It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are some people so offended by Conspiracy Theories???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
i think it is because conspiracy theorists often come off as arrogant know-it-all's that call them "sheep", and "sheeple", claim people that don't find the CT persuasive are "close-minded" aka "doesn't agree with the CT"

oh and conspiracy theories also insult dead people, or hard working people as someone said, like claiming that 9/11 was something other than what it appeared.
many people also find conspiracy theories to be anti-patriotic, and attack the persons values and the way they define themselves, a lot of people do consider being a proud american to be a part of their own self-image.
no one wants to have part of their self-value torn down by a person who sounds crazy to them.

i also think that most people find conspiracy theories offensive because often times the conspiracy theory is so full of nonsense about a topic the theorist knows nothing about that those who do know or have studied the topic find the theory stupid beyond words.
or the idea is so implausible that the idea of it being true feels offensive, since it is so far from reality that it makes the person angry,

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I do not think its about being offended. It's just the sheer stupidity of people to suddenly propose a conspiracy theory without having investigated it fully or done enough research to find other alternative explanations. Nowadays people are making conspiracy theories up daily and quite frankly, most of them are utter nonsense. The worst conspiracy theory I have heard is the 9/11 and 7/7 bombings were supposedly "inside jobs". When people look to far into things, they tend to make their opinions make believe facts.
edit on 8-7-2012 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It's simple the fact of the matter is that many people don't wanna face the fact that the grinning,baby kissing,glad handing politician they just voted for maybe involved in something much,much worse.Why worry about all this when Teen Mom and Baseball is on?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by StetsonTexasCowboy
reply to post by r2d246

I believe it is either because they fear being lied to, or because they do not wish to believe they have been made a fool of, because they believed the official report or what the Government told them or have not yet thought to question it themselves. I have brought up several points to 9/11 conspiracies, I was ridiculed by my friends and family, I've been called a nut, stupid, crazy, ridiculous, and paranoid, just because I have brought up a valid point in an argument about the lies of the Government. My point is they are the crazy ones because the just take everyone's word for it. It's human nature to be curious, observant, and to question EVERYTHING, that being said, I don't just take anyone's word for it, but collect all ideas and theories and decide for myself as a capable human being should.

ya that makes sense

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Yes indeed...

And its not just the wild conspiracy theories... I've seen people react angrily to conspiracy’s that are very very believable... Such as war for oil... Or corporate cover ups...

Its seems that modern society (in the developed world) is like a giant security blanket for many... they take great comort in knowing that, if they work 9-5 mon - fri, they get a pay cheque... they can then stay warm and buy stuff... When someone dares to criticise the system the supports them they just want to cover their ears and make la la sounds.

Selfishness really, although a subconscious one... Don't want to admit that their little perfect bubble is fake, corrupt, and harmful.

Personally, i love bursting that bubble!

Then you get the one who are half way... They except that JFK may have been bumped off, they also except other deaths as suspicious, such as Martin Luther King.. They even say "that would'nt supprise me" when you tell them about Operation Northwoods

But when you mention 911 being a possible conspiracy... "No no... They would never do that"

To which i normally reply...

"Right... so you except that they would murder a prominent civil rights leader.... you even except that they may murder their own president who reject their plans to commit acts of terror against their own civilians and military on their own soil and blame it on someone else so that they could wage war on them... but you don’t except that they would blow up their own buildings to justify a war?!

Bubble normally goes pop about now

edit on 8-7-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
It's unthinkable to consider that you've been lied to your whole life and that much of what you know is subject to falsification, distortion, or omission (in this case, it's what you haven't been told). It completely turns someone's worldview upside down.

You make a fundamental mistake.

As most conspiracy theorists, you assume that the common, mainstream opinion and understanding of something is the flawed one, more often than not with an evil and sinister agenda.

(That this does happen there is actually no doubt about, yes, governments, "the media", "TPTB" or whatever have often reasons to distort events or create an opinion, a simple but good example would be propaganda.)

Problem here is that the conspiracy theories itself are not free of a sinister agenda, in fact i think that many conspiracy theories are actually created for exactly that purpose

(There are countless examples in the past where groups such as cults/sects etc. use some abstruse belief system TO THEIR ADVANTAGE)

What is most surprising there is that the typical conspiracy theorist is always, always cautious since he assumes everything he hears from "TPTB" or the media is manipulated....but is entirely incapable of using critical thinking when he hears an "alternative" story....where they are not questioning whether there is an agenda behind...or what purpose/motive the author/group etc. has who spreads the conspiracy theories.

Think again!

Is the conspiracy theory simply "better" and you tend to believe it simply "because it is against what TPTB says, so i prefer to believe this"...and you never wonder who and why someone could spread a conspiracy theory?

You see some abstruse claims on a couple of web sites and read a book or two and are ready to BELIEVE, and never ask what the motif is?

At the end...chances are higher that the conspiracy theorist will one day "wake up" and realize that he was lied to for his own life..and the conspiracy theory you believed in turns out nothing but a fraud/hoax or money making scheme. We had many, many examples of this in the past, and it's unlikely to change.

"Falsification, distortion, or omission" can be exactly there where you THINK it is not....i am afraid.
edit on 8-7-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
People are so easily offended by Conspiracy Theories because all their ideals, ambitions, hopes and dreams are situated in the Matrix. They depend on the authenticity of the MSM and authoritative bodies for their world-view to be correct. It's not easy examining life within the system from an outside perspective, so people prefer to dismiss any alternative theories about events as nonsense. They want it to be crazy, irrational nonsense because if it is not, their world-view is threatened.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
I'm kinda surprised by how offended some people get if you bring up the notion of anything going on beyond the main stream media story, or the general understanding people have about different things.

Pick any one of these:
1) People don't like anything that interferes with their world view
2) People are brainwashed
3) People prefer to close their eyes (as in la la la it's not happening)
4) The conspiracy theorist might just be barking mad

To be fair it's not much different on conspiracy sites. Hence the accusation of 'shill' or that awful cliche 'paid disinfo agent' if anyone dares go against the 'conspiracy de jour'

edit on 8-7-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
It isn't conspiracy theories in themselves that bother me. It's conspiracy theories that rely on tortured logic and far fetched scenarios whose believers insist is happening -- often to the point of insulting those skeptical as being stupid, naive and gullible.

If you present something with a solid body of FACTS linked together with LOGIC, I'm willing to consider just about anything. What I hate is when someone doesn't really present a compelling case at all, then insists that anyone who doesn't agree "just doesn't see it." Because they're "drinking the Kool Aid" like fools...as opposed to the person who does believe and smugly feels they've got it all figured out...because they're so smart and you're an idiot.

I also particularly detest political conspiracy theories. Especially the highly partisan ones that propose preposterous nonsense. Those are usually self-serving and self-flattering for believers, and seem to primarily serve the purpose of demonizing, insulting and labeling opponents.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
I'm kinda surprised by how offended some people get if you bring up the notion of anything going on beyond the main stream media story, or the general understanding people have about different things.

Like if I mention anything to my friend he automatically either makes fun of the idea of it or you can see these walls go up, or they look and act so defensive. This seems to happen with a lot of people. So typically I never mention any concepts or knowledge to them. As they just get so defensive and offended.

My other friend does this as well. You bring up anything. Like 9/11, religion, or anything other than main stream media crap and he's automatically making jokes and acting all defensive. Like they wouldn't get this defensive if I lipped them off and also insulted there mother. But you bring some CT idea up and they're all up in arms!!!

I don't get it. Like they don't want to know at all about any other possibilities or opinions or things if it falls outside what is taught in school or told on the news.

Do you find that?

Stockholm Syndrome.
Those people have been mentally kidnapped.
edit on 8-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Its programming, the media does it talk shows and sit coms makes light of things, its the way they've been taught.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I told my mum and dad that the moon landing was fake. They thought I took drugs lol. And when I talk about some of my friends about conspiracies, they just laugh :L

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I have did the same as in bring up stuff and and they get upset. now keep in mind even though i have been a long time member here dont mean i believe everything i read here. as a matter of fact anymore i dont talk about this stuff 1 on 1 just on here most the time. but i think i understand (maybe a few reasons) y some people are like this. get defensive if you talk about this kind of stuff.

One reason could be is i have talked to a few people that totally believe 100% everything they read on the net to be true. they come up with some pretty whacked out things i try to keep a open mind about it. or maybe like a week ago when somebody who was 15 teaching a 6 year old this kind of stuff and who dont understand it them self's but think they do. alot of people as soon as you bring anything up you get connected to these kind of people and this is the main thing i think here is my reason for thinking people like us are nuts. Most of us that grew up in America grew up thinking this was the best damn country ever made. They just refuse to believe it. (that the leadership of America would do this) If they did believe it then it would prove they grew up in a lie and they dont want to do this prove that they grew up with lies. the man in the video in the posting the other day when asked about the Obama how he can kill anyone on demand and how he said he will follow the government blind. that is somebody who grew up believing in this country who is just blind to everything thats around him. it is really as simple as how in the Russia or china everyone believes that Communism is the best thing its the same crap. And once you step on somebody's "belief" even the most open mind will close it self off

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I told some firends that they had reflected lasers off the moon in start of 60's, without mirrors

that they had used needle and tread to sew the spacesuits together

that the one time they tested the suit in a vacuum it was not tight and the tester almost died

that you can see a movie with a astronaut going outside the spacecraft on the way back to the Earth, that looks more fake than 50's science fiction

that there is a line in the high res pics from apollo missions where details become out of focus and 2D

they said, wow that is strange

then when we together with some people a few weeks later when we discuss 911, they say "yeah, he think they faked the moon landing too and laugh.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Because the majority are sheep herded for perpetual work and distracted with shallow ambitions and shallow pleasures. They live in a bubble of denial and forced to go with the flow, rarely stopping to question anything for a second or two. It is the way of a fast paced life!

The media, schools and government have always been owned by the rich and since they determined the majority are morons they don't feel compelled to share anything worthwhile with the masses.

I have tried raising an issue or two with friends and family, but nearly always get the cold stare followed by changing of the subject. Gossiping about neighbors is much more desirable with them.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I don't believe in most conspiracy theories but I don't think anyone is really offended just because someone believes in so and so. I think it has alot to do with how the person talks and treats the other person who may not agree with them example if i'm having a discussion with someone about the existence of Nibiru and I think it's a load of bs and am pointing out facts and trying to have a civil discussion then the person starts calling me a disinfo agent and other names I will become offended plus it ruins the discussion. Both sides do it all the time I think it's great some people on this site don't agree on alot of things because you can get both sides of the story, facts, and debunking information instead of just people agreeing on most things. I can understand how some people may get ticked off when people say the flight passengers, cops, and firefighters we were in on the inside job of 9/11 or when people debunk the no plane theory over and over again and the OP won't listen and just keep saying disinformation or calling names.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Because its easier to believe there is a horse in the room than a zebra.
2nd

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Why are some people so offended by Conspiracy Theories???,

It's because some people are completely invested in the orthodox version of events. They will not question authority.
History is written by authority and taught by repetition. Please be advised that the word 'authority' also contains the word 'author'. But there are alternative versons of history that are scholarly and worthy of mention.

I read all your responses to this thread r2 and I didn't see a single mention of Noam Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent or Howard Zinn's A People's History Of The United States.

But I did see several posters mention the Matrix and I believe that Morpheus said it best,

Morpheus: The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around. What do you see. Business men, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it. Were you listening to me Neo, or were you looking at the woman in the red dress?
Neo: I was -

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorT
I do not think its about being offended. It's just the sheer stupidity of people to suddenly propose a conspiracy theory without having investigated it fully or done enough research to find other alternative explanations. Nowadays people are making conspiracy theories up daily and quite frankly, most of them are utter nonsense. The worst conspiracy theory I have heard is the 9/11 and 7/7 bombings were supposedly "inside jobs". When people look to far into things, they tend to make their opinions make believe facts.
edit on 8-7-2012 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

ok so people to suddenly propose a conspiracy theory without having investigated it fully or done enough research

but also look to far into things?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think I have read something about this and it goes like this: [It is from a Youtube video, it might not be right so, keep that in mind]

The human brain when told about new information [CTs] would rather reject that new, logical information and keep the old information as a way of life. This happens because the brain doesn’t want to "rebuild" everything he ever heared and saw so, in turn, the human would call you crazy and get mad.

Kinda like an old guy who keeps saying that "You can’t talk to people with a press of a button!" without seeing a phone in his life. He is basing his point of view on logic and common sense but, guess what? Technology gets better and people can use it to tell you lies. You are not a sheep, you are just closed minded and can’t see that we have a phone [Facts] because the media told so.

edit on 8-7-2012 by goh13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join