It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Horrified to Discover that Christianity is Not the Only Religion

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Vouchers should not be going to either Christian or Islamic schools, but then again that is what state funds should be doing,but nope the Federal Church of government gives your taxpayer money as well.

I agree with you on this point neo96. The rest is up for speculation and could be considered subjective.

CJ

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Messed that up property taxes are suppose to go to fund schools meaning local issues, and federal funds should not be going to either one.

Public schools, not private.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by ohioriver

Are you serious? You believe there should be one and only one religion here in the USA? Wow.

CJ

Where did you see that in my post? HAHAHAHAHA. Troll much?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver

Are you serious? You believe there should be one and only one religion here in the USA? Wow.

CJ

In my opinion these people are barbaric. If you immigrate to America, throw away your old culture and assimilate into ours. If your country was so great then go back there.

What is the culture you are speaking of? To what religion is the US held to again? And please don't say anything about trolling. You clearly have no clue as to what it means. Go back to your xenophobic cabin now.

CJ

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I live in Missouri and we have plenty of idiots like that here. Many seem to think the Bible has some important official place in U.S. law. I'm not kidding. They FOR REAL believe that if the Bible says you can't do something or that something is evil -- it's the last word in the law, something the courts have an obligation to uphold.

What's scary is that these people vote, very enthusiastically, and as you might expect, ALWAYS for the furthest right candidate.

They're what I call fist-pumpers. They're extremely ignorant on practically ALL issues, but they're surrounded by other people like them who are just as pumped up and certain they're right. To the extent they can discuss anything, they talk in regurgitated right-wing slogans: everything is a label, an adjective, an accusation of a covert agenda or an opinion that is stated as (and believed to be) fact.

There is no point in arguing with them. Their eyes glaze over when you hit them with facts, and no matter how many facts you bring up, they just dismiss it as a bunch of BS and it doesn't change their view in the slightest. When they talk to each other about political issues, they don't use facts. Their culture just isn't like that.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

Political correctness? No. I'm far from a subscriber to the notion.

But I do live in a world where generalizations like that are on par with the bigot who hates all Muslims just because a few attacked the US.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
were the founding fathers even christain? if i'm not mistaken very few of them were. oh yeh thats louisiana for you- ilove it here

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
were the founding fathers even christain? if i'm not mistaken very few of them were. oh yeh thats louisiana for you- ilove it here

Actually a lot of them were Christian. But to say, as some evangelicals like to believe, that they intended the nation to be strictly Christian is to ignore the liberty of worship these men and women worked toward. They sought to free themselves from the Government sponsored church(Church of England) that stifled the development of spirituality by dictatorial decree on what a Christian, or any British citizen, should believe.
edit on 6-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Originally posted by biggmoneyme

Actually a lot of them were Christian. But to say, as some evangelicals like to believe, that they intended the nation to be strictly Christian is to ignore the liberty of worship these men and women worked toward.

Only two were Christian. Most of them were Dietist. None of our tax dollars should be going to any private school but if money goes to one religion then it should go to all of them.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Of the roughly 204 Founding Fathers, some of them were Quakers (sorry, right wing conservatives, they believe in not fighting wars), Catholics, Huguenots, Unitarians, Calvinists, Lutherans, Episcopalian/Anglicans (by far the largest group at over 55%), Dutch/German reformists, Methodist, Congregationalist, and Presbyterian. No mention of Baptists or anything else. No mention of Protestant. Ben Franklin was a Deist and did not believe in organized religion. If this woman valued the Founding Fathers then she should value what they stood for:Freedom of Religion, which means Freedom of Religious Choice! Yup, Muslim, Hebrew, Buddhist, Sufi, Zoroasterism...... its a Very Long List!
I say Keep Religion Out Of Schools and teach what you want at home. Our children are scoring very poorly against other nations in Education..... quit spending time on Religion and get back to the basics that can keep us competitive~ Math, Science (real science, please, backed by evidence and proofs), Music, Art, Sports, Social Studies, and so on, but there are too many religions for us to use our schools to teach it! Save that for the parents or Univsersity!

www.adherents.com/gov/Founding_Fathers_Religion.html/

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

Huguenots, Unitarians, Calvinists, Lutherans, Episcopalian/Anglicans, Dutch/German reformists, Methodist, Congregationalist, and Presbyterian are all protestant. The rest you are pretty much spot on about keep up the good work.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Lol people are worried about this going to fund 'radical Islam' being taught in schools? What about the crazy fundies? They are in a lot of ways on the same level as radical muslims...only they are christian so its ok. Is she going to ensure the money isnt going to them? Probably not. Smh....

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

That is incorrect.

None of the notable Founders fit this description. Thomas Paine, in his discourse on “The Study of God,” forcefully asserts that it is “the error of schools” to teach sciences without “reference to the Being who is author of them: for all the principles of science are of Divine origin.” He laments that “the evil that has resulted from the error of the schools in teaching [science without God] has been that of generating in the pupils a species of atheism.” Paine not only believed in God, he believed in a reality beyond the visible world.

In Benjamin Franklin's 1749 plan of education for public schools in Pennsylvania, he insisted that schools teach “the necessity of a public religion . . . and the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern.” Consider also the fact that Franklin proposed a Biblical inscription for the Seal of the United States; that he chose a New Testament verse for the motto of the Philadelphia Hospital; that he was one of the chief voices behind the establishment of a paid chaplain in Congress; and that when in 1787 when Franklin helped found the college which bore his name, it was dedicated as “a nursery of religion and learning” built “on Christ, the Corner-Stone.” Franklin certainly doesn't fit the definition of a deist

Nor does George Washington. He was an open promoter of Christianity. For example, in his speech on May 12, 1779, he claimed that what children needed to learn “above all” was the “religion of Jesus Christ,” and that to learn this would make them “greater and happier than they already are”; on May 2, 1778, he charged his soldiers at Valley Forge that “To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian”; and when he resigned his commission as commander-in-chief of the military on June 8, 1783, he reminded the nation that “without a humble imitation” of “the Divine Author of our blessed religion” we “can never hope to be a happy nation.”

www.wallbuilders.com...

Indeed. That is three. And there are many more.
Per my previous post we agree on at least one point.

Now lets take a look at the definition of Deism:

Deism (i/ˈdiː.ɪzəm/[1][2] or /ˈdeɪ.ɪzəm/) is a religious philosophy which holds that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is the product of a deity. According to deists, god never intervenes in human affairs or suspends the natural laws of the universe.

Then why would they write this in the Declaration of Independence?

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence,

edit on 6-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

sounds to me more like separation of brain and mouth. I am amazed how people can be elected when they appear as stupid as they do.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver

CJ

In my opinion these people are barbaric. If you immigrate to America, throw away your old culture and assimilate into ours. If your country was so great then go back there.

What is the culture you are speaking of? To what religion is the US held to again? And please don't say anything about trolling. You clearly have no clue as to what it means. Go back to your xenophobic cabin now.

CJ

Its the culture that allows women the same rights as men.The US should never have an official religion. Our constitution will not allow Islamic Laws nor Shariah.Women are not second class citizens here. And no where in my original post did I say Christianity should be only religion here.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Christianity fairy tale, Islam fairy tale, blah, blah, blah. # the BOTH of them.

The country needs to start TAXING all of them fairy tale bastard organizations. And ASAP. Get something useful out of them for a change.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

You do realize how many Muslims live in the USA? You also realize that we don't have sharia law here? So, apparently one can be a Muslim and not live under sharia law. If this isn't obvious to you I can't help you. I don't agree with mormanism yet it is pretty prevolent. I also don't like southern baptists. Where are these people going to go?

CJ

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
WTF!

Why don't we make these people take a test before they can enter office?
Like a test about... i don't know. how the government actually works.

We make people take a driving test... truckers take a trucking test.
We should license our politicians... we license lawyers.

I can't believe that lady was elected into office.

RAGE!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

This is another example of our leaders (sic) having no clue about religious freedom and espousing beliefs that their religion is the only one who should benefit from these types of programs.

Ok, fund those radical Islamic schools, when your family gets bombed at a restaurant and killed while having a family night out, you got no one to blame but yourself. Are you really so ignorant as to think their jihad suicide attacks and roadside bombings is just an isolated incident? Do some research on Muhammad and his battle techniques, because thats what you can expect to see more of in the future.
edit on 6-7-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
WTF!

Why don't we make these people take a test before they can enter office?
Like a test about... i don't know. how the government actually works.

We make people take a driving test... truckers take a trucking test.
We should license our politicians... we license lawyers.

I can't believe that lady was elected into office.

RAGE!!!!!!!

I like this idea. No I love this idea. License and testing all the way but make it a two part test one on government the other on ethics you get two chances to pass it. If you can't pass it either time the people win.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join