It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama pastor holding "Whites Only" conference

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
A controversial pastor in Lamar County, Alabama is holding a conference for "whites only" ending today. The event is being sponsored by the "Christian Identity Ministries" for "white Christians who feel they've been treated unfairly". Big surprise the Ku Klux Klan and other white supremacist groups are there in force.

The event organizer and keynote speaker, Rev. Mel Lewis, says that they have the right to worship however they wish. The even will be topped with a "sacred Christian cross lighting." He goes on to say "We're bringing the word of God to people who want it, otherwise they wouldn't be here."

A controversial pastor's conference welcoming only "white Christians" is underway in Lamar County, Ala., upsetting residents of the nearby town of Winfield in the western part of the state.

Christian Identity Ministries is holding a three-day conference for so-called "white Christians" who contend they have been treated unfairly, the Rev. Mel Lewis told local TV station WSFA. Lewis, the organizer and keynote speaker, says they have the right, like any other Americans, to worship how they wish.

Ku Klux Klan flags and white supremacy slogans surround the conference, which will conclude with a cross being set on fire Friday night. Organizers say it's not a cross-burning, but rather sacred Christian cross lighting.

Whites only conference

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Thankfully the "blacks only" ish Christian Conferences I ever went to as a kid were not at the exclusion of white, just never really made an attempt to bring in the White congregations. I was 1 of 2 white kids there, the one I went to, and they were welcoming.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
A controversial pastor in Lamar County, Alabama is holding a conference for "whites only" ending today.

If members of congress can have a race-based Congressional Black Caucus, I don't see how anyone can legitimately complain. These people have rejected a non-black applicant which is pretty much the height of racism.

Let's compare apples to apples here. Ok?

thecongressionalblackcaucus.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
These people are racist...they're having a cross burning. It's one big Klan rally. They believe Europeans are the chosen people. You can go look it up.

But anyways..So I think it's hilarious that these people seriously think that Jesus was white. Pretty sure he looked like your average Arab that inhabited the area at that time...Do these people not understand Jerusalem is not in Europe? He was not an ashkenazi jew

edit on 6-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jcarpenter

Are masons sexist because they don't allow female membership? Or is Curves sexist for not allowing male membership? I don't think so. People make groups..

It's like when white people call BET racist.. It is ridiculous... 99.9% of the channels on TV are marketed towards whites.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter

Originally posted by Zaphod58
A controversial pastor in Lamar County, Alabama is holding a conference for "whites only" ending today.

If members of congress can have a race-based Congressional Black Caucus, I don't see how anyone can legitimately complain. These people have rejected a non-black applicant which is pretty much the height of racism.

Let's compare apples to apples here. Ok?

thecongressionalblackcaucus.com...

But it is not apples to apples. Did you read the history and what the group is about? The white only church is about separation and discrimination. White people (which I am white) are the reason for the need for these types of groups. You probably do not see the point and reason behind BET as well
edit on 7/6/2012 by Djayed because: Didn't sound how I meant it

edit on 7/6/2012 by Djayed because: I was wrong with my dates

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

But anyways..So I think it's hilarious that these people seriously think that Jesus was white. Pretty sure he looked like your average Arab that inhabited the area at that time...Do these people not understand Jerusalem is not in Europe? He was not an ashkenazi jew

OH C'MON NOW!!!! Let the Christians have their blue-eyed white bearded guy fairy-tale. If they thought he was of dark-skin, the Christian membership would dwindle down to near nothing! AH, scratch that one. With their fictional promise of "eternal paradise" them hypocrites would worship Hitler for their free-pass and golden-ticket to "heaven".

Shame on you for raining on their parade, er, um... I mean their fairy-tale!!

edit on 6-7-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors

Originally posted by RealSpoke

OH C'MON NOW!!!! Let the Christians have their blue-eyed white bearded guy fairy-tale. If they thought he was of dark-skin, the Christian membership would dwindle down to near nothing! AH, scratch that one. With their fictional promise of "eternal paradise" them hypocrites would worship Hitler for their free-pass and golden-ticket to "heaven".

Shame on you for raining on their parade, er, um... I mean their fairy-tale!!

edit on 6-7-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

Racism is one thing that is unasseptable, but there seems to be a huge double standard on what is condemned see The New Black Panthers. In addition, Religious intolerance and taunting shows grave immaturity on your part especially when you still have to have a faith to belive in nothing.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Whats wrong with doing that?

There's........

Black Entertainment Television
Black Miss America
Congressional Black Caucus
United Negro College fund

Lord forbid that there is something that's white's only.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The only thing that disturbs me is that the only publicly and blatantly "whites only" group has to be so obviously KKK. If they had just been merely "whites only" and not done anything else, there would have been no reason to have to have a story on it.
Way to ruin an attempt at pseudo-equality.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Because it is a hateful Klan rally, literally.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Its Jesus's Church...

Not whites or blacks...

And He said EVERYONE is welcome...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

There's........

Black Miss America

The majority race in this nation is white European, which for the past several hundred years treated anyone with, God forbid, a different skin colour as second class citizens. And yet you ask what is wrong with excluding others during a allegedly Christian conference because of their skin colour?

The African-American based programs you listed exist because African-Americans are underrepresented in our country. Perhaps these things help our country not be so one sided.

Race is a social construct developed by a bunch of old white men and the concept of dividing people by their skin colour makes me sick! Sorry, I wish this country would stop with the us versus them menality, its tearing us apart.

edit on 6-7-2012 by LR2543 because: nevermind

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LR2543

Thank you for saying that. I didn't feel like typing it out as I've had to so many time on this forum.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

You're welcome. I just wish our world were a different place.

And EvanB, I agree. I don't understand why so many people make the choices they do when it comes to following any belief, whether they have one or not.
edit on 6-7-2012 by LR2543 because: .

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LR2543

The only problems with this reasoning:

1. Just because a group is in the minority doesn't mean that they need to segregate themselves in any manner. The reasoning you're using doesn't automatically make it right. All it does is explains how it happened.

2. Even most of the KKK started out over fears of being marginalized--seriously, check out why people joined at the height of this group's popularity. Any group that starts out of worry about being left behind due to their skin color runs the risk of becoming the KKK. The worst part? No one addresses this. And it's a real danger.

edit on 6-7-2012 by CynicalDrivel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Regardless of the importance of representing an under-represented group, as long as there is a CBC, NAACP et al, there will be attempts at "whites only" organisations.

“Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.”

― Muhammad Ali

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Absolutely NO EXCUSE for something like that!!
Pure Racism and nothing more

I get so disgusted by the racism, the sexism, the everything-isms that go on out there!!

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Wait there's no excuse for that? but there is an excuse for FUBU BET the congressional black caucus the NAACP the american negro college fund, and and and.... ?

I agree with you that racism is stupid..... NO MATTER WHO DOES IT

Unless and until they disband all of the organizations listed above plus the hundreds or thousands of others I have not listed I will continue to see no problem with whites only groups.

After all things are supposed to be fair and balanced in this country if one race can have exclusive clubs college funds and congressional voting blocks why can't others?

To my mind the civil rights movement should have put paid to ANY Groups that discriminate based on race creed or color, but it hasn't.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

There's........

CMT (Country Music Television)

Black Miss America

It wasn't until the 70's that non-white women could participate in Miss America. I think you should let this one slide...

It's outdated and we don't need it. However, out of 100 senators, there are ZERO black people. And the republican caucus pretty much is the Congressional White Caucus (from 2003 until just recently, there were also zero black republican congressmen).

There is a scholarship for nearly every single white ethnicity there is. They run just like the UNCF.

You are right, there are not many things that are white only. This because nearly everything is white mostly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join