It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are some people so offended by Conspiracy Theories???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
To some ignorance is bliss and they choose to believe a lie. Rather than alter their perception and admit they have been fooled.

To others the truth is a great threat to those whose power is based on deceit. They will do anything to protect that power.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I think most conspiracy theorists have at least a few marbles rattling around up there and would never accept stupid theories like dummies thrown out of the WTC and the air planes were holograms.

Most of us know that 9/11 was an inside job. We know it because it is too obvious and the official story is too full of holes.

It was the same as 7/7. You don't have to watch someone else's documentary or go on a site like this to know that the official stories are complete lies. .

Some 'conspiracy theorists' go a little too far with their theories. This could be that they are trolls and or disinfo agents trying to upset the balance of truth seeking. The more stupid theories that those people throw out to the public arena the more people are going discount and disbelieve any of the theories even the more plausible explanations!!

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I have often pondered why the sheeple are such sheeple, and I have come to the conclusion that many are simply "herd" animals. They will do anything to remain a part of the herd, for it is there they feel safe. If the herd is getting tattoos and body piercings, that means they will do the same. If it means making sports the center of their interest, instead of politics, that's what they will do. You can't change them.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by starviego

Well, matters of fashion may or may not be part of the "herd" mentality. BUt i think that memetics (meme theory) holds real possibilities for why people all begin to do the same thing, even when they are separated from each other. It is that whole "100 monkeys" thought experiment that we have all heard.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

It is years of brainwashing. The baby boomer generation is the worst about this stuff. They believe that anything on TV is true, and if they say it is false on TV, then by golly anyone talking about it is crazy.

Don't worry.

Some people will never figure it out.

They will die in ignorance.

There is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

It is hard when it is your own family, but that is they way it is.

What I have found is that some people already know what is going on and have figured it out on their own, and some people will never get it, and it is a waste of time to talk to them about it.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

edit on 7-7-2012 by Ranong because: doh

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
i never used to give a hoot about this conspiracy stuff as long as my money was in the bank on a friday let them get on with it was my attitude .all that changed after 9/11 . i would ask blokes at my work what time they first heard off it then explain that americas 5 hours behind gmt . the eyes have it they say 90% of people dont want to know it upsets their little universe .i have been called everything from a idiot to a drunk & a druggie for pointing this out on this site . i found out the hard way what a shill is i have had my door smashed in by the law spent days in the cells & had my computers scrubbed professionally ive been told all for that little point . shows you i am on to something

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

First of all, this is a great thread r2d246, a thread which seeks to explore/discuss public attitude with respect to conspiracy theories.

In a general sense, it is sort of obvious why people are defensive. Conspiracy Theories in a broad general sense are making a statement that some key event in a community's history, a event which DEFINES THAT COMMUNITY is a myth, or fraudulent . Conspiracy Theories INDICT the leadership of a country not on just moral charges, but literally on criminal charges as well. If Apollo was fraudulent, LYNDON JOHNSON IS A CRIMINAL, if 911 were fraudulent, GERGE BUSH IS A CRIMINAL.

If Apollo was fraudulent, that would mean that every president since Nixon, those that lead the country following the program, were complicitous, knew about the program's fraudulence and continued lying to our faces.

So conspiracy theories undermine our confidence in our leadership, past and present, and seek to shatter cultural illusions. They show us as a group to be ugly not beautiful, desperate not confident, fearful not courageous, foolish not noble.

Of course people in our community would be/are "defensive" when it comes to conspiracy theories . They are very threatening r2d246.
edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: commas, added "asa a"

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

You are marvelously courageous geobro

You are so courageous geobro, I am so impressed.

I am a doctor that stumbled on some interesting points with respect to the Apollo fraud. I discovered that a simple straightforward reading of the stories they tell us about the Apollo astronauts' illnesses cannot possibly be true, and as such, Apollo must be , can only be, fraudulent.

I never in a million years would have thought Apollo bogus, but I am not the kind of guy that is going to sit there and lie to myself, or not try and help to educate others that do not understand medicine.

There are other physicians that work with me, so that is helpful, I do not work in isolation. That said, my cell phone was hacked into. A member of another forum , not ATS, tried to figure out who I was. The silly thing about that is I am totally open about my Apollo views. I do not operate anonymously. The guy hardly had to hack my cell phone to find out who I was. Talk about THREATENED !!!!!

In my medical center, I am sort of famous in a small way for my Apollo leanings, and more significantly, respected as well by some peers who understand the issue factually, those that understand the medicine that proves Apollo fraudulent, those aware culturally what is at stake.

Apollo and 911 are more or less at root about the same thing, though for obvious reasons, 911 is much much much more threatening to the western community's self view, self image, than is Apollo.

edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: spelling,

edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: it> Apollo

edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: 91>911

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

It's been said a million times before, but always worth saying again downtown436, television is what makes these modern illusions, bogus events, possible. They are television theater based occurrences, not occurrences of the real world.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
In my own personal experience, my reaction to conspiracy theories is due to how they are presented to me. People use words like "truth" and "obvious" and "evidence" far too broadly and it angers me that so many people are not prepared to take a step back and look with some perspective. Obviously what seems like common sense to me, is my own opinion and some would say even that has been programmed into me. I am not so arrogant as to believe what I know is the only truth and I am never wrong, but I would like some people to realise this when they present their case to me. I am prepared to be wrong, surely you should be too.

Sometimes I will encounter rational people who believe in something that is crazy to me but I am prepared to listen because they present it well. They know that it is a theory, that it is their interpretation of the evidence. If you come at me screaming about how something is obviously factual because you see it that way, I am going to respond angrily to you.

This goes the other way too of course. Some people are so certain of what they "know" that they will refuse to listen to any idea which question that. People do not like to be wrong, they do not like to have to something that is such an obvious fact to them questioned. Beyond that, conspiracy theories have a stigma attached that anyone who believe them is a tinfoil hat wearing crazy person. If you start questioning something, you will be lumped in with that stigma, hence the ridicule. If they were to believe you, they would look crazy too. Even amongst theorists this can happen. If someone says man didn't land on the moon, to me this sounds crazy but it is an accepted theory. If someone said swimming pools contain nanites so that the secret society of pool cleaners can control our thoughts and take over the world, that is a little harder to believe and people would be more likely to mock them. It all comes down to what is rational to us as an individual.
edit on 7-7-2012 by DavetheAvatar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I find that most people do not want to be open to the posibility of a darker side to things. Their world perception which they hold so dear is very fragile and I don't think that they could handle other truths that could be. Most people want rainbows and unicorns and would rather turn a cheek to possible threats of their way of living.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by decisively

thanks i enjoyed moongate by william l brian makes you wonder what tptb are keeping from us

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The non believers get really mad dont they?

Its somewhat entertaining to observe

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I agree with many of the comments in here, and I should add that many people I've spoken to feel a sense of helplessness. People I know don't want to think about the horrible history of the U.S., for instance, because they feel they have nothing to do with this government, and can't change it at all. Their lives are in a smaller area than mine, and they find me to be ridiculous in pointing out the many crimes which are neglected and covered-up by a government they have no control over. Their anger comes from very understandable frustration. They would rather enjoy their loves, wishes, and hopes than for someone to trigger an activist sense in them when they have resigned themselves to the futility of feeling helpless to change what has, or is occurring.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

We must live full lives despite it all

reply to post by trysts

Great point(s) trysts.

To be sure it is challenging to say the least, to move from a state of shock about some ugly truth back into one's life and soldier on, but like it or not, this is our charge. In response to these outrageous crimes, outrageous deceits perpetrated by governments on their citizens, ON US NO LESS, we MUST with clear voices point out that NO THESE THINGS DID NOT HAPPEN THIS WAY, WE ARE BEING LIED TO AND THIS IS WHY/HOW WE KNOW IT TO BE THE CASE and at the same time we MUST continue on with our lives apart from the deceits themselves, continue on apart form our efforts to engage and shatter those deceits. This is our challenge, at least I see it that way.

It is not easy. Very easy to get lost, confused, lose perspective. Priorities ? What is important given the incredible circumstances ? After an epiphany, after SEEING, what makes sense in moving forward with one's life ?

We cannot sit idly by and ignore the BULL dumped on our heads. On the other hand, we must try and live full lives apart from it all. We cannot allow ourselves to be consumed by the struggle, however important that struggle is. There is more for all of us. We succeed if we live well despite our understandable outrage about being lied to like this, taken advantage of by people who betrayed/betray our trust.

I was chatting with my gal last night about this very subject. I am the designated scribe for a group of 5 doctors and one mathematician/computer scientist that research the Apollo fraud. We focus on the medical aspects of the deceit, though we have surprisingly made great progress in learning of the fraud's logistics outside of our original medical concerns. I spend so much time "doing Apollo" as I say that I now seldom play my piano, play chess, read outside of Apollo related materials , and so forth. My free time is very much Apollo fraud research oriented. I do swim every day, a passion of mine, but other things, other hobbies, bicycling, film making, photography, hardly at all.

So I am planning to withdraw some from the battle, not disengage altogether, but ratchet down a bit, perhaps a lot. I think getting back to the piano will ultimately help me be a better advocate for our side, not because i am going to write a song about the Apollo fraud, but simply because I love it, music, and cannot allow these creeps to take that away from me. I cannot forfeit everything to battle the creeps . If I do, in a sense, they have won.

I recognize that I have lost some balance in my life, but again, this is the challenge, to see that and not give up on the struggle to expose these crimes for what they are, but at the same time live my life and live it well, swimming , piano, bicycling and so forth in the face of it, despite it all.

edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: its> their

edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: added "/HOW WE KNOW IT TO BE THE CASE"

edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: added "I now", "related material"

edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: removed "not"

edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: added "ON US NO LESS"

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I believe it involves pride, ego, and like others stated they want to fit in. It's like the aliens thing, there might not be greys, reptilians, cookie monsters, but if you look at the amount of galaxies available it's impossible to deny some sort of life form exists. Then there's the mainstream media, it's obviously lost it's fact-style journalism. How in the world is a dog that needs a home newsworthy or one that meows I love you? All the stories lean to one side of the spectrum. There's no viewing both sides of the coin. Then when things like Obama claims in his campaign promises never come to fruition or his violations of the constitution never becomes news that's just obviously bought mainstream media. Nine eleven was definitely fishy all you have to do is look who made money off of it. Why people think the government isn't willing to kill us for corporate profit is absurd to me. Just look at Monsanto, fast food, even alcohol and tobacco is LEGAL. They're so quick to send us to war, yet none of their children serve in the infantry. Then they bail out a corrupt banking system and obviously our banks aren't state owned, yet they're too big too fail. Would they bail out a mom and pop's type of convenient store? I don't recall capitalism meaning if your business fails the government will keep you afloat. These theories I do believe have truth. I guess public education and religious indoctrination also contributes to their fears of conspiracy theories.
edit on 7-7-2012 by PatriotAct because: me love you

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I think that, by design, with the collusion of the mainstream corporate media and governments (or factions within them) the term "conspiracy theorist" and those labeled as such has been twisted to portray someone on the fringes, perhaps borderline psychotic and believing in government UFO coverups and that we are all subservient to lizard people from another galaxy. In other words, public perception has been moulded and people are afraid to be labeled as perhaps being a bit "out there".

Why would the corporate media and the government need to portray conspiracy theorists as on the fringe when so many theorists are doing a fine job of that on their own?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMarvel

Nothing "fringe" about it, very straightforward matter-0-fact….

There is nothing "fringe" about pointing out the banks; Bear Sterns, "Lehman Brothers", Merrill Lynch, Bank of America, CitiBank and so forth were rescued as business entities by the infusion of unimaginable quantities of public "capital" and FED machinations of various and sundry sort.

"Lehman Brothers" in quotes here as it was allowed to go under in a failed effort to give the impression there would be no blanket government bailout, and "capital" in quotes as it was money printed, not earned.

The above poster was correct in his pointing out that mom and pops go under while these twits running the banks were rescued. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, the banks were not too big to fail. The investment banks could have and should have been allowed to go under, and the commercial banks taken into receivership by the American people, a better and just solution to the nonsense.

Simple facts, nothing fringe about them.
edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: and > while

edit on 7-7-2012 by decisively because: removed comma

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by decisively
reply to post by downtown436

It's been said a million times before, but always worth saying again downtown436, television is what makes these modern illusions, bogus events, possible. They are television theater based occurrences, not occurrences of the real world.

I actually think that the notion that reality is represented by what's on a TV or computer screen is fueling the acceptance of bogus conspiracy theories. Look at almost any CT discussion on line and what is usually being offered as evidence are links to youtube videos.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join