It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are some people so offended by Conspiracy Theories???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I'm kinda surprised by how offended some people get if you bring up the notion of anything going on beyond the main stream media story, or the general understanding people have about different things.

Like if I mention anything to my friend he automatically either makes fun of the idea of it or you can see these walls go up, or they look and act so defensive. This seems to happen with a lot of people. So typically I never mention any concepts or knowledge to them. As they just get so defensive and offended.

My other friend does this as well. You bring up anything. Like 9/11, religion, or anything other than main stream media crap and he's automatically making jokes and acting all defensive. Like they wouldn't get this defensive if I lipped them off and also insulted there mother. But you bring some CT idea up and they're all up in arms!!!

I don't get it. Like they don't want to know at all about any other possibilities or opinions or things if it falls outside what is taught in school or told on the news.

Do you find that?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I find the conspiracies about 911 (missile hitting pentagon,holograms) and the crop circle conspiracies to be the most annoying because it's borderline insanity.
Some people need to listen more and talk less.
I suppose they're just trolling though.

ed/ There ARE definately some conspiracies however it's common these days for people to poison the well with nonsense to make them look bad.

What conspiracy do you find most intriguing OP?
edit on 7-7-2012 by HamrHeed because: added q

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I totally get what you mean, people tend to drop in with a couple of lines stating they dont believe it, its crazy blah, blah.
but what happened to being open minded?
even if i dont believe someone's theory but cant prove it wrong then i'll try and see it from there point of view....use my imagination and thinl if that happened/was true what would i do.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by christafinias
I totally get what you mean, people tend to drop in with a couple of lines stating they dont believe it, its crazy blah, blah.
but what happened to being open minded?
even if i dont believe someone's theory but cant prove it wrong then i'll try and see it from there point of view....use my imagination and thinl if that happened/was true what would i do.

Nah man, it's important to stomp out the obviously fictional conspiracies because it waters down everything else. There is nothing more annoying than people who cling onto theories because they're scared to admit they wasted so much time on bullcrap.
It's about being rational, not open minded/gullible

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I've noticed this too, but I see it more of a defence mechanism. Mainstream society is where the majority of people want to belong, kind of a 'safety in numbers' thing. If you have more people siding with you about your opinions then the more accepted you will be and the less 'weird' you will seem to others. And we all know how we are perceived by our fellow humans is by far the most 'important' thing in modern society.

It's quite sad when people lack the ability to think for themselves and don't bother to research anything, instead basing their beliefs on whatever is fed through via mainstream reporting.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I believe it is either because they fear being lied to, or because they do not wish to believe they have been made a fool of, because they believed the official report or what the Government told them or have not yet thought to question it themselves. I have brought up several points to 9/11 conspiracies, I was ridiculed by my friends and family, I've been called a nut, stupid, crazy, ridiculous, and paranoid, just because I have brought up a valid point in an argument about the lies of the Government. My point is they are the crazy ones because the just take everyone's word for it. It's human nature to be curious, observant, and to question EVERYTHING, that being said, I don't just take anyone's word for it, but collect all ideas and theories and decide for myself as a capable human being should.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Well the word CT just is a negative slang that means reality. But spun in a way to mean Crazy. I think there's evidence enough to support tons of CT's as fact.

Like the truth is that history books are writen by the winners of the wars. So much of what we read as fact likely could be fiction as it's gonna be writen to support the ruling bodies position. So if hitler won the war that would end up being "The good guys". And the rest of the world would be the axis of evil.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by StetsonTexasCowboy
reply to post by r2d246

I believe it is either because they fear being lied to, or because they do not wish to believe they have been made a fool of, because they believed the official report or what the Government told them or have not yet thought to question it themselves. I have brought up several points to 9/11 conspiracies, I was ridiculed by my friends and family, I've been called a nut, stupid, crazy, ridiculous, and paranoid, just because I have brought up a valid point in an argument about the lies of the Government. My point is they are the crazy ones because the just take everyone's word for it. It's human nature to be curious, observant, and to question EVERYTHING, that being said, I don't just take anyone's word for it, but collect all ideas and theories and decide for myself as a capable human being should.

I have too been called a liar for talking about a conspiracy that I know is true.
The "conspiracy" about the loud, low frequency rumbling heard around the world is TRUE.,
I have personally witnessed it along with thousands of others but some still can't accept it being real for some reason.
The only thing I can hope for is that they hear it with their own ears sometime

edit: r2d2 you're right, CT is used as an insult just like other media creations to divide the people. There are legitimate conspiracies so dismissing all of them is a cop out and weak
edit on 7-7-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Nah man, it's important to stomp out the obviously fictional conspiracies because it waters down everything else. There is nothing more annoying than people who cling onto theories because they're scared to admit they wasted so much time on bullcrap.
It's about being rational, not open minded/gullible

if its totally debunked or doesn't have a slighty possibility then yes that is annoying and needs stomping out.
being gulliable and open minded are 2 different things,
its about finding a balance as everyone has different beliefs and you tend to find on here that rationality gets blinded by emotion and then the arguments and 'digs' start.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I think it goes back to childhood. Peer-pressure to "go with the flow" is strong and anyone who makes a wave is deterred. People are afraid to be considered "out of the norm", there can be repercussions with that, including losing status or standing in a community. Trust what you are told, and stfu. Don't cause discord.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I think that, by design, with the collusion of the mainstream corporate media and governments (or factions within them) the term "conspiracy theorist" and those labeled as such has been twisted to portray someone on the fringes, perhaps borderline psychotic and believing in government UFO coverups and that we are all subservient to lizard people from another galaxy. In other words, public perception has been moulded and people are afraid to be labeled as perhaps being a bit "out there".

Taking it a step further, I even believe some of the more whacky theories out there are deliberatly planted, and then focused on by the media, to further alienate (pun intended) those that think we are lied to on a daily basis.

A typical example is one staring us all in the face right this minute - the global finacial fraud that has been going on for many years. The mainstream media ignored it and those who have been ringing the alarm bells for years have been ridiculed and labeled nutty conspiracy theorists! Well guess what! They were right all along, there was, and is, a conspiracy among the worlds biggest banks, government officials and even the regulators who are all complicit in financial fraud. In other words, just because the corporate media ignore it, doesn't mean it's not true, just that as corporate entities with fingers in many pies and snouts in the trough too, they deliberately set out to keep it from the public. In other words, it is indeed "Conspiracy Fact".

As to why many people refuse to believe what is often staring them in the face, I think it's a conditioning thing. Many people may have doubts about what they are being fed by the media and the government, but are conditioned to hesitate about talking about it in a public forum. They don't want to be the one standing out from the rest of the herd. Hell, they'll still deny what they are seeing as they are being rounded up for slaughter.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I'm kinda surprised by how offended some people get if you bring up the notion of anything going on beyond the main stream media story, or the general understanding people have about different things.

Perhaps it's because so many conspiracy theories are offensive. Thousands of people died on 9/11. Claiming that they were really dummies thrown out of the windows cheapens their deaths. Astronauts trained hard and put their lives on the line to reach the Moon. Calling them, and the thousands of dedicated workers who made the Moon landings possible, "liars" is offensive. Freemasonry is a fraternity with high ideals and a proud history. Calling them evil is offensive. The Jewish people have suffered great persecution; blaming them for all the world's ills is offensive. I could multiply these examples, but you get the idea. Claiming that you are the only person on Earth who is smart enough to know the "real truth" is arrogant, and a bit offensive.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
It's unthinkable to consider that you've been lied to your whole life and that much of what you know is subject to falsification, distortion, or omission (in this case, it's what you haven't been told). It completely turns someone's worldview upside down.

It's the same reason many, many western doctors scoff at holistic or natural medicines before doing research with them. It's unthinkable to consider that everything they learned in medical school might be flawed.

It literally rocks the foundation of our place in reality and our role in society.

I, too, have alienated (no pun intended) myself from friends and family by believing in the possibility of the alternative and the conspiracy. They, too, rationalize it by alienating me and calling me crazy etc. It's much easier to attack someone for their beliefs than to consider that yours might be unsound.
edit on 7-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
It's unthinkable to consider that you've been lied to your whole life and that much of what you know is subject to falsification, distortion, or omission (in this case, it's what you haven't been told). It completely turns someone's worldview upside down.

It's the same reason many, many western doctors scoff at holistic or natural medicines before doing research with them. It's unthinkable to consider that everything they learned in medical school might be flawed.

It literally rocks the foundation of our place in reality and our role in society.

I, too, have alienated (no pun intended) myself from friends and family by believing in the possibility of the alternative and the conspiracy. They, too, rationalize it by alienating me and calling me crazy etc. It's much easier to attack someone for their beliefs than to consider that yours might be unsound.

excellent post

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Perhaps it's because so many conspiracy theories are offensive. Thousands of people died on 9/11. Claiming that they were really dummies thrown out of the windows cheapens their deaths. Astronauts trained hard and put their lives on the line to reach the Moon. Calling them, and the thousands of dedicated workers who made the Moon landings possible, "liars" is offensive. Freemasonry is a fraternity with high ideals and a proud history. Calling them evil is offensive. The Jewish people have suffered great persecution; blaming them for all the world's ills is offensive. I could multiply these examples, but you get the idea. Claiming that you are the only person on Earth who is smart enough to know the "real truth" is arrogant, and a bit offensive.

Well, the above surely begs the question: if you believe that all these are bunk, then why bother posting at all on a site predominantly discussing "conspiracy theories" if you don't belive in any of them?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Simple. People who get offended are suffering cognitive dissonance. It is an all too natural human reaction.

But, just because it is natural doesn't mean it is beneficial.

Cognitive dissonance type reactions are behind almost all things that divide us as humans, I think.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Why do people like to make fun of stupid people? Is that what you mean?

A rambling fool can often tell you the time of day. It doesn't mean they are a shrine of knowledge.

Most of the conspiracy theories on ATS involve easily refutable evidence. Or lack thereof I should say, common sense tells us..

A snake crawled up my butt and made me sin.. oh lawdy help me.. -- crazy crap.

I am otherwise deluded and need constant care.. -- the reality.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Well, the above surely begs the question: if you believe that all these are bunk, then why bother posting at all on a site predominantly discussing "conspiracy theories" if you don't belive in any of them?

Why do you presume that YOUR world is mine? I come here to discuss many things, and it's the firehose that leads me astray. Why post here, if you don't like to argue your opinion, and only want a pat on the back and a cheers from chums?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Did I say all conspiracy theories are bunk? Conspiracy theorists can be the most close minded people on Earth. Once they get an idea in their head, however ridiculous, it is impossible for them to consider the possibility that they may be wrong. Do you believe that the airplanes that crashed into the WTC were really holograms? Do you believe that all the world leaders are really giant extraterrestrial reptiles? Do you believe that a gigantic invisible planet is hovering over the South Pole? Try convincing people that believe these things that they are wrong.

There are indeed real conspiracies. For example, Barclay's Bank was manipulating the LIBOR, seemingly with the collusion of its regulators. Why wasn't this exposed on ATS? Might it be that some folks here are too busy trying to find the secret Satanic symbolism in the Olympic ceremonies?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I think they are planted in the matrix to make us stop questioning the official stories, to be perfectly honest. I had an ex like this, she'd just start screaming at me "STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE ALL THE *********** TIME ****** IM WATCHING TEEN MOM!!!!!!". Yet she seemed to think i wanted to marry her lol?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join