It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Could You Please Make This AWESOME! Feature a Reality for ATS Members, I Think We Would Love It!!

page: 1
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Most member's, who have used ATMS for a short while, know that there are a list of site features available in threads. Located just below everyone's avatar and account information, which includes; date joined, online/offline, location, mood, recent login activity, and the total number of posts/stars/flags accumulated by each member respectively.

This drop down list has several very nice features. They allow members to have more control, while providing a more in-depth experience on ATMS.

One of my favorite features in the the drop-down list is 'in-thread posts', which displays only the posts made in the thread by the chosen member.

Other features found in the drop-down list are;

The ability to see all posts by the members in every thread they have commented.
The ability to view all threads authored by the member, go to member's profile, send a U, make friend, make rival, and the ALERT! feature.

Although these are all great features and can be used in a number of different ways, depending on what the goal is, there is room for improvement.

I believe the next feature that should be added could be the most popular feature among all active members.

If ATMS could add the feature, 'See All Responses to this Post', I believe it would be a huge hit with the membership and one of the most important options when member's are engaged in a good debate with an individual, in a thread that is gaining tons of interests and posts.

Many times replies are simply missed and other times members just give up on the thread, due to it's rapid growth.

I know this would be the most used feature for me, without doubt.

While I am wishing, I should go ahead and ask that ATMS gives us the option of being alerted each time someone replies directly to a post we have made in a thread.

I know there are many times I have posted to someone on the first 3-5 pages of a thread, not realizing the thread is now 25 pages long and the member I replied to had long since exited the thread debate.

On the other side of the coin, there have been times when someone replied to me, but it was much later in the thread and I missed it.

Sometimes when I post on page 10+/- and have to leave for a couple hours, I return to find the thread has blow up into 30+ pages and find it frustrating digging through ever page and every post to find out if there is or isn't any replies directed toward my earlier comments.

I know it must happen to a large majority of members.

I would like to ask the ATMS staff, administrators, and owners - respectively - can you please work on adding the 'See All Replies to this Post' feature...

Don't roast me too hard if there is already a feature like that here and I am just a bit too dense to realize it.




posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
That would be a good addition, but I don't know how feasible it is for the site designers to implement.

Sometimes I have a hard time keeping up in certain threads as well, and other times I find a reply or question that was posted weeks before that I missed.



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
i would also like to say that would be very helpful

an other idea i like kinda off topic but worth putting out there would be a at bottom of postes an option to show username " "Likes" as in jplaysguitar, johnsmith, janedoe, teddy ruxband liked your post/thread
i feel it would help site content by reduceing oneliners
many a times i want to let poster know i enjoyed there content but a star dosent always seem to be enough praise for the gold often found in the comments

but to the OP i actually was looking for the "all responses to this post " feature when i first started here
great contribution to an awsome site!



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I agree with the extended replies to posts that are not your own it would be handy, but as for replies to you specifically you can go to the ribbon the shows at the bottom when a page loads and click messages. Once in your mesages section you can click replies and see all the replies people have made to your posts.


The problem is that if you are a thread author and they reply to the thread and not you specifically they will not show in your replies section. Maybe an addition to this feature could help.



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812
 


I didn't know about the in-thread posts! That's pretty cool!


Good suggestion too!

Would also be great if we could automatically go to the last post read when we enter the thread instead of trying to find where we left off



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
While I am wishing, I should go ahead and ask that ATMS gives us the option of being alerted each time someone replies directly to a post we have made in a thread.

Do you mean something like the "REPLIES" option on your Member Center, Messages area?

Edit: I see Agarta had already posted this information, that's what happens when I take too long to make a post.


PS: what's ATMS?
edit on 7/7/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar
 


Another great idea!!
It would be great to see who stars and flags your posts and threads! Would also keep from having to reply with one liner!
....or having to think of lots to say so it's more than one line like I just did!!



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
I agree with the extended replies to posts that are not your own it would be handy, but as for replies to you specifically you can go to the ribbon the shows at the bottom when a page loads and click messages. Once in your mesages section you can click replies and see all the replies people have made to your posts.


The problem is that if you are a thread author and they reply to the thread and not you specifically they will not show in your replies section. Maybe an addition to this feature could help.


I have been here for a bit and only learned of this little trick the other day. It is a handy tool, but hard to "just find" out of the blue.



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
You should be able to subscribe to replies made to any individual post or to any posts made by specific members.


In a 500+ post thread, sometimes I just want to see replies to Phage's comments, as an example. Or maybe there was one really good post, and I just want to see how people react to that.



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tearman
You should be able to subscribe to replies made to any individual post or to any posts made by specific members.


In a 500+ post thread, sometimes I just want to see replies to Phage's comments, as an example. Or maybe there was one really good post, and I just want to see how people react to that.




You can.

Its in the profile page.......

www.abovetopsecret.com...



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta
 


yes! that is good info and, believe it or not, I knew about that, but had forgotten to look there for it. I thought there was that option on here when I first joined, but couldn't find it after changes were made to rewards set up and eventually convinced myself I was mistaken and it was never available.

ETA: I am sure I have seen that many times in the messages page, but it never crossed my mind that it was related to recent posts... Instead, I am sure I associated it as 'replies' to my sent U2U's... never dawned on me that there is an inbox and a replies tab and they both can't be the same thing...

If we could just get them to place a shortcut in the drop down members box, below our avatars, beside our in-thread posts we would be in the $$.

Being able to see all replies to specific in thread posts would be outstanding. I'd like to see it in the same format as the other post option - such as the 'posts in this thread', where all the member's posts are combined and displayed, in full, on a dedicated page.

Seeing a page that appears just as a normal thread appears, but with only the replies to our in-thread posts.

ATS has it almost as I prefer, but if this one aspect was tweaked, it would really be my conspiracy laden utopian paradise! haha

thanks again
edit on 7-7-2012 by esteay812 because: ITE



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1
 


Thanks for that. I didn't know about it. Is there an easy way to select a single post for a subscription from within the thread that the post exists?



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1
 


hmmm... I know about the profile page, where you can see a list of the member's most recent posts, up to 800 I believe,as well as all their threads authored, etc... it is in the same realm as my OP, but ot exactly the same thing I would like to see implmented.

If I make a post and I want to see only the member replies to that specific post, I'd like to be able to do so from a feature in the drop down menu.

If everyone's drop down had this option, then we would have the ability to quickly open a tab where only replies to the relative post are displayed, without the need to jump to profile or subscribe, etc.

It would be nice to see it made very simple and very accessible, I think the best way for that is to include it in the drop down...

maybe while ATS is working on Home Page format, they can throw this little feature in for me... I would offer money, but I believe this feature to be priceless, so best I could do is a big thanks if they install the feature for us...

by priceless I don't mean worthless



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Tearman
 


No. You can Flag a thread,and that will keep you current with it. You can search a profile to keep track of a certain ATS member in the thread. If your invested in the thread, your best option is to just look up the profile of the member, and see where he/she has been on it. Its really not that hard doing it. its actually quick.



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tearman
 


That would be really good to know.

Regardless if there is a way to see replies to specific posts only, I would still like to have the feature placed in the drop down menu... seems like the perfect place for it, considering the other similar options to view 'all threads, all posts, all in-thread posts' are located there



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1
 


Personally I would prefer the capability to click a feature in the drop down menu and have all direct replies to a post combined on that one page. It can be done by going to profile page, but on some occasions that would also require visiting several member profile's to find their replies.

I know I am repeating myself, I hope it isn't too annoying and overly redundant... it's not my fault, I am suffering from the early stages of acute delirium after being awake almost all night last night and working outside in 104dF all day today... I know, I know - excuses, excuses, excuses



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812
 


I hear ya..


I am sure the Mods/Owners will get back to you on it, in this thread.......



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP
 


ATMS? I can't believe you don't know! and you're a mod?? jeez-o-pete!!

At-The-Moment-Sir

All-The-Master's-Slaves

Another-Thread-Manipulating-Sucker

All-Thought-Must-Stop (which it apparently has for me)

really, here is what ATSM is;

supposed to be ATS, but went something like this AT, so I backspaced to insert S, but doing so caused me to erase the , and required I retype the , comma after correcting the original tyop... which should have ended like so - ATS,

but instead, I was too quick on the draw with the , comma, and I was still holding down the shift key , to capitalize the s.

In the next step I simply allowed myself to hit the letter m instead of the , comma - and since I was holding the shift key, it went in as an M.

Following the M I positioned in the wrong spot with improper capitalization, I closed the series by also improperly placing the S at the end, to the right of the M - this allowed me to create the highly sought after series of letters - ATMS

Finally, to complete the maneuver, I made sure to pay no attention to my typing, while also saving valuable seconds by avoiding an ABC check. The end result is what caught your eye.

This is a very complex maneuver and I do not suggest any amateur attempt such a move at home and/or without proper supervision.

Advanced moves like this, performed improperly, have been known to completely retard even the most astute amateurs back to a 1st grade reading and writing level.

In the most sever cases, it's possible to be retarded so far back that the victims enter a life long catatonic state, where - oddly enough - reruns of Sesame Street constantly loop through the victim's mind.

This leads many experts on the condition to believe the Sesame Street reruns, that replay constantly in some victims, are atleast partly responsible for leading the victims to ceaselessly bake cookies and throw them into a garbage can near a road.

It's also suspected to carry a close link to victims who are obssessed with buying massive quantities of batter and constantly mumbling things like 'That is the biggest bird in the Universe, I am never gonna have enough batter for that thing'

Others have been heard mumbling things like, 'All the starving kids in the world and we tolerate a glutton for cookies' or 'We let a massive yellow bird run around without a care in the world, when it could obviously feed a small country for years'

Not all victims are are so resentful in their comments. Some have tried to open centers with a workshop where new numbers can be built all day long.

They propose the building of such a 'number construction' shop could help keep vampires off the street. They believe this will spare many potential victims from the horror of hearing each drop of blood counted as it is slowly sucked out.

ok... I'm done, sorry for any more tyops in fantasyland above... really just tired and amusing myself and thanks for all the replies

edit on 7-7-2012 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Definitely some good suggestions in this thread. If you find yourself reading this post, but you haven't read any member replies above, you should check them out. Some decent info and cool suggestions...

I do wonder how many of the suggesstions have ever been considered in the past, or if any of them have. It might be interesting to learn why some of the ideas in this thread were decided against - that is, if they have been considered in the past



posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by ArMaP
 


ATMS? I can't believe you don't know! and you're a mod?? jeez-o-pete!!

At-The-Moment-Sir

All-The-Master's-Slaves

Another-Thread-Manipulating-Sucker

All-Thought-Must-Stop (which it apparently has for me)

really, here is what ATSM is;

supposed to be ATS, but went something like this AT, so I backspaced to insert S, but doing so caused me to erase the , and required I retype the , comma after correcting the original tyop... which should have ended like so - ATS,

but instead, I was too quick on the draw with the , comma, and I was still holding down the shift key , to capitalize the s.

In the next step I simply allowed myself to hit the letter m instead of the , comma - and since I was holding the shift key, it went in as an M.

Following the M I positioned in the wrong spot with improper capitalization, I closed the series by also improperly placing the S at the end, to the right of the M - this allowed me to create the highly sought after series of letters - ATMS

Finally, to complete the maneuver, I made sure to pay no attention to my typing, while also saving valuable seconds by avoiding an ABC check. The end result is what caught your eye.

This is a very complex maneuver and I do not suggest any amateur attempt such a move at home and/or without proper supervision.

Advanced moves like this, performed improperly, have been known to completely retard even the most astute amateurs back to a 1st grade reading and writing level.

In the most sever cases, it's possible to be retarded so far back that the victims enter a life long catatonic state, where - oddly enough - reruns of Sesame Street constantly loop through the victim's mind.

This leads many experts on the condition to believe the Sesame Street reruns, that replay constantly in some victims, are atleast partly responsible for leading the victims to ceaselessly bake cookies and throw them into a garbage can near a road.

It's also suspected to carry a close link to victims who are obssessed with buying massive quantities of batter and constantly mumbling things like 'That is the biggest bird in the Universe, I am never gonna have enough batter for that thing'

Others have been heard mumbling things like, 'All the starving kids in the world and we tolerate a glutton for cookies' or 'We let a massive yellow bird run around without a care in the world, when it could obviously feed a small country for years'

Not all victims are are so resentful in their comments. Some have tried to open centers with a workshop where new numbers can be built all day long.

They propose the building of such a 'number construction' shop could help keep vampires off the street. They believe this will spare many potential victims from the horror of hearing each drop of blood counted as it is slowly sucked out.

ok... I'm done, sorry for any more tyops in fantasyland above... really just tired and amusing myself and thanks for all the replies

edit on 7-7-2012 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)


Dude what are you on, I want some ! Tyops
Is that on purpose ?

Back On Topic - this is a good subject to raise. I only found the 'replies' function by accident when looking at my U2U's. This function should be more visible/available.

I like the idea too of seeing a flags/stars list (of your threads) next to members names. You could have more friends (people of like-mind) than you realise.

Peace




top topics



 
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join