It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse discrimination at your job centre. How is this leaflet acceptable? (United Kingdom)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Evening ATS.

Couple of week ago i was in my local job centre doing the obvious - looking for work. I noticed on the advisor's table the usual, few bits and pieces about jobs going and then this little gem about learning some skills in Customer service, business admin, office work and childcare. So i picked up the leaflet thinking "Hey, this could be really useful for me, i could learn a few things and it could get me going in the right direction"
Then i read its for Black and Ethnic Minorities.

Here is the leaflet i scanned and uploaded to photobucket.

Or Link if the above does not work

I picked up the leaflet and had the following short conversation with my advisor:

Me: "This is a bit naughty isnt it?"

Advisor: "Hmm?" *looking at the leaflet*

Me: "Well, it says for only black and ethnic's... Its discrimination.."

Advisor: *Mumble mumble* "What jobs did you apply for last week"

Not a care in the world!
I personally think this leaflet should be removed. The role of a job centre is to help people back into work no matter what race, age, gender or sexual orientation you are. If this 3rd party wishes to get certain people on their government funded course then it should do the leg work and stop advertising in public places. As a while british female i am offended by this leaflet and im still in half a mind to write a complaint up about it.

This is 2012, The discrimination needs to stop on all sides only then can we start being equal to one another.

edit on 6-7-2012 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-7-2012 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
i think you using the word discrimination may be a bit to far. I understand it.
But you have to know that minorities have a higher unemployment rate, a lower education rate and live in much higher poverty rates compared to whites.

So if they need to make a minority only event to help people so be it.

+39 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
i think you using the word discrimination may be a bit to far. I understand it.
But you have to know that minorities have a higher unemployment rate, a lower education rate and live in much higher poverty rates compared to whites.

So if they need to make a minority only event to help people so be it.

i would love to see the evidence for what you have stated because there are white males leaving school's these days without basic reading and writing skills. This is discrimination and it of the most pointless kind.

You can dress it up as much as you want but it is what it is. Excluding member's from an organisation based on their Race, Gender, Age or sexual orientation is Discrimination

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

your completely right, this leaflet is just a ploy to stir up hatred, i'm guessing you live in the leeds area, i live not so far away in dewsbury. the racial tension around here is pretty intense without the local authorities trying to create an even bigger divide, shame on the council for purposely being so irresponsible!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It could very well be reverse discrimination, or a group organized to target this minority group because unemployment among that group is nearly twice as high the national average.

Add this onto the fact that those under age 24 have incredibly high unemployment.

Then unemployment by education.

Just think for a minute if unemployment was 25% or higher (U6) among the entire nation. That is the reality and crisis that faces these minority groups specifically.

I have no problem with this because it is targeting a huge problem group, being minority and young with little to no education. This group needs help desperately or they will simply drag down our system by overusing social safety nets.

It may and probably is frustrating as hell to see programs like this targeting these groups, but the numbers don't lie about the fact that they need help far beyond the average person.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yah, we have that garbage all over Canada too.

I've seen it too many times where they post "native" only jobs. It's stupid. They may as well say they are only looking for Christians or people under 5' tall while they are at it.

It's not right, but even if they didn't put that little disclaimer there; then applied, I can guarantee you no job.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

There is no discrimination here; ethnic minorities and blacks do very badly in North Yorkshire. The authorities are simply trying to alleviate disproportionate rates of unemployment.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nuclear12346

Latino's? The evidence you have listed isnt based on the UK population is it?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have seen it.

In the future, Caucasians will be a rare race, and then eventually turn into elves.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ilovecatbinlady

There is no discrimination here; ethnic minorities and blacks do very badly in North Yorkshire. The authorities are simply trying to alleviate disproportionate rates of unemployment.

There are people of all race's that do badly and it just seems pointless trying to help one rather than the other and at the expense of tax payer's money. I don't understand why this group cant be open to everyone? Surely the governments aim to get as many people as possible back into work?

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It is acceptable only because the general population of the UK accepted the transformation of their society into the current afirmative action/reverse discrimination centric society it is today and the UK is by no means alone here. When much of these programs began (at least here in the US) anyone who dared point out the fact that they are discriminatory and two wrongs never make a right were portrayed as racists and bigots. What's more, the media worked alongside the "progressives" to ensure that society viewed even a hint of someone being considered a racist as being by far and away the worst thing that one could be called. (See the over-reaction to incidents such as Don Imus and Micheal Richards, who were forced to fully supplicate themselves to the offended and still were brutalized by the media controlled cult of public opinion.) What is good for the majority no longer matters, only what is good for the special interest groups that can yell the loudest matter. This extends way, way beyond race in most of the western world. We see it with the EPA castration of development and growth to supposedly "protect" threatened species which are apparently more important than feeding and providing for families. We see it with education where the poor are lead into student loan traps for degrees that will never help them get a job that pays enough to make it worthwhile. We even see it with religion where anything remotely traditional is openly persecuted while the fringe is protected and encouraged.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
um so its not discrimination because its saying black people and ethnics typically are uneducated and more likely to be poor? Can someone pls tell me the answer why society assumes black people arent educated? Thats like saying they are pretty much stupid right? or did I miss something? If I was black I would be offended by the leaflet. id be like "screw your pity...equal rights!"
Stuff like this is so common place that "reverse discrimination" isnt even a socially acceptable term!
why is there a blacknews.com ? Where is whitenews.com ? would it only be fair to have a whitenews.com since there is a blacknews.com? and dont tell me all news is whitenews, plenty of reporters are black!
edit on 6-7-2012 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
As a intelligent white guy, I've been bucking this reverse discrimination crap since the early '80s.

Fair is fair, and two wrongs don't make a right.

Same thing with senior discounts, my mom gets one for bridge tolls, something that should objectively be the EXACT same, per vehicle. Mom is far from poor.

Just like in the store or building supply, older pay less so younger pay more. How is that fair to struggling families?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The only reason this is accepted is because there's is an apparent double standard in society in general that makes everyone ok with the idea that only white people could be racist and discriminatory.

If the person hiring does give an edge to Latino and Black candidates, well that's fine because it's his business.
But, in no way people should have the right to post something racist like this that would be on media all around the US if it was pro-white.

Double standard, don't call me racist because I see the obvious.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
this ain't no accident... it is the main stay of the Øbama policy (un said but evident)
he lurched ahead on largesse and playing the Affirmative Action card

so... as harmless as the gov't brochure 'seems' it is his Regimes' deliberate policy to exact the 40 Acres & a Mule promise from the Lincoln era

to these sociopaths, with a influence from the radical, revolutionary 'Weathermen' faction as a major component of his formulative years... this Commander-in-Chief should be ousted just like Jimmy Carter was after his one term

there is not room in the society for his kind of extremeism no matter how many times one launders it to 'feel good' to the masses

detest is more my feelings about the man

ADD/EDIT-

...oh this was a promotion sheet from England...

well, the same principles apply... a position must be open to ALL which apply, the preference policy of preferring ethnics/africans/muslims etc... can be kept mum to the public
edit on 6-7-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-7-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Hold on a cotton picking minute! Read the leaflet, it is from Leeds in North Yorkshire. It has nothing to do with affirmative action or Obama.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

There are people of all race's that do badly and it just seems pointless trying to help one rather than the other and at the expense of tax payer's money. I don't understand why this group cant be open to everyone? Surely the governments aim to get as many people as possible back into work?

The unfairness is the disproportionate levels of unemployment and not the government's attempt at undoing damage imposed on minority communities by the majority.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

reply to post by St Udio

Hold on a cotton picking minute! Read the leaflet, it is from Leeds in North Yorkshire. It has nothing to do with affirmative action or Obama.

YEAH... my bad... but i have made an amendment to my earlier post

will this suffice, (i hope)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

The unfairness is the disproportionate levels of unemployment and not the government's attempt at undoing damage imposed on minority communities by the majority.

Does equality mean nothing in this day and age? Or do we have to do so many decade's of special treatment in order to reach equality?

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
No matter which way you cut it, this is discrimination and actually flies in the face of recent legislation brought in by the mother of all PC parties, Labour... It begs the question why you haven't gone to a Lawyer. You could have a field day.

As for the whole "ethnic minorities are poorer/less educated", that may be true. But when you see gangs of black or Asian youths knocking about their estates till the early hours, causing trouble and not even bothering with school to begin with, surely this is a problem of their own making. It is of no coincidence that the majority of gang related crime and knife/gun crime comes from those very same communities, hence why the Met have a whole task force set up to deal with the issue of "black on black" crime, Operation Trident.

Everyone gets the same crack of the whip, but not everyone uses the opportunities that they are presented with.If "ethnic" kids don't do well in school, address that problem. Don't cut out white people from job opportunities because the "ethnic" groups did so badly at school.

That said, White kids do badly as well and white kids can be poor, who is helping them out?

All this is going to do is piss off the poor white kids who don't have any opportunity, further create ethnic divides and only deepen mistrust.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join