It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Huntsman Jr. skipping GOP convention, calls for party to shift focus

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

Actually, Huntsman has an excellent point that is apparently lost on most of you. You'd rather play that partisan game of "poo-poo the sore loser" instead of questioning the current Republican ethos.

For a party to succeed, they can't be too far on either side of the spectrum.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

True that "public trust" was low in 1960-70's (culturally, there was the "don't trust anyone over 30" said by the growing vocal under 30). Lyndon Johnson was often referred to as a "baby killer" over Vietnam. "Impeach earl Warren" signs (courtesy of the John Birch Society) proliferated, Civil Rights and Medicare made some expound on Big Govt, Watergate and Nixon's resignation, CIA involvement in other countries, living in a world where the press of a govt button could bring nuclear doom.

Unlike an emotional public response to criticize govt, what Newt Gingrich proposed was a deliberate attempt to achieve political victory by destruction of the enemy, as he called Democrats “the enemy of normal Americans.” In effect, Newt was declaring war.

Note his list of words for fellow Republicans to use

“Often we search hard for words to define our opponents. Sometimes we are hesitant to use contrast. Remember that creating a difference helps you. These are powerful words that can create a clear and easily understood contrast. Apply these to the opponent, their record, proposals and their party.
abuse of power
anti- (issue): flag, family, child, jobs
betray
bizarre
bosses
bureaucracy
cheat
coercion
“compassion” is not enough
collapse(ing)
consequences
corrupt
corruption
criminal rights
crisis
cynicism
decay
deeper
destroy
destructive
devour
disgrace
endanger
excuses
failure (fail)
greed
hypocrisy
ideological
impose
incompetent
insecure
insensitive
intolerant
liberal
lie
limit(s)
machine
mandate(s)
obsolete
pathetic
patronage
permissive attitude
pessimistic
punish (poor …)
radical
red tape
self-serving
selfish
sensationalists
shallow
shame
sick
spend(ing)
stagnation
status quo
steal
taxes
they/them
threaten
traitors
unionized
urgent (cy)
waste
welfare”

one source

Civility and warfare do not coexist. This was not just "public opinion" denigrating govt, this was a battle to rule. One could no longer refer to "The good gentleman/gentlewoman from ...." on the floor of Congress. Gone was the idea of the loyal opposition. Over time was gone friendships among political rivals.

Add this to the distribution of party money only to those politicians keeping strictly to the increasingly far right partly line, and the GOP culled its ranks first of liberals, then of moderates, and now even those not "right enough".

To save itself, the GOP must purge itself of the poison it drank when offered by Gingrich and his ilk.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I guess people forget that Huntsman is Romney's cousin. They had the same granfather in Mexico at the Mormon camp where they ran off to when Lincoln passed laws with presidential executive orders against multiple wifes and on the size a church could be. Huntsman was also at the Builderburgg meetings probly for the Mormon church and Romney. A shift is what Romney wants. He wants his etcha sketch shaken.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

And you completely skirt the fact that i tore that artical to shreds and showed there is no factual basis for this. The "proof" that author gives is the fact that people no longer trust their government. I proved that took place long before Gingrich. Sorry, you have opinion and no facts, you are welcome to your opinion as a US citizen.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Huntsman is too intelligent to be elected as a Republican.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
Huntsman is too intelligent to be elected as a Republican.

Well technically yes, he is pretty smart - for his family business.

Huntsman Polyurethanes

I don't think a lot of people are aware of the fact that Huntsman Jr.'s father (Jon Huntsman Sr.) is the founder of Huntsman Polyurethanes, a multi-billion dollar company (Same level as Exxon/DOW/Shell etc.) that owns and operates a wide range of chemical plants. Given the fact that Huntsman Polyurethanes has been building and buying chemical plants in China, it would seem logical that there might be a possibility of Huntsman Jr. sliding some deals under the table while he was ambassador to China and trying to run for president. I wouldn't be surprised that his family's company would skyrocket in profits if had taken the oval office.

Maybe I'm wrong, and nothing at all has happened. Just seems fishy.

Oh and yeah, I used to be an operator (made product) for a Huntsman owned chemical plant.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

"even Ron Paul". You just have to throw out that jab to the American people don't you?

Yeah right, like everyone in America is a Paul fanatic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join