It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the philosophers stone?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
What is the philosophers stone?

They have been seeking it for eons

i will give more hints later, think

What does a philosopher use and we all have one

edit: i have never watched harry potty so its not in that
edit on 7-7-2012 by canyouhandletruth because: to ad more

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by canyouhandletruth

I was intrigued by the title but left with no answer. Could you elaborate a little? Are you saying the philosopher stone is in all of us?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I can't... Imagine.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Watch Harry Potter and the sorcerers stone

2nd

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I don't think I have one...but I would like to have one.

I am not sure if you are asking for an explanation of what it is, or if you are giving some sort of riddle?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Alchemy was not so much about making gold as it was about gaining enlightenment. The outer alchemy mirrored the inner alchemy. So, the philosophers stone was a psychophysical manifestation of enlightenment.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The philosopher's stone is the search for immortality. There are books which are believed to harbour the secret of the practice in producing or achieving this, but they are extremely perplexing and written in riddles. Of course the authors of such texts can't tell you the secrets plain and simple, not everyone is supposed to achieve such feats.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Haha, I love your comment, and I love your avatar, Side Show Bob! Arrghhh! Lol

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The philosopher's stone is an very old symbol for knowledge. In fables and secret writings it has the power to turn lead into gold or any other kind of transmutational magic. Esoterically I believe it to have something more to do with the laws of Thoth, more specifically mental transmutation.

Many yet have lived and claimed to know this stone, including Isaac Newton.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
While I have not done much serious research on the subject, you do hear different takes on it here and there if you have certain tastes in reading material.

I have always been intrigued by the surface explanation of transmutation of lead into gold- which is only half the story, but the half that most captivated the uninitiated. The reason this amazes me so much is the fact that you COULD turn lead into gold, in the same way that breeder reactors turn non-fissile material into more fuel, but there was no understanding whatsoever of the principles that made this possible at the time. It makes me wonder if somebody didn't find an as of yet unrecognized natural process whereby very small amounts of lead could be exposed to particle bombardment and eventually transmuted into gold. So there might be an inefficient and mostly trivial basis to it.

The above is important to the metaphysical side of the philosopher's stone, as one of the best known principles of alchemy is "as above, so below", meaning that higher and lower forms which do not immediately seem alike- even the life cycles of natural things like metamorphosing insects, seeds/plants, and even minerals (which seem to grow at a slow pace, through processes like crystalization or gradual depositing by water) are in fact reflections of each other on different scales. Thus when an alchemist saw a good change taking place anywhere in the physical world, it was an opportunity to understand the complexities of the human soul.

So if an alchemist were to stumble upon a process by which something black and dirty and "bad" was juxtaposed with something beautiful, clean, incorruptible and valuable- either just because lead and gold do occur together naturally in some ores, or because they had actually discovered some process like I described in the first paragraph, then this would have seemed to hold the promise of human redemption, elevation, or enlightenment, and he would be compelled to understand the process metaphorically.
edit on Sat 7 Jul 2012 by The Vagabond because: edit to fix typo (incomplete sentence)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Wikipidea is your friend.

and assange's wikileaks
and facebook eheh

twitter

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
Watch Harry Potter and the sorcerers stone

2nd

you gota be joking right? Harry potty lol

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace

You would have to ask Harry Potter
I always thought it was the Philosophers bone
Which i keep in my pants

Cran

eh eh and for men yes very close mate

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
Alchemy was not so much about making gold as it was about gaining enlightenment. The outer alchemy mirrored the inner alchemy. So, the philosophers stone was a psychophysical manifestation of enlightenment.

yes an enlightened what?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

There are many, many takes on it. The viewpoints are as varied as the people who hold the viewpoints. Here is one take, from Manly Hall's book The Secret Teachings Of All Ages:

bigfatfurrytexan.wordpress.com...

A LETTER FROM THE
BROTHERS OF R. C. (ROSE CROSS)

Although Eugenius Philalethes disclaimed membership in the Rosicrucian Fraternity, it is believed that for a number of years he was the head of that Order. In a little work called Lumen de Lumine, or A New Magical Light Discovered and Communicated to the World, published in London in 1651, Eugenius Philalethes gives a remarkable letter, presumably from the Rosicrucian Order. Accompanying the letter is an emblematic figure setting forth in symbolic form the processes and formulæ of the Philosopher’s Stone. This epistle is an excellent example of the Rosicrucian system of combining abstract theological speculations with concrete chemical formulæ. With the aid of the material contained in various parts of this present book the student would do well to set himself the task of solving the riddle contained in this hieroglyph.

“A Letter from the Brothers of R. C. Concerning the Invisible, Magical Mountain, And the Treasure therein Contained.

“Every man naturally desires a superiority, to have treasures of Gold and Silver [intellect and soul], and to seem great in the eyes of the world. God indeed created all things for the use of man, that he might rule over them, and acknowledge therein the singular goodness and omnipotence of God, give Him thanks for His benefits, honor Him and praise Him. But there is no man looks after these things, otherwise than by spending his days idly; they would enjoy them without any previous labor and danger; neither do they look them out of that place where God hath treasured them up, Who expects also that man should seek for them there, and to those that seek will He give them. But there is not any that labors for a possession in that place, and therefore these riches are not found: For the way to this place, and the place itself hath been unknown for a long time, and it is hidden from the greatest part of the world. But notwithstanding it be difficult and laborious to find Out this way and place, yet the place should be sought after.

more if you click the link

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The stone is a material that could transmute substances to their highest form. e.g. - metals

In the body it would be the mind, for example.

If the creator created man to experience himself through the creation process then the stone is a method of adaptation which allows the creation to progress throughout the chaos of life.

As some have eluded, from a spiritual perspective, the stone would help the spirit move to its most high state.

At the end of the day it is a milestone marker in the project of the great work.

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join