It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Horrified to Discover that Christianity is Not the Only Religion

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by projectvxn

In those days there was a lot more God and a lot less science. That view would not and should not work today.

Why wouldn't it? And why is it considered that science and God cannot co-exist? The only friction doesn't even exist between the two concepts, but by people who's political and religious agendas clash with the truth.

My belief is that God created the universe, loves it's creation, and that science is the method by which we understand how it created all that is.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by habitforming

I just dont understand why you keep refering to Christianity when I am referring to God.

You were talking about two events run by the church. I do not even see god in the post.

Secondly if you want a history lesson, tell me who was it, by edict, that created the Catholic Church?
And from that point forward how many Popes were political appointees by Rome, by France?
edit on 9-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

If I want a history lesson, I have to google some stuff for you?
I am not sure what your argument is here.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Two events that were initiated by a politically created entity known as the Catholic Church.

And I don't require you to google anything for me. The history lesson is for you. I've done my research.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

No I didnt stop reading after the first sentence. I qualified what I said by the inclusion of "All women"
Not just the plantation owners wife but the lady who sweeps the floors too.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

I can't change the circumstances of history. I can only recite what is known to have happened.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Did someone ask you to.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

You seem to be of the mind that what took place in the mid 1700s was inconsequential. That because it wasn't ALL women that it doesn't count. When, in fact, women's suffrage would have happened a lot sooner were it not for the political machinations of anti-federalists who saw their political clout being quashed by an ever growing female voting bloc.

You discount this, it seems, as unimportant and irrelevant. Whereas I see it as a very important keystone in our ever evolving struggle for liberty and equality.

It seems as though you are asking, without asking, that I ignore this important bit of history and replace my view with yours.
edit on 9-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Two events that were initiated by a politically created entity known as the Catholic Church.

That is funny because that is what I said that had you arguing with me.

And I don't require you to google anything for me. The history lesson is for you. I've done my research.

OK I have no idea what you are arguing.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The difference is that I blame government for corrupting faith where most, and from my estimation that includes you, believe that faith corrupts government.

And in the second point I am asking you to look up church history so that yoy can clearly see that it is, in fact, government that abuses religion and not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

The difference is that I blame government for corrupting faith where most, and from my estimation that includes you, believe that faith corrupts government.

And in the second point I am asking you to look up church history so that yoy can clearly see that it is, in fact, government that abuses religion and not the other way around.

So it was the church's fault but
it was not the church's fault.

OK.

You should follow along better. I never said that faith corrupts government. You are the one all set on the blaming one for the foibles of the other. I see no problem finding corruption in both.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

i think hes saying that organized religions are inherently political because its the politics (manipulation of people) that are the root cause of the religions becoming organized rather than based on individual philosophy
edit on 10-7-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

Go back and read the entire exchange and see if you can explain that to me. Then see if you still think he is saying the same thing because in context of the full conversation, I have no idea what he is saying.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Why do Republicans and religion always make for a horrible mix? Case in point, here's super patriot and common man, Joe the Plumber explaining why religion is better than science:

readingisforsnobs.blogspot.com...

These people shouldn't be anywhere near any positions that give them power to effect the lives of people.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by megax5000

That was awesome. Sweet theory.

CJ

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
were the founding fathers even christain? if i'm not mistaken very few of them were. oh yeh thats louisiana for you- ilove it here

Actually a lot of them were Christian. But to say, as some evangelicals like to believe, that they intended the nation to be strictly Christian is to ignore the liberty of worship these men and women worked toward.

Only two were Christian. Most of them were Dietist.

I dont know...they may not have known what a Dietist was.

N

None of our tax dollars should be going to any private school but if money goes to one religion then it should go to all of them.

Yeah, even the elitist Dietist. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

We could probably find more to help beyond this via other sources, but I'd say it's sufficient...

I actually support funding for teaching the fundamentals of America's Founding Fathers' religion, which is Christianity, in public schools or private schools. I liked the idea of giving parents the option of sending their children to a public school or a Christian school...

We need to insure that it does not open the door to fund radical Islam schools. There are a thousand Muslim schools that have sprung up recently. I do not support using public funds for teaching Islam anywhere here in Louisiana.

Was there a list of included religions somewhere? Why would she think Islam wasn't included otherwise, unless she thought that christianity was the only covered religion as implied by the article.

It SEEMS pretty straightforward, at least...I have no doubt she assumed this only pertained to christianity.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

In those days there was a lot more God and a lot less science. That view would not and should not work today.

Why wouldn't it? And why is it considered that science and God cannot co-exist? The only friction doesn't even exist between the two concepts, but by people who's political and religious agendas clash with the truth.

My belief is that God created the universe, loves it's creation, and that science is the method by which we understand how it created all that is.

I can very much agree with that description

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

But disagree with this description. Anytime a religion becomes "organized", corruption automatically arises whether there's a government involved or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join