It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annual Monarch Butterfly Migration Further North Than Ever!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I am still "sitting on the fence" with respect to the whole global warming issue and its possible cause(s), however the weather has been so wacky in Canada these recent months/years that it has almost made me a believer.

Now the annual Monarch migration has moved further north than ever.....

"An unprecedented migration of monarch butterflies has brought the fragile, orange-and-black fliers north all the way from their wintering grounds in Mexico in numbers that lovers of the brightly coloured insects have never seen before.

'They're been reporting monarchs non-stop for the last week-and-a-half,' said an excited John Acorn, a University of Alberta biologist and chairman of the Alberta Lepidopterist Guild.

'Before last week, I'd only seen one monarch in Edmonton in my entire life. I'm now up to nine.' "
www.680news.com...

Is this a sign of serious climate change? Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The Japan mega quake shifted the tectonic plates. Don't be surprised if the climate you live in changes.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
They no longer call it global warming. They changed the name to climate change. That way everything counts. Its too hot: climate change. Its too cold: climate change. Huge tornado where it shouldn't be: climate change. Land hurricane: climate change. Something is going on, but what is it?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by krazykanuk

You cant point to just one thing and say 'thats due to climate change'. This is all still too new, and these things take years and years to understand in terms of quantifiable trends.

But, yes, this is likely a sign that the climate models that scientists have been using for years are accurate, because monarch migration is connected to warm areas, and have often been seen as a bellwether of sorts.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
They no longer call it global warming. They changed the name to climate change. That way everything counts. Its too hot: climate change. Its too cold: climate change. Huge tornado where it shouldn't be: climate change. Land hurricane: climate change. Something is going on, but what is it?

Youre obscenely misinformed. "Global warming' refers to the warming of the climate, not local temperatures. The term was changed to 'climate change' to better address that misnomer, and climate scientists have been saying, for decades, that an increase in the earths overall climate temp will cause temperature and weather EXTREMES, exactly like we are now seeing.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

So how does the increasing climate temp explain Australia or the record cold in Europe last year?

Head scratcher eh?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
We've had them here before but it's been a while. Part of the change in their range is because agriculture has obliterated Milkweed along their migration forcing them to forage desperately for incidental sproutings off of their usual course. Just about everywhere in central Alberta that there is one or two milkweed plants poking out of the ground you are bound to find Monarchs.
edit on 6-7-2012 by dainoyfb because: of typo.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

The increase in temperature is the global average, mainly seawater some land. As a consequence there is more energy in the atmosphere, so more extreme weather event, hot gets hotter, cold get colder, storms get stormier. One possible danger on the horizon is if a critical threshold is reached and the whole atmosphere collapses into a severe ice age. Climatology is complex so it is hard to say exactly what will happen, but it is becoming clear that the climate is becoming more unstable.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
We've had them here before but it's been a while.

But never in such large numbers:

Estimates from the field suggest there are 300 million red admiral butterflies from Windsor to New Brunswick — more than 10 times what would be seen in a typical year.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux

So how does the increasing climate temp explain Australia or the record cold in Europe last year?

Head scratcher eh?

Not a head scratcher at all. As i already stated, climate scientists have been saying for decades that an increase in the earths temperature will lead to more unpredictable, extreme weather patterns, including heat waves, cold snaps, unusually heavy rainfall, rising sea levels, etc, which we are now actually seeing.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

I can tell you right now and back it up with facts, the temperature in N. America is getting warmer. Hundreds of high temps getting broken every single day. If you disregard the law of average, beware southern hemisphere because you have a lot of catching up to do.

Be safe too, I'd rather have record heat than record cold.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
All of the climate change is due to the use of underwater and ground nukes, HAARP and scalar, BP and facking, and their deliberate assualt on this planet to depopulate. They don't want to be seen as the murderers of the world's middle class. But they only want elite and a few poor slaves. Its a business model, have large numbers create wealth and infastrucure, then technology replaces the need for large workers and they get rid of the ones who have any power, the middle class, and have all the resources to themselves. And they don't think of us as alive even, just good business from what I've heard.

Volcanic erruptions are their baby as well.

Icelands volcano's changed climate and brought us an enormous amount of rain, here in western Canada. And then Fukushima.

They have used scalar to lift the jet stream so many times, someone told me, a msyterious very refined elderly man who knew so much, said this exactly to me, " the ionosphere could only be lifted so many times. ITS OVER and he was glad!" Exactly those words.

The warm weather is being caused, from what I've read, due to their halting the Gulf Stream and their lifting the ionsophere, so that the jetstream is flapping over the US, and 'creating this Heat Wave. Whereas we're getting lke a mini ice age here.

ITS THEM! They are doing this!

I don't know if the butterflies are going to survive this, they are determined to ruin this planet and blame it on us.
edit on 7-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Now what we can do about it is hold PEACE and LOVE. Don't follow their bad orders. Don't rat out your friends and neighbors, don't put people who annoy you in their place or turn them in. LOVE and care for everyone. Feed the poor.

Directed Consciousness, see vividly in meditation alone or in groups, preferably enough awake for some groups, that everyone is waking up, that they join the meditations, that we ask for help from Above, from the Real Love and Goodness Team, that we see solutions and technology and the oceans CLEANED UP, THEIR TECHNOLOGY FAILING. See everyone safe.

Our souls are infinite, and they are bigger than the cosmos. We're playing this like a projector.

According to Lou Baldin, his words for our souls is that it is greater than 1000 supermen.

They underestimate us and we have Family watching over.

All creatures great and small depend on us.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by krazykanuk

Here in Southeastern Michigan we have not seen as many this year. I even let the milkweed runrampant to try to lure them in but still have none. As hot as it is here I am not surprised that they have moved further north. I can't help but wonder how this may effect their long term survival. I don'r expect to see to many around here for the rest of the year. Another thing I have noticedx is we do not have the over abundance of white moths that we usually have. We have had hot strange weather and the bugs just don't seem to know what quite to do.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

nonsense. Your level of consumption, and the level of consumption of all those around you are to blame for the changing climate and the decimation of the middle class. But blaming fantasies will likely become more and more popular as people like you cling to the abundance of the past you squandered.o one wants to hold themselves responsible.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux

Head scratcher eh?

considering that record cold was predicted years ago due to climate change i'd say it's not such a head scratcher. seriously.... if you know anything about climate change you know that it's been said over and over that certain areas are going to get much much colder while the over all temperature increases due to the shift in the jet stream.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

It is my understanding that if the Gulf Stream is disrupted by fresh water melt it will carry less heat to Europe and Europe will cool.
An older article but none-the-less one you should definitely read to become an informed person. I hear your argument often and it's exhausting trying to disprove it over and over again. It's like Groundhog Day the movie on earth everyday.

www.independent.co.uk...

In this case a warming can cause cooling.

Like someone else said. Weather extremes as a result.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Thanks all! very informative...I love ATS...it allows me to view all kinds of perspectives and then research the facts for myself. We need more threads like this!
Cheers from rural Saskatchewan!

top topics

join