It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual Geological Event in Lousiana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Saw this on the RSOE EDIS map...

Assumption Parish emergency officials have asked to meet with an expert from the U.S. Geological Survey and for portable seismic equipment to get a better understanding of new tremors reported in the Bayou Corne and Grand Bayou areas, officials said Friday. The earth tremors are being reported by residents in a swampy area of northern Assumption Parish where venting streams of natural gas have been roiling the surface of waterways for about a month.

Full Article

Apparently on Tuesday and Wednesday tremors were reported at the same time. It just seems weird to me that the tremors happened at the same time on two different days. They are not connecting the tremors to the gas leak but also can't find the source of the leaking gas. Is this something that can create an actual earthquake? Or does it have anything to do with fracking? (not sure if there is fracking in that area or not)

Another article

also, in August of 2010 there was an oil blowout in the area

oil blowout article

Mods: if this has already been posted, feel free to delete, i searched and couldn't find anything..

edit on 7-7-2012 by ML8715 because: added links.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
i found a couple of vids on you tube that show the bubbing gas.
i wonder if this has something to do with the new madrid fault waking up?

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-7-2012 by lonewolf10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
it does seem like pipe fractures, that's ALOT of gas coming up.
But the shifting of the homes and cracking of foundations kinda could relate to that, but if it's not....

I'd worry about flooding honestly.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
that's awfully weird. if i lived there i'd be worried. people are saying their houses moved. that's some pretty significant shaking. i wonder how long before the USGS gives a report...

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf10
i found a couple of vids on you tube that show the bubbing gas.
i wonder if this has something to do with the new madrid fault waking up?

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-7-2012 by lonewolf10 because: (no reason given)

Thanks for finding those!

I didn't even really think about the new madrid fault. But It seems like something is going on underground, shifting and causing the gas to leak. I'd be pretty freaked out if the foundation on my house was cracking from that. I just hope they figure it out before something really bad happens.

Also, I wonder how this is affecting fish in the waters if at all.

Have to go to work soon but will try to find some more stuff about this while I'm there if it's slow.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
that's awfully weird. if i lived there i'd be worried. people are saying their houses moved. that's some pretty significant shaking. i wonder how long before the USGS gives a report...

I'd definitely be worried too. And I wonder if it's shaking similar to an earthquake, or more like a slower, kind of shifting movement that they're feeling. I'm surprised that the USGS hasn't given a report yet if the shaking was bad enough for houses to move..

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
That is interesting that this is still happening and kind of scary. Glad I saw this update. I read about this happening before in this thread, which has some useful information in it.

Mysterious bubbles in Bayou Corne. Homes shifting around nearby

www.abovetopsecret.com

This article was interesting and says that the USGS is not detecting these tremors, and it also mentions earthquakes, even though they have not officially detected any.

Efforts intensify to find gas leaks in Assumption waterways

Link

Also emerging from the steamy meeting Thursday were reports of earth tremors that rattled homes and cracked residential concrete slabs. Ball did not dispute reports of a June 8 tremor but said U.S. Geological Survey seismic monitors did not detect the tremors. “We know it happened because you guys reported it. It’s just that their instruments weren’t sensitive enough to detect it,” Ball said.

He said officials do not know the cause, however, whether the tremors are connected to natural gas leaks — which have expanded in number since the May 30 report — or are from natural subsidence common in the area. Ball noted Louisiana’s earthquake of greatest magnitude occurred in the area in 1930.

In a later interview, Charlet, who said she is from California, said the June 8 tremor felt similar to the larger quakes in her former home state.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I would not be surprised if the cause of the tremors was induced seismicity from well injection, because Bayou Corne is like just a km away from this massive energy facility, and you can see all kinds of pipes running into the ground. Go look for yourselves in Google Earth or maps.

Bayou Corn is in upper left, red marker. Facilities to the right.

I have just done a similar story of induced seismicity from geothermal injection causing massive amounts of quakes here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Is there any way these well injections, fracking, and other such underground drilling / injecting methods could possibly shift parts of the crust via triggering earthquakes eventually.

I mean aren't we putting things that didn't belong underground?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
So they know what the gas emissions are made up of..

John Boudreaux, director of the Assumption Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, said the gas emissions contain methane, ethane and propane, which is an indication it is likely from oil and a gas exploration.

Link

Interesting, indication it's likely from oil and gas exploration....

Also from that article,

Boudreaux said the bubbles began about three weeks ago and started with one location. They have since increased to about a dozen, he said

I really don't know much about the testing they have to do to figure out where it's coming from and all that, and maybe it does take a long time, but if it's making houses move, and it's been going on for 3 weeks and obviously becoming more of a problem, why do they have NO answers yet? Wonder how many locations they will be in in another 3 weeks. I just hope they can figure it out before it becomes something bad.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ML8715

Interesting, indication it's likely from oil and gas exploration....

I really don't know much about the testing they have to do to figure out where it's coming from and all that, and maybe it does take a long time, but if it's making houses move, and it's been going on for 3 weeks and obviously becoming more of a problem, why do they have NO answers yet?

No surprise there, that it probably is from oil and gas exploration. And it does seem like the testing is taking a long time. I do not really know about the testing either, but there has to be equipment that can find the source. I hope they find the cause as the people there must be kind of worried.

Lately, it seems like this happening more often, that people's property is being damaged by these kind of events and some of the time "no one" is responsible. This makes me glad that I do not live near drilling or fracing areas.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Last fall sometime, I remember seeing what looked like a seismograph machine. It was yellow and black, I believe, and it looked like a mini generator, sort of. It was chained to a tree, to keep anyone from stealing it. I could be completely wrong about what it is.

It looked a bit like this:

This was on a University campus located in Lafayette, LA.

I was wondering what the hell they could be measuring or checking for down here. I mean, seriously. We never have issues with earthquakes. I have no idea what else the equipment could be used for. Again, I don't know what it was. I didn't see any label or markings on it. I think I remember seeing plugs, but I don't know what they were for, other than to maybe recharge it.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Another unusual geological event here Wednesday night...

A sharp tremor was recorded by USGS monitors just after 9 p.m. Wednesday at the site of the giant Louisiana sinkhole in Assumption Parish.

This sinkhole is FOUR ACRES in size....that's pretty big..
I would just like to know like..what exactly are they doing about this? How are they going to stop it?

RSOE EDIS link
edit on 26-10-2012 by ML8715 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join