It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

False Flag Alert - Important - Internet Kill Switch to Be Armed by DHS on Monday

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by GenerationGap

The fact that the gullible public even believes in a "kill switch" is laughable.

Are you aware that there are thousands of hackers/crackers out there that will no doubt work overtime to override such a "kill switch"?

I don't think such a thing is possible and even if it were, there are more dangerous things to worry about. No internet? No problem! There's a whole world out there waiting to be discovered.

Apparently you don't know many hackers. Most of these so called "hackers" these days are script kiddies. I'M FIRIN MA LOIC LASER ddos program is about as much as they can do. There doesn't have to be a kill switch, all the government has to do is go to a few major ISPs and tell them to physically shut it down. No internet, no problem? Hardly. The internet is the last source of information that isn't completely biased towards the power elite. Without the internet, governments around the world could commit atrocities and no one would be the wiser.

As soon as the government turns off the internet it is time to turn off the government, because something MASSIVE is in the works.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by plube

Well i guess i will jump in first....ummm no chance.

The internet and it's beauty of function is the fact it is a haphazard collection of networks... No one source can shut it down...and so therefore...i would say this is not true....just think of how people now connect over mobile phone systems now....Don't worry...No kill switch.

They could theoretically control root DNS servers which feed localized (our ISP) DNS servers. Just like the feds forced radio, cable, satellite and broadcast stations to install hardware for the EAS, they could very easily force ISP's to put hardware in their racks that simply reroutes all DNS requests to different DNS servers. You may be able to get around it with using actual IP addresses but that's easily addressed as well. Your ISP could cut their link to the backbone and at best you could see the computers of other subscribers of your ISP. Depending on what level they cut connectivity, you may or may not be able to find a work-around. For the most part, the average schmuck who still has their head in the sand is likely too dumb to begin to figure out a way around the issue. They'll want Obama to come and rescue them.

Changing root servers is a simple matter of a nice, tidy U.N. resolution compelling country's to comply. Yes, it's complicated, so is the space shuttle but it flew for 30 years.

You folks who want to continue to communicate best get familiar with the "darknet" or "undernet". It's basically an "off-the-grid" network of computers and servers that don't rely on the visible infrastructure. (Warning: it's not controlled like the "visible" internet therefore there is some shady content and discretion is advised).

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Apparently you don't know many hackers. Most of these so called "hackers" these days are script kiddies. I'M FIRIN MA LOIC LASER ddos program is about as much as they can do.

Sorry, but you are very wrong. many of the hackers are much older from (30 to 70and up), and run websites, or belong to chat groups that TEACH this kiddies. Doesn't matter what the majority of the age of these hackers are, the fact is many hackers, and other type criminals who use the vulnerabilities of the net that they themselves could have created are not script kiddies, but people at a level of high intelligence regarding information about how computers work, and the tools that are needed to drive the net.

I will say I don't think all hackers are truly nefarious, and dangerous, and much like liars, they have different degrees of purpose and motivation, and some may very well be noble, that wish to cause no harm, but actually help.

edit on 8-7-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Forcing ISPs to shut down is about the only way they will be able to "shut it off." Egypt shut down it's Internet - how? They forced the ISP providers to shut down. They had to leave one provider up (was speculated it controlled their stock market). There are literally thousands of ISP providers in the United States. Estimated # of ISPs is around 4000. They could get a very large # of people by forcing AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon, etc. to shut down. But even then, there are at least 20 good size providers. They would basically have to force some very powerful corporations to shut down their service.. affecting their profits. You honestly think they will be able to do that? I don't. If anything, our government has proved time and again it dances to the puppet strings of large corporations.

Originally posted by axslinger

The minute they said, paraphrasing, "There are still about 64,000 computers that could be affected", I knew something was up. There is no way in hell they could possibly make that estimation without actively "spying" on every single computer in the U.S. and/or orchestrating the whole event themselves.

Not at all - they are routing through proxy computers the FBI has set up. It's a simple matter to track how many computers are going through it. No snooping is necessary to get those #s.

Originally posted by MidnightTide
all the government has to do is go to a few major ISPs and tell them to physically shut it down.

Like I said - there are around 4000 ISPs. They would need to force more than "a few" to shut down. And do you really think in the U.S. it would be an easy matter to force companies like AT&T, Verizon, Cox, Comcast, Time Warner, Optimum, Charter, Earthlink, and others to just "shut down" their revenue? I know some of you are of the mind this is somehow a communist country already. Well, it isn't. They can't just "force" all of these companies to basically stop making money. It's not that easy in the U.S. There were rules in Egypt in place that basically said an ISP could be permanently shut down if they didn't comply with the government. There is no such policy in place in the U.S. - not like that.

Originally posted by axslinger
They could theoretically control root DNS servers which feed localized (our ISP) DNS servers. Just like the feds forced radio, cable, satellite and broadcast stations to install hardware for the EAS, they could very easily force ISP's to put hardware in their racks that simply reroutes all DNS requests to different DNS servers.

That wouldn't do anything. It doesn't work like that - computers don't go out and hit the root servers first. They hit them LAST, if they can't get the DNS from your local DNS server, then other DNS servers up the hierarchy. Even if they were gone completely, there are mirrors of those servers. And DNS is not required. It can be bypassed entirely if need be. The root servers have already been attacked in the past, and it did nothing to stop our Internet from functioning. There is a massive amount of replication, duplication / mirroring done on the Internet. It's not that easy to "shut it down."

Also, people talk about security on a local computer - it's not an easy thing to secure. There are so many ways to infect a computer it's not funny. You can get infected through Adobe Reader - we get many infections through Adobe, because people don't realize that Javascript is on by default within Adobe. Javascript is on by default within IE as well - should be turned off, and sites you trust should added to your trusted sites list, and that is were Javascript should be enabled. You can be infected through Flash, through java, and many other ways besides. Most people don't have the skill to fully protect their computers. Even if you use something like Tor to do your browsing, doesn't make you immune to malware. Using the darknet is a way to keep your browsing secure - it doesn't make your computer immune to security threats however.

The OP has the same misconception others in this thread have, that networks use some other DNS server to operate and function. Those are the last your network hits - not the first. DHS has no way to alter the DNS on my equipment. Nor the DNS routing tables on any equipment in any of my offices. They also can't "cut off" the Internet by messing with the root DNS servers. They might slow down traffic - they might cause an inconvenience, but that's it.
edit on 8-7-2012 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2012 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Yes I thought so to. Funny isn't it how the MSM "Lame" Stream Media are keeping this story under wraps so to speak. Perhaps they'd like to cause a panic with the sheeple.

I thought of slight theory and its slight because of it being 12 years ago, but remember the hype of Y2K and how it was all for nothing? Just Saying....

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I've read a lot of ways to explain what DNS is on this board so far, and I thought I would add my own. This is the way I explain it to the users at work....Think of it as voice dialing on your cell phone. You might remember your buddy Jim's phone number if you try, but it's so much easier to just say "Jim" into your phone, right. So, you save that complex phone number (The IP addy in this case) to a contact in your phone (A DNS entry) and save it using the name "Jim" ( the web site ). This way when you say "Jim" the phone knows to call 865-555-7777. The same thing happens here with DNS ( Domain Name Service, Server, or System, it all depends on who your talking to ), You open up your browser and want to go to bbdox.com to buy a new pet Dachshund, so you type in www.bbdox.com . Now your computer goes to it's DNS and asks, where is this? DNS answers back with 70.39.146.241 . Then your browser sends a request to that IP and you get the final answer back in the form of a web page with dogs on it. Tke it for what it's worth, but it makes Doctors and Nurses happy and they leave me alone so I can get back to WoW...I mean work.

Here's my issue with this whole thing as far as it being a problem. Your DNS is usually set by your ISP. lets say its 12.13.14.15 as an example. Then you get this dreaded virus, and now it's really going to 134.145.156.167. The easiest fix for anyone, besides removing the virus or just rebuilding the damn machine, would be to do a redirect of that traffic. So if this problem really is wide spread, all of the ISP's could get together and agree to do a redirect of any traffic requesting 134.145.156.167 and simply redirect it back to 12.13.14.15....problem solved. The end user doesn't have to do anything and the "virus" has it's nuts cut off before it can even start. It can even run side by side with the normal, non infected, route. It would be seemless. We do it all the time at work for new portals into hospitals, printer issues, you name it (It's not always easy to go hands on to about 2000 laptops and 4000 PC's okay).

So, where does that leave us? Either the people in charge of the decision making process are fools, My oversimplistic view is missing a step, or there truely is something else going on here. What that something else could be.....I'll leave that up to you to decide. I can see the headlines in China now, "Evil, Greedy white devils cut internet access to millions so they can't see how good life in Chain truely is!" or some # like that. That's actually a good case in point actually! If anyone things a country's internet traffic can't be messed with, have their friend in a place like China try to Google the declaration of independence! Hell, have them try to just go to Google! They might get results back, but it's not what we see when we do it. Just my $.02...

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Heehaw

I really appreciate the time you took to answer, as well as the useful information and links provided.

This is extremely uncommon occurrence for typical home PC users because there's generally nothing of value that couldn't be gained by some easier method. It's more common with e-mail and webservers.

Uncommon

I would think there would be many with vindictive natures who would hack into personal computers to impersonate emails, etc, and to try and sabotage someone by downloading nefarious type files, on their pc's.

It's like a medal of honor to most hackers that they can get into your system, and some use that medal, on a grand scale to intimidate and harass.

I guess maybe on a grand hacking scale it maybe uncommon, but yet I feel like many hackers do this type of thing, in retaliation, or vindictiveness, and maybe the odd time it is for good reasons.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate the more knowledgeable ones taking the time to teach us types who are so tech challenged and naive about the net.

edit on 8-7-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Man, I don't know what to think, but I'll tell you what my gut says - this whole thing is not what it seems. The government is involved, and I assume that anytime that is true, they are up to no good. This is some kind of misdirection for something else.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Oh yes... This is my first comment, since I've been reading ATS for years and just could not take it anymore. Anyway, you are spot on. "Virus" really = ways to make money. Linux = virus Kevlar, and most servers are run off of Linux (like Redhat, for instance). "Windoze" even has special places, within the OS directories that are made for virus to reside. Like the "other" Temporary Internet File Folder; something like: C: USERS "user name goes here" APPDATA LOCAL MICROSOFT WINDOWS TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES, for instance. Just try to click to that one. Then, we won't even get into "User Data Files"... scary. My point though, is that ignorance is expensive, and sometimes scary too.

Anyhow, I have seen some vicious worms and such as of late; some that could even be called "artificial intelligence". The Conflicker, the Recycler; back in the day, a mysterious 30MB file would be quite obvious, but that is nothing now. Nonetheless, it is quite a bit of code. With Linux servers though, if you don't know the Super User/Root password, you just aren't making any changes.

edit on 8-7-2012 by RyuInu because: grammar

edit on 8-7-2012 by RyuInu because: no slashes allowed?

edit on 8-7-2012 by RyuInu because: opps

edit on 8-7-2012 by RyuInu because: Err!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Man, I don't know what to think, but I'll tell you what my gut says - this whole thing is not what it seems. The government is involved, and I assume that anytime that is true, they are up to no good. This is some kind of misdirection for something else.

Well in that case we need to have a backup DNS name resolution machine running in case the government pulls the plug on the default ISP servers.

For the fun of it I just Start->run->regedit and looked at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\

No alternate nameserver address anywhere down there so the machine must be using the default ISP nameserver hooked up to the kill switch?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
this isn't just limited to the US, its all over AUS news channels and radio this morning. it really is pretty ominious in the grand scheme of things. giving the government this ability to be able to shut off access to millions of peoples access to the internet is scary.

it wont affect tech savvy people like me, but the general populous will be affected and wont know what to do and will believe the tripe they are being feed about it being for "their own good"

apparently there are about a quarter of a million people infected with this so called "virus" it seems like a pretty good control group test to me for the government to see if this is feasible to do on a big scale and what the consequences would be.

next step, complete shutdown test and see if it can be done.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

We will be cruel to the elite, and through our cruelty they will know
who we are. And they will find the evidence of our cruelty in the
disemboweled, dismembered, and disfigured bodies of their brothers we
leave behind us. And the elite won't be able to help themselves but to
imagine the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands, and our boot
heels, and the edge of our knives. And the elite will be sickened by us,
and the elite will talk about us, and the elite will fear us. And when
the elite close their eyes at night and they're tortured by their
subconscious for the evil they have done, it will be with thoughts of us
they are tortured with.

edit on Sun Jul 8 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The fact that the gullible public even believes in a "kill switch" is laughable.

Are you aware that there are thousands of hackers/crackers out there that will no doubt work overtime to override such a "kill switch"?

I don't think such a thing is possible and even if it were, there are more dangerous things to worry about. No internet? No problem! There's a whole world out there waiting to be discovered.

Couldn't agree more. Wish I could give you more stars.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel

Couldn't agree more. Wish I could give you more stars.

the problem is we and they are the MINORITY. the millions of idiot sheeple will lap this up like no tommorow. its already all the morons at work are talking about. imagine if they use this and it works, then in the future they come out and go "oh there is another virus, its bigger, we need to shutdown you all to protect everyone" and unless you have the nohow you will think the internet is down for good.

it just seems like a test to see if idiots will believe this or not, if it works we really have become the essence of "idiocracy"

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I've been saying this for ages that there needs to be a new internet of the people! one that isnt controlled by service providers !

Masamune shirows , ghost in the shell is future that will become all to real!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

A little information is a dangerous thing. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ALLEGED KILL SWITCH!

The virus has been around for years.

The FBI stopped the spread of the virus by setting up some servers to redirect infected computers to the right locations.

Hundreds of thousands of lazy incompetent computer users are still infected and routing through these users.

A court ordered the FBI to shut down their servers, which will mean these lazy incompetent computer users will lose their ability to get to where they want on the Internet.

I will double my normal rate to help any of these people who got infected because of their stupidity!
edit on 8-7-2012 by CharlesMartel because: intentional UPPER CASE

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CharlesMartel

I will double my normal rate to help any of these people who got infected because of their stupidity!

may that karma come back to you 10 fold someday.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The suggestions here that the government is not capable are laughable at best - they have spent nearly 700 billion dollars on a single fighter jet that's not even combat ready - just one plane.

For 700 billion dollars you could turn off all teh internetz on the entire planet if you wanted to. Telecommunications networks arent that complicated - isolating them is fairly easy and there goes your mobile and network reroutes - the resulting traffic over the main fiber would likely shut down a large portion of the rest even affecting relay stations for satellites. Getting the isp and other carries to comply is just a house investigation and an fcc attack dog away.

There are ways to hack it using optical etc point to point networks but the other 6.99 billion people are fuxored.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Who is NameServer = 64.136.173.5 64.136.164.77?

This is the good nameserver of the east not that nasty old FBI nameserver right??

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Internet blackout looms for thousands: What you need to know

This is the shadiest story I think I've ever read in regards to a Computer Virus... Something is really "off" about the whole thing...

Since when do Computer users get Virus Protection programs from the FBI, not to mention Facebook?

Online security firms, Facebook and the FBI are offering free diagnostic checks for users whose computers may be infected. Here are links to several: • Malware check: dns-ok.us... • FBI: forms.fbi.gov... • DNS Changer Working Group: www.dcwg.org... • Facebook: www.facebook.com... • McAfee: www.mcafee.com...

I swear, I'm pretty knowledgeable about Computer Viruses and this story sort of came out of no where... So shady. Is it me, or does it seem like the Government is trying to get people to download this software? Seems malicious... As useless as Yahoo comments are, I think this guy nailed it.

Click on the link so that the FBI can take a look inside your computer. I'll take my chances with the virus.

edit on 8-7-2012 by squidboy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join