It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmology group finds measurable evidence of dark matter filament

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
i have been waiting to hear of some observations of this nature for quite some time..........

Abell 222/223 is a galactic supercluster system in the constellation Cetus. It’s made up of two parts, 222 and 223, separated by a gas cloud and something else that cannot be seen. In looking at data collected by telescopes used to study the supercluster in prior research efforts, Dietrich and his team found that lensing occurred as light behind the gas cloud made its way to us by passing between the two parts. But after careful study and mathematical analysis, they found that the observable matter that existed in the gas cloud could only account for about nine percent of the mass required to cause the degree of lensing that was occurring. Because there was nothing else in the area, the only possible explanation was that dark matter in the shape of a filament was the cause.

phsyorg

this observation is not only important to me because it uses gravitational lensing in its method,
it is also important because it shows a filament between two separate galaxies on a axis of rotation.

what is interesting is that a very large amount of mass is required to be "inside" the "tendril" or filament to preform the lensing dynamics we observe.

ie the light from background galaxies is being lensed by both the foreground galaxies,
BUT SO IS THE FILAMENT,

and if we just use gravity as a source for the explanation of the deviation of light inside the filament,
we need large amounts of Dark Matter to explain the deviation of light along its path.

recent findings show that even individual small single galaxies can be lenses,

that act like giant magnifying glasses in space,

we now know there are "bubbles" around most galaxies and we can analyse the composition of the elements and conditions of these bubbles using a background quasar.

i wounder considering the fact that we now know these things we dont suspect that some of the deviation of light,
might be an optical density effect, rather than being totally account for by gravity alone?

now consider we ourself s (observer) as being in a galaxy of large enough size to be considered a gravitational lense, and as density effects optical equations,

our galaxy and the "filiment" "could" focally interact as a space based telescope,

The new research concludes that galaxies have no definite “edges.” Instead galaxies have long outskirts of dark matter that extend to nearby galaxies and the intergalactic space is not empty but filled with dark matter.

same source

whats interesting to me is that this finding makes no mention of the fact that some galaxies have boudaries and they are measurable,

and when you see what a bubble does to anything inside it....

but the shape of this bubble and the shape of the galaxy inside would deviate light on its path.......

IMHO the Dark Matter inferred by this measurement is caused by optical effects compounding the gravity induced deviation.

and without taking into account density gravitational lensing, there will always be much more deviation than what can be explained by matter alone.

i am reminded of a physorg article,
were they said
for a dwarf galaxy to orbit the milky way in the manner observed,
dark matter must be present,
but when measured for mass enough visible matter was present to rule out dark matter.

so is Dark Matter an optical illusion with the HELP of gravity?

xploder

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I so wish I could understand physics.. you just confused the hell out if me. Good read nonetheless.
ETA: So basically we could be seeing a warped picture of the space outside our galaxy? Lol.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
reply to post by XPLodER

I so wish I could understand physics.. you just confused the hell out if me. Good read nonetheless.
ETA: So basically we could be seeing a warped picture of the space outside our galaxy? Lol.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

bingo,
if we asume the only distortions to a back round source are from gravity alone then we are missing the optical effects we have previously acepted.

simply put maby its the "picture" or image we observe that is incorrect, not the amount of mass we can see,

there is more out there than just gravity

and you understand perfectly

xploder

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Yeah, gravitational lensing really throws a wrench in the works.

Regardless, I can say that in my own opinion, the real problem is the flawed mathematical system that is physics. The limits are known about, too. Its just that the formulas work so well. Regardless, I think a better explanation of dark matter lies between the two, with a little being various quirks of physics like lensing, and the other being a flawed cosmology.

Anyway, great link. Thanks for sharing it, and your viewpoints on it.
edit on 6-7-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

hi bud havent seen you around for a while

i thought i would cover this issue because it leads to much greater discoveries

very important work is being done to better understand the universe,

i love this type of observation as it could prove or destroy some of my previous work,
very exciting time for me atm

your friend xploder

new topics

top topics

join