It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Complicated songs to learn on guitar....?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

PLEASE READ

Thank you for clicking on my thread. I have been playing guitar for about 7years. I have learned allot but not 7 years worth. 5 of those years I was not really learning any thing new mostly just playing around with blues improvisation. I want to step it up a notch. I prefer complicated songs because I do not remember simple songs. The best way I can describe is like a kid in a lower school grade then he should be so he loses concentration.
I just finished this song, so it should give you some context to my skill level. All though It did take me a bit of time to master the timing.
This is not my video

I learned this song from a site called songster. Best guitar tool I have used so far. On this site you can slow the music down and control the volume of individual instruments.
Thanks, I look forward to your post.

edit on 7-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
check out keller williams (solo acoustic) Leo Kottke and chris smither. master those styles and you will be rich

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
check out keller williams (solo acoustic) Leo Kottke and chris smither. master those styles and you will be rich

grate musicians but I am not much of a acoustic player.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Free Bird!

Lynard Skynard

And one of my all time favs: Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac

edit on 7-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
You want complex? Try this Eric Johnson number from the late '80s. This video is just the studio version. You can find many videos of him playing it live, even from the past few years, but they all have looong intros where he's jamming.

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
edit on 7/7/2012 by Jodash because: improper video insertion

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
sh well i have not one but two gems for you... fist one will keep you busy for about a year and half by a popular band called (Radiohead) the song name is paranoid android [fiting given we are ATS members] this song is so easy to love but definatly advanced to learn
and the second is a song called (you enjoy myself) from an awsome band called phish. my best friend learned that one in just three years

oh and hears a bounus tricky song that i have been working for two years now but dounds amazing ehen you start peiceing it to gether Neon by John Mayer
i recomend seaching live versions on youtube you are bound to go for one them and thay are all very different enjoy and keep me posted on how its coming
-jplays*blues*guitar

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
My suggestion for acoustic would be Mason Williams' Classical Gas...

There's a tutorial video for it on the unitedwetab youtube channel...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Agh what can I advise you cos it sounds like you've hit one of those walls you come up against at different times.

I've playing for 25 years now and know fine that the things that have worked for me somebody else would find useless.

Well,we all start learning to play songs from our favourite bands.And maybe tutorials,viideos and articles can be help full but putting on the record and playing along to songs I knew and then trying to suss out songs I didn't by listening and trying.

That taught me to play by ear,to know by playing a chord or picking out the strings whether it's in tune to concert pitch.

I've never bothered to learn to read music,just tab because if I want to learn the song I just listen to it.lol.

Some theory's good.Your chords sequenceps in each key major and relative minor.I know if you been doing blues improvisation you'll be familiar with 12 bar progressios but focus more
on chords and inversions,aug,dom,6.7.9 chords through each key along with the associated modes ,,that can be real hard to master,for no other reason than it can be dull as s**t.

You'd be far better to break it down to practice pieces yourself cos you'll begin to hear it properly.

Practice that sort of thing for the first 20 or 30 mins it'll be instinct in no time.

Again not knowing what you're into,what level you're at what to suggest.

I watched your vid,the Turkish/Mozart neo classical stuff so you're into lead.

Don't,don't,don't focus on being a lead player but guitarist,thats my advice.i spent my fist 5 or so years trying to be Angus Young,Jimmy Page,Jimi Hendrix etc,etc and I learnt good,real good.

I'd practiced and devoured Yngwie Malmsteen,Kirk Hammett, Eddie Van H and all sorts n could amaze people,good players töo so i figured I was ready to get a band together and amaze people live.

Bul****t !!.Was a great lead playr,could improvise off solos etc all day but I'd put just about enough into learning rhythm,backing and what hung a somg together I was barely a 2nd rate rhythm guitarist and had to go back and learn that side.

That's why I say master the circle of keys,chord progs,scales and modes to heart.

Clearly you want to get better but nothing works like jamming with heaps other people n get a band together cos that stretches you in new ways,try n learn stuff that's completely unfamiliar to you.

If you're into metal n rock try a little bluegrass or 70's acid jazz/funk maybe.If you're really sad Country and Western,haha.
If you can play be ear then keep the guitar close and play along to jingles on t.v adverts or program/movie soundtracks while you watch

I hit a real brickwall hard 10 year ago,loving playing wi the band but there was nothing i was mad to learn,no inspiration until I'd heard some Trad English folk music that intrigued me so I bought a CD by Martin Carthy and another by Bert jansch.

Was the best 2 cds I bought that year,their guitar style baffled me.I could copy parts but the secret of it took a good few months to get.

Carthy played with a guy called Dave Swarbrick a virtuoso flddle player who's melodies n backing soars,dives,dances almost akin to way hendrix playing live would entwine with his vocals,,any guitarist who gets lead would appreciate this guy.He's brilliant.

In fact try and download a song ~ Jack Orion by Martin Carthy n Dave Swarbrick.

Think it's ön the album But Two Came By

Doubt you'd like the song but its worth it tö hear the fiddle

Spent so long trying to emulate it
on my Strat and get the essence of it with some degree of success,its the fiddle technique and sound i wanted by playing not by programmable digital effects processer,would own one.

Anyway hope a bit helps

Bob.

new topics

top topics

join