It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roll-Your-Own Tobacco Stores May Cease To Exist Under New Law

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Well, switch to electronic cigarettes. They are even more cheaper and don't smell. I prefer e-cigs myself, but when waiting for an order, I will get a pack. Yes, they are expensive $7.40 a pack now when they used to be $3.65 a few years ago.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
What a shame, they didn't put the fSC BS in the loose tobacco. First they made the house blend illegal, now they are banning them entirely.. Go figure. Grow your own i guess.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

To make sure i am clear, the issue here isn't that roll your own tobacco will no longer be available. It is that the stores will not be allowed to let you roll them in their store using their machine?

What is really wrong with this? I mean, other than the obvious tax scam that excise taxes really are? It is like having a license to sell liquor, but not one to serve it. Like when you walk into a convenience store in Texas, the sign says, "It is illegal/unlawful to consume liquor or beer on these premises" (then repeated in espanol).

Just buy your own rolling machines. They aren't that expensive.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

Looks like these shops are misusing a loophole meant for pipe tobacco. This new law will correct that loophole. So?

The new federal law makes it harder for stores with roll-your-own cigarette machines to classify the tobacco they sell as pipe tobacco –- which is taxed at a lower rate than cigarette tobacco.

Want to smoke tobacco without paying taxes? Grow and cure your own. Problem, solution.

encouraging the gov to make people pay more for their personal preferences and freedoms to consume, use, like what they wish that causes no one else harm, is a slippery slope with a cliff attached.

Sure. But all this is doing is closing a loophole meant to allow people to sell pipe tobacco. I'm all for personal liberty, direct and explicit. Not people misusing loopholes.

And like I said, you are free to grow and cue your own. I've done it before. Empower yourself instead of blaming the 'government'.
you're so confused it's downright scary.
gotta love the opinions of NON-smokers, you guys are soooooo obvious.

there has NEVER been a law that outlaws rolling your own smokes.
this law doesn't outlaw rolling your own smokes. what it does do, is "limit" the access to mechanical forms of assistance, nothing more.

the bill gives EXCLUSIVE privilege to the existing tobacco industry manufacturers.
this bill makes it illegal for any American to utilize readily available machines to assist their process of rolling.
NO one buys tobacco (from a retailer) without paying taxes.
the only loss in taxes is a minor reduction that normally lines the pockets of big tobacco.

this bill does nothing to "re-classify" the uses of tobacco, that's total BS.
i can and will continue to buy loose tobacco and use it any dang way i want.
matter of fact, i've already suggested to the local owners, to move their machines onto private property and OFFER to roll tobacco for free, then those who do, can DONATE freely with no "legal conflicts" whatsoever.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Just buy your own rolling machines. They aren't that expensive
most ppl already do this but this is about restricting access to automated assistance and that's total BS.

it's no different than the govt forcing you to trade in your riding mower for a manual, minus electric start, push one. like these were ... www.thatsfit.com...
what gives them such a right ??

edit on 7-7-2012 by Honor93 because: add pic link

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Anything to make more money at the peoples' expense. Not only will they be robbing the people of money selling their products but they will also be making the people more and more sick. A reason many people roll their own cigarettes and buy tobacco separately like that is because it isn't treated and filled with all of those deadly chemicals and carcinogens. They want to get their nicotine but in a healthier way. Now that they're doing away with that, I can see cancer spreading even more quickly. Everything to make money. -Shakes head-

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
lucky you dont live in the uk a pack of 20 cigs costs £7.50 or $12 & loose tobacco for 50grams costs £ 15 or $23 in europe you can get the same loose tobacco for £3 .but the uk will not allow you to post this . electronic cigs are the way ahead

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Spoke to the owner of our local smoke shop, you have it a little off.

1) only the automatic machines installed in shops to have customers roll them on site will be affected.
2) there is no ban on pouches or can's of tobacco and papers to roll them or even the little hand machines you can buy and take home.
3) this law came about because of one reason and one reason alone, liability, if someone is using one of these machines in a shop and gets a body part caught in it, who pays... since they were unlicensed, the insurance companies refused, the states certainly refused, and owners said a collective screw you at the government and put out scare tactics saying all roll your own supplies would be banned, it's simply NOT TRUE...read again

ONLY THE MECHANICAL MACHINES I N S T A L L E D IN SMOKE SHOPS WOULD BE OUTLAWED!! I'm so sick of things being blown so out of proportion it's not funny.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

they aren't forcing anyone to do anything. You pay a tax and register the proper paperwork to manufacture cigarettes, then you keep the machines. Simple, not a problem. If the shop owners feel that strongly about that element of their business, then they should invest in the cost of doing business.

I don't like excise taxes to begin with. But, since this is standard in the world of tax, regulation, and business, i see it as "when in rome, do as the romans do".

when we elected Obama we had to expect that the tendrils of government would expand. messing with tobacco sales is part and parcel to the idea of "big government".

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saphira
I'm solving my cigarette problem with an E-smoke. E-smokes vaporize liquid nicotine, so there is no combustion of paper, nor any smoke to inhale. It's simply vapour.
Big-pharma doesn't get my money anymore, nor do the tobacco companies. A "carton" of E-liquid runs me about $22, which is way cheaper than the $80 I was spending before. I no longer have a smokers cough, I don't smell like tobacco, and I can smoke my E-smoke anywhere!

I use one but only to get me through the last hour of work. I know it sounds absurd but the hit from e-cigs is harsher on the throat than regular smokes.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

they certainly are.
i have access to automation now, this restricts that access, period.

i can buy a machine today (if i had the cash) without registering as anything.
it is no different than a milkshake maker or microwave.
(and actually, both of them are more difficult to operate)

the SHOP nor it's service personnel are manufacturing anything, I AM.
they simply offer the automated and mechanical assistance that makes my manufactoring easier.
if i don't need a manufacturing license to sew a dress, they don't need one to provide access to the "sewing machine".

your argument FOR this legislation is ridiculous.

so, you're ok if we tax you for every lunch you pack, every lawn you mow, every stitch on every piece of material, every time you "craft" anything, right?

i didn't vote for him, so no, i didn't expect such intrusions upon my pursuit of happiness.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
to those using e-cigs, are you aware of their toxicity ?
i tried them, no thanks, then i came across stories like this one ...

health.usnews.com...
WEDNESDAY, July 22 (HealthDay News) -- Testing of electronic cigarettes, known as e-cigarettes, has shown that they contain cancer-causing chemicals and other toxins, including a compound used in antifreeze, U.S. health officials said Wednesday.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I don't recall saying anything was going to be banned. However what I did say was it could affect shops whose primary business comes from RYO smokes based on using these machines, because they only sell loose tobacco, not packaged cigarettes.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
reply to post by vkey08

I don't recall saying anything was going to be banned. However what I did say was it could affect shops whose primary business comes from RYO smokes based on using these machines, because they only sell loose tobacco, not packaged cigarettes.

They can still sell roll your own tobacco, just not have the machines on site... it was that or raise taxes tremendously to pay for the possible injuries..

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I'm aware of that, thank you.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

i'm curious what "possible injuries" you refer.
i've used these machines and they are not dangerous in any manner of thinking.
there is more personal interaction with mechanical parts in making a pot of coffee.

which goes back to ... we can own the machines used in any commercial service business without needing a license, registration of any kind and with a greater physical liability, so what's the deal, really ?

ETA: if i choose to install a gas pump on my property, there is nothing restricting me from doing so other than the "sale" of said fuel stored. if i choose to install a commercial press in my garage, i can screen print anything i want, i just can't "sell" it.
edit on 7-7-2012 by Honor93 because: add txt

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

I am not arguing for any legislation. I think all laws should be stricken and redone to get us back to a lean, logical legal system.

HOwever, I am a businessman who has jumped through similar hoops for liquor licensing. This is very logical, and totally in line with what you would expect our government to do. If you want to express outrage, express it over something that is truly ridiculous like the grope and rope by the TSA. I have noticed that I still cannot fly (because i have principles and won't fly so long as it gets me fondled and scanned), yet few people really seem to give a damn anymore.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Yes the tax hike did up the price of cigs on reservations. The day after the 75 cent/pack tax went into effect, a carton of seneca on the reservation in Kansas went from $12.25 to $19.75. Now they have a little native american stamp where the non indian cigs have the tax stamp.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Looks like these shops are misusing a loophole meant for pipe tobacco. This new law will correct that loophole. So?

The new federal law makes it harder for stores with roll-your-own cigarette machines to classify the tobacco they sell as pipe tobacco –- which is taxed at a lower rate than cigarette tobacco.

Want to smoke tobacco without paying taxes? Grow and cure your own. Problem, solution.

Want to drink tea without paying taxes? Grow and cure your own. Problem, solution. That's what they should have said at Boston Harbor. Fighting spirit!

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Saphira

Several family members and myself started vaping a year or so ago and the health benefits are so great! Lost my smokers cough and a got an energy boost I haven't known since my teens. I would also encourage smokers to go this route. Easiest way I have ever found to lay down the smokes! Get yourself a good product though.. Finding the right flavor for yourself is a bit more trial and error.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join