It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Huntsman Jr. skipping GOP convention, calls for party to shift focus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Yes, apparently Jon Huntsman is skipping the GOP convention:

Former Utah governor and unsuccessful presidential candidate Jon Huntsman Jr. said Friday he won't be attending any GOP national conventions until the party shifts its focus.

Huntsman, who dropped out of the race for the GOP presidential nomination in January after a disappointing third-place finish in New Hampshire, said he has attended virtually every GOP convention since 1984, when he was a delegate for Ronald Reagan.

"I will not be attending this year's convention, nor any Republican convention in the future, until the party focuses on a bigger, bolder, more confident future for the United States," Huntsman said in a statement.

www.deseretnews.com...

Well he certainly won't be missed in my opinion. He scored the lowest out of all the GOP presidential candidates, even Ron Paul, and his views are just too far out of the current mindset in the GOP. He is viewed as a very moderate Republican, even more so than Romney. Huntsman also didn't gain any significant delegates, he got what? 2 delegates? So he won't have an ounce of influence come convention time either. Nevertheless his absence for the first time in a while is something. I like Huntsman, he think he was saner than even Romney, but then again he was never one of the true GOP candidates participating in the race.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

"He said he encourages "a return to the party we have been in the past, from Lincoln right on through to Reagan, that was always willing to put our country before politics."
unquote
guess its what u cherry pick.

A cherry picker,, someone who cheats , too win.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome

Who cheated to win? Romney got close to half the total votes in the GOP. He won fair and square.
edit on 6-7-2012 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The Republican Party is chasing out all of its remaining sane members. First it was the rise of Evangelical Protestantism into politics with Reagan, then the fanaticism, recklessness, and warmongering of Bush, Jr., and now the incorporation of mob politics via the Tea Party into the GOP. It is surprising that any true philosophical Conservative would want anything to do with the party at this point. The Barry Goldwater faction has hijacked it entirely, they also go by "grassroots conservative movement".

Long gone are the days of Dwight D. Eisenhower or hell, even a Richard Nixon, who would at this point be a step up. In my opinion if the GOP were attempting to gain any respect today as a sensible party it would try and appeal to someone like Jon Huntsman. This is not to say that I agree with Huntsman's position on the issues, he is too liberal for me, but Conservatism is about a certain character more than any set of rules. Personally, Chief Justice John Roberts would be an ideal VP selection or candidate for 2016 or 2020. Once again, I do not agree with everything the man stands for but I believe his way of upholding his office rather than pandering to demagogues or the mob is truly worthy of praise. Roberts probably, much like myself, does not like the health care law but he knew that the dissenters were just playing politics and he wants the Supreme Court to be better than mere politics.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Here are a few more GOP members not attending the convention.
Their excuse is running for election or re-election.
The real question is with 2 months left till the convention how many more GOP members will back out ?

Connecticut Senate candidate Linda McMahon

Former Virginia Sen. George Allen

Montana Rep. Denny Rehberg—who is running for Senate

Nevada Sen. Dean Heller

news.yahoo.com...

I think many GOP elected officials believe Romney IS NOT the right guy for the job and don't want to go down with the ship.
edit on 6-7-2012 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Who cheated to win? Romney got close to half the total votes in the GOP. He won fair and square.
dont you mean ron paul? lol

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

The way you Republicans are bonding with each other is Fantastic!!!

This new breed of Republican is so far removed from Reagan's golden rule it's hard to even reconcile what it means to be a Republican today. On one hand you have tea party funding campaigns against Latino Republican politicians in Texas, to them funding opposition towards established Congressmen along with them pouring money into out of state elections. This party is so anti Bi Partisanship and everyday seems to be making less and less room within the party for people. Its like there is a secret litmus test you must pass to be in this party anymore.

edit on 6-7-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

calls for party to shift focus

It will fall on deaf ears.

Republicans are lying if they truly think Romney is uniting the party.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I do see pending split in the GOP, probably within two decades or so. Things are changing in this country and you have factions in the GOP with differences as to where the party should go. This isn't necessarily a good thing for the Democratic party because if you get a party that brings in the Huntsmans, Jeb Bushes, McCain, those more moderate republicans, they may end up taking the blue dogs among the Democrats as well. We'll end up with 3 parties, which isn't such a bad thing. It's just with the GOP acting out the way it is now, I just don't see a sustainable future for the party as one.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

...they may end up taking the blue dogs among the Democrats as well. We'll end up with 3 parties, which isn't such a bad thing. It's just with the GOP acting out the way it is now, I just don't see a sustainable future for the party as one.

Three powerful parties would be a good thing, and there are places where they currently crossover, as you point out. There are elements and factions within either party that I like and those that I abhor. The two-party system makes compromising our values and going along with disagreeable ideas in order to move ahead with what we see as desirable all too commonplace. Three parties should cause us to work on building better consensus and, at least in theory, should permit us to zero-in on and enact what is more beneficial.

Let it splinter and rebuild itself into something better. If one small but vocal faction gets fractionalized out that would be an improvement, though in many areas I think it preferable for those minority interests to find their own communities of expression. We do not all have to live the same dream nor suffer the same nightmares in a more perfect society.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
And another one bites the dust.

Michigan Republican Rep. Thaddeus McCotter resigns.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Jon Huntsman was my choice for President. He was the smartest of the bunch, but he looked and acted too much like Romney. I believe that if Romney doesn't win in 2012 he could definitely be a challenger in 2016 on either the Independent or even the democratic ticket.

I would have to switch parties to vote for him but he is the only one I would do that for!

If Romney gets one or two terms, he could definitely run after him

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I knew he was a good choice for president! I wish he hadn't dropped out so early.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by stinkelbaum

dont you mean ron paul? lol

No he meant Romney, he would be a liar if he said Ron Paul. Or completely ignorant of the facts. Good thing no one is THAT ignorant.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Lol "even Ron Paul". You just have to throw out that jab to the American people don't you? It makes you feel powerful inside doesn't it? You think you are part of the system don't you? You enjoy your pathetic power trip to put down the American people don't you? Think it's fun? You #ing love it don't you?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

"I will not be attending this year's convention, nor any Republican convention in the future, until the party focuses on a bigger, bolder, more confident future for the United States,"

Well, Jon, I hate to tell you, but I don't think there's anyone left in your party who cares if you ever show up. Heck, after you joined the Brookings Institute, you are now "the enemy", not only of the GOP but of all America. You and John Roberts are now personas non grata. Roberts is now considered treasonous by The Base, sort of like some of them suspicious of your patriotism for speaking Mandarin.

Mann and Ornstein blame Newt for where your party is today

From the day he entered Congress in 1979, Gingrich had a strategy to create a Republican majority in the House: convincing voters that the institution was so corrupt that anyone would be better than the incumbents, especially those in the Democratic majority. It took him 16 years, but by bringing ethics charges against Democratic leaders; provoking them into overreactions that enraged Republicans and united them to vote against Democratic initiatives; exploiting scandals to create even more public disgust with politicians; and then recruiting GOP candidates around the country to run against Washington, Democrats and Congress, Gingrich accomplished his goal.

source

Norquist doesn't escape their blame, either. And the table tilted so far to the right, that anyone left of extreme right could no longer hang on

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

Their answer to the detrimental "asymmetric polarization" can be found on the above SOURCE page containing

In the end, while the press can make certain political choices understandable, it is up to voters to decide. If they can punish ideological extremism at the polls and look skeptically upon candidates who profess to reject all dialogue and bargaining with opponents, then an insurgent outlier party will have some impetus to return to the center. Otherwise, our politics will get worse before it gets better.

So, Jon, you want "bigger, bolder, more confident future", then help demand that media call out the right wing bs and help voters throw out the insane clown incumbents (and refuse to vote more in!). Otherwise, we'll be stuck with a smaller, cowardly, fearful future.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

This is laughable... there is tons of proof of voter fraud from the romney camp and the GOP that its sick.

Romney was chosen because even if he wins he will not get rid of government controlled healthcare...

Thats what its all about.. control power and money... Romney will still send america's sons and daughters to be killed in other countries. He will continue the same policies as Obama..

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert

"I will not be attending this year's convention, nor any Republican convention in the future, until the party focuses on a bigger, bolder, more confident future for the United States,"

Well, Jon, I hate to tell you, but I don't think there's anyone left in your party who cares if you ever show up. Heck, after you joined the Brookings Institute, you are now "the enemy", not only of the GOP but of all America. You and John Roberts are now personas non grata. Roberts is now considered treasonous by The Base, sort of like some of them suspicious of your patriotism for speaking Mandarin.

Mann and Ornstein blame Newt for where your party is today

From the day he entered Congress in 1979, Gingrich had a strategy to create a Republican majority in the House: convincing voters that the institution was so corrupt that anyone would be better than the incumbents, especially those in the Democratic majority. It took him 16 years, but by bringing ethics charges against Democratic leaders; provoking them into overreactions that enraged Republicans and united them to vote against Democratic initiatives; exploiting scandals to create even more public disgust with politicians; and then recruiting GOP candidates around the country to run against Washington, Democrats and Congress, Gingrich accomplished his goal.

source
Great opinion piece! Of course it's devoid of facts. Public trust in government was going down in the 60's, and in the 70's was sinking like a brick. By 1979 it was already in 20% range. It actually went up quite a bit after 1979. In fact in the 16 years this opinion piece uses it went up about 50%! The rest of that is pure liberal propaganda crap. Take a look at the facts of public opinion towards government in the 70's and you will see the truth.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Huntsman is a sore loser. He ran for the GOP's nomination to the highest office in the land THIS YEAR.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

The fact that Huntsman couldn't place better shows that the Republican party has completed its' shift to the far right.

Even Romney can't save that party from itself.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join