It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second Amendment Rights....(need to be CELEBRATED)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
A right is Not a priviledge....
A right is forever......A right must be utilized lest it wither in the hands of goverments....
There comes a time when it is nessessary to establish that we hold our rights to be inviolable......
To this end it is a good idea to keep the people used to partcpatng as well as aware of the inalenable rights we do hold.
Further to that aim...It would be a great plan to have some kind of national celebration of the second Amendment....

A national 2nd Amendment day with appropriate activities and such may be of benefit to keep the shooting sports both viable and popular....
I could see some kinds of special events such as pidgeon shoots, turkey shoots and all kinds of organised shooting sports ike IPSC etc.....
We have some spare room on the calander to host such a day.....and i am sure proud shooters everywhere would welcome the chance to participate in such a cause......
A nation of gun owners, should have such a celebration out of pride in that ownership, and the right to own and use guns for fun and sport.
I think it may go some distance in countering the stigma which the goverment has cast upon gun owners with operations like Fast and Furious being responsible for armng criminal cartels in Mexico.....and other operations in the Carribean.....of simlar nature...
The NRA s just not managing to get the message across well....and i think ordinary shooting sportsmen and women are the best of pubicity for the 2nd......
Any idea?

edit on 6-7-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Sounds like a good idea to me!!

The event can also teach people gun safety and local laws about fire arms

Just one restriction......no alcohol will be served or tolerated at the event

Other then that I'm all for it!!

Be safe people

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Im gona bring this up with my local shooting range....and my nra contact.. everyone else should to. Op is compldtely right and id love to bring my assault weapons down and let a couple folks shoot em :p

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
May be we could celebrate by getting together and occupying washington dc year round.
Having gun owners hold every elected office.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Look at that young ladies self confidence!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Why stop there?

Why not have an entire holiday weekend dedicated to the BoR?

We can call it BoR Day!

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Excellent idea, and I would absolutely observe this day above all else, of course halloween would be a close second as it is the only other worthy holiday imo.
Now for the bad...
You know hallmark and all of the other card companies would be quick to commercialize this day and make all sorts of favors and cards...
I'm in though, let's do this.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

I'm all for it. States with Open Carry laws should have their civilians exercising the law on a regular basis to ensure that the general public is aware of the laws. I plan to set up a booth at the local police department during the summerfest celebration this summer to educate my fellow local citizens on the open carry laws that we do have here in Michigan. I am pretty sure the police will have no problem with it but I am going in to speak with the chief this week to see what we can work out together. I plan on having my .45 on my hip, and my AK slung on my body the wholw time. I am also going to try to set up some private lessons and try to make a few bucks while I am at it.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Well, thanks guys....Id say it sure beats hiding them in the closet and pretending they arent there.....
The oh so politicallycorrect group has got to gat used to the fact the 2nd amendment is here to stay.
I think it would be a good way of de sensitizing people to guns, and demystefying guns to novices..
The right to bear arms is one of the most profound freedoms we have........

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Well, thanks guys....Id say it sure beats hiding them in the closet and pretending they arent there.....
The oh so politicallycorrect group has got to gat used to the fact the 2nd amendment is here to stay.
I think it would be a good way of de sensitizing people to guns, and demystefying guns to novices..
The right to bear arms is one of the most profound freedoms we have........

So true, So true, We must not neglect our freedoms for they may be lost in the process of our current political system.. May the 2nd Amendment live on forever.

Semper Fi.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
cheers
... way to go stirling, i'd gladly second that motion.
for a national day, choosing which month would be good place to start.
Sept is touch and go down here weather-wise, how does mid-Oct sound ?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Im gona bring this up with my local shooting range....and my nra contact.. everyone else should to. Op is compldtely right and id love to bring my SEMI-AUTO RIFLES & SHOTGUNS down and let a couple folks shoot em :p

Fixed it for ya!! We don't need anymore ammo for the Anti-Rights Folks...

I think it should include a free NRA 1st steps class.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I totally agree, but instead of organizing animal kills, simply organize an "Open Carry Day"
where regular citizens open carry their side-arms in public--of course do it in states
where it is legally allowed(sic).

The mainstream media would pick up on it, and law enforcement would become more aware
and regular citizens would be educated by exposure to the fact that IT IS legal and not
something to fear.....

And I don't say because I'm an animal rights advocate...it just makes more sense to
directly make the point and exercise the right...

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311

I'm all for it. States with Open Carry laws should have their civilians exercising the law on a regular basis to ensure that the general public is aware of the laws. I plan to set up a booth at the local police department during the summerfest celebration this summer to educate my fellow local citizens on the open carry laws that we do have here in Michigan. I am pretty sure the police will have no problem with it but I am going in to speak with the chief this week to see what we can work out together. I plan on having my .45 on my hip, and my AK slung on my body the wholw time. I am also going to try to set up some private lessons and try to make a few bucks while I am at it.

Michigan does NOT have an "open carry law" (except for CPL holders..which doesnt count much in my opinion). Michigan has a lack of laws banning open carry, and has a bunch of freakin moron cops that think its illegal...
Even the cop that runs my local gun store thinks open carry is "brandishing". Dude even told me its illegal to make your own gun. I give up with him, just so typical of cops these days... Oh yeah, and "being in a motor vehicle" makes it concealed..... People never seem to notice me handling my .45 when i go in/leave bars though, you'd think they would.....cant take it in bars so i get out of my car, take it out of my holster, lock it in the car...

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Originally posted by phroziac
Im gona bring this up with my local shooting range....and my nra contact.. everyone else should to. Op is compldtely right and id love to bring my SEMI-AUTO RIFLES & SHOTGUNS down and let a couple folks shoot em :p

Fixed it for ya!! We don't need anymore ammo for the Anti-Rights Folks...

I think it should include a free NRA 1st steps class.

LOL. I was being a smartass, of course...
edit on 7-7-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I think people ought to start wearing their guns openly everywhere they go. Be there to support these people who are protesting. We might not agree what they are protesting, but they sure have a right to exercise the 1st. amendment, and we should be supporting each other in all our rights.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by viperdave

Because America's priorities have always been about NOT shooting people, right? That's why one of the top 5 reasons to have a gun is self defense? Against what? A turkey? No, because people know what not only are there nutcases who like to use guns on humans, but that it's very likely they may find themselves facing down a gun barrel.

That's also why every cop carries a gun, and why even people who don't hunt have a pistol in their drawer or something. Because guns have never, EVER been known to provide the temptation to shoot someone.

Guns can go to hell. We only like them because they make killing easier...not the best standard, really, for a species that is particularly well known for its tendency to SLAUGHTER ITS OWN KIND.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OldSchoolMom

No one ever killed another man with words. Perhaps the words lead to something bigger, but the words themselves never instilled death.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

What? Have you ever heard of an animal that can kill people? Supposedly we don't have cougars in Michigan. Yet I heard the cops kill one on the police scanner very near where I live. So apparently we do have cougars..there's also been numerous citings, but they try to make it sound as likely as bigfoot. But i've never heard of bigfoot being shot by the police on the police scanner!

Ever heard of rabies?

So what am i supposed to do if im in the woods and a rabid cougar comes after me?

We have lots of coyotes in Michigan. They will walk right up to your house and investigate, they seem incredibly curious. It doesn't take much to spook a wild animal. And rabies. What am i supposed to do if a rabid coyote comes after me? Also, they're WIDE OPEN for hunting here. No limits...except on hunting hours. It's always coyote season and AR-15s in 5.56 NATO are as good as it gets for killing them.....

And if anyone attempts to kill me, they have just lost their right to live. Why should I die at the hands of a criminal?

People might not have been killed by words but they've been killed with fists before. And knives. And ropes.....
edit on 7-7-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Although I appreciate your sentiment, the 2nd amendment has absolutely NOTHING to do with hunting. The only purpose of the 2nd amendment is to protect and guarantee all of the other natural rights, and to keep tyranny in check. Period. The founding generation hunted all of the time, because that is the way that they fed themselves and their families. It was as normal as you and I going to the grocery store. So why would they feel the need to articulate that in a bill of rights?? They wouldn't. A more appropriate celebration of the 2nd amendment would be for 20 million gun owners to surround Washington D.C.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Maybe, just maybe...one might get all the shooting ranges to have an" open free" day where guests are invited to come and watch and perhaps even participate if qualified...but at east come and see what is going on, meet the people who use the facility so they understand gun owners are NOT a fringe group!
I think it woud surprise most anti gun activists how seriously and safely events are carried out.....
Of course a couple of moose burgers and some friendly informal chat couldnt go amiss in making better community acceptance of the constitution right of ever law abiding citizen....
Lots of LEOs into shooting sport as well as vetrans and even a grandmother or two....
I have shot against disabled people in wheelchairs even,(and lost) shooting is a human passtime since the dawn of the cavemen...
Rocks and slings, bows and arrows sspears and throwing sticks rifles and hand guns...
We have been target practicing forever it seems...
So never mind all the practical situations and lets concentrate on the downright fun of it....
The thrill of pinking holes in paper as closel as possible, or shattering clay pidgeons in twos and threes even...
When i was twelve i was sent out to shoot gophers if they began to take over certain corners of the fields ,The horses and cattle would be at risk of broken legs....
I spent many a happy hour out there learning how to shoot....how to stalk, how to blend with the land and be part of the whole scene....
I mean really how many gophers can one get rid of with only six or seven 22 rounds...?
It was a proud day the day i shot more gophers than i was given bullets....
I am sure we all have these fond memories of our love of shooting....
But the general public gets little chance anymore to partake pf that side of life....
I believe we all should be taught about guns just for the sake of SAFETY!
never mind how to use them....just how to be safe with them first off.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join