It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Who determined that the Mayan Calendar Ends on December 21, 2012?: (Best Review)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Okay, another... 'before I begin" note. This following story/article is by far the best overview of what has become the "End of the World" craze. I have had some fun with the whole idea/concept myself and have gotten into some interesting debates as to:

What exactly did the Mayan's consider the World to be? Just their little kingdom in the jungles of the Americas or did they mean something other-like the complete globe? If they meant the complete globe-how did they know about China area (for example). Did they converse with the peoples of the world? I could go on. But...

Please check out the complete article to get the best info.... and you can join me in Prepping for something far worse than the Mayan End of World. For you new folks and vistors... This may not be what you were hoping for if you wanted info to support your own beliefs of the Mayan concept but... at least you have the best knowledge overall to make the best decision(s). Enjoy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where did the “Long Count” End Date really come from?

Who would deny that there is a LOT of conflicting and confusing information regarding the end of the Mayan Calendar? Complex, complicated and convoluted is the only way to describe the overwhelming number of narratives surrounding the date December 21, 2012. How do we decide which of these different stories is close to the real narrative as predicted by many of the world’s scriptures, sacred calendars and ancient prophesies?

There is only one context in which to properly evaluate the Mayan Calendar Long Count and its many weighty implications and far-reaching ramifications for humankind. And that is the Macrocosmic Context. In order to properly understand the macrocosmic context, there must be some acknowledgement about the relationship between different schools of cosmology, ancient calendars and spiritual traditions. The following set of equations illustrates the true relationship between some of the major pieces of the End-Time puzzle. End of the Mayan Calendar = Closing of the Iron Age = Twilight of the Kali Yuga = Grand Finale of the Book of Revelation = Appearance of the Blue Star Kachina = Omega Point = Ending of the Current World Order

The Sun Ushers In A New Era With Current Solar Maximum
(Very long but interesting)
HUGE Changes Coming To Planet Earth
(Yadda yadda Yadda-IMO)

Which brings us to the central question of this essay: “Who First Said The Mayan Calendar Ends On December 21, 2012?”: The Answer: No one did. Certainly the Mayans didn’t. Nor did the Aztecs, the Hopi nor the Navaho.

Many 2012 prophets have emerged over the past forty years but only one has been given credit for actually pinpointing the day of December 21, 2012. Throughout the process of identifying “the end of time”, Terence McKenna was not able to make a direct linkage with the Mayan Calendar because there were no authoritative accounts pointing to a terminus in 2012. Because there was no such date identified at the time of his analysis, making a direct correlation of his Time Wave Theory to 12/21/12 was not possible … unless it was given to him by someone?

“… originally McKenna had chosen the end of the calendar by looking for a very novel event in recent history, and using this as the beginning of his final 67.29 year cycle. The event he chose was the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, which gave an end-date in mid-November of 2012, but when he discovered the proximity of this date to the end of the current 13-baktun cycle of the Maya calendar, he adjusted the end date to match!”

Source: cosmicconvergence.org...

So, when you are done with the article and knawing on it for a bit... get back to me/us and let it be known what you have arrived at... please.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Are you referring to the article in your source?

Oh I see...

What are we preparing for friend

edit on 6-7-2012 by NotApplicable because: mistake

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm preparing for 12/21/2012 to come and go so we can put this nonsense to bed.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

McKenna actually calculated a supposed end date to his Time Wave that was originally at a different time than the ubiquitous 12/21/2012.
It was only after he read the supposedly postulated end date of 12/21/2012 made by Jose Arguelles that McKenna decided to alter his original ending date to correspond to Arguelles' prediction.

The entire thing has become convoluted.

If one was to actually study McKenna's Time Wave theory then it becomes clear that McKenna believed NOT in the end of the world, but in an end to tradition.
He saw this point in time as a point of great change, which is essentially the exact same type of prediction embraced by the finale of the long count calender.
Baktun 13 ends and then the entire calender rotates into a new beginning.

We all will supposedly embrace the greatest change.

Due to the preponderance of internet snake oil salesman like Alex Jones and David Icke and the many deluded members of the many cults of Abraham, a prevalence of fear has everybody up in arms that the END OF THE WORLD is happening!!
This is not the case, and I would argue that we very much could see some type of historical event that is without parallel some time in the next year, but it would be a good thing and it would be driven by technology.

A happy man sees a happy world.
A sad man sees a sad world, and most especially...

A paranoid man thinks that everybody is out to get him.

Because we are.
Paranoid people suck.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jtap66

The "End of the World" part is the nonsense, you should know that just because we don't think the world will end, there are a ton of people who do that will freak out and come to that very conclusion should anything like power and communications be knocked out for longer than a few days.
edit on 6-7-2012 by NotApplicable because: grammar

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NotApplicable

It's all nonsense.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jtap66

Hahaha, well if you want to get all technical about it...

2nd

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Here's a good article on the Mayan calendar:

Mayan comprehension of time, seasons, and cycles has proven itself to be vast and sophisticated.

The Maya understand 17 different calendars, some of them charting time accurately over a span of more than ten million years. The calendar that has steadily drawn global attention since 1987 is called the Tzolk'in or Cholq'ij.

Devised ages ago and based on the cycle of the Pleiades, it is still held as sacred.

Here is the article:

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

And here are more articles on this specific Mayan calendar:

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by kyviecaldges

I've seen quite the lot from David Icke and he never said the world would end in 2012... He might be way off in some of the things he talks about, but there is also a lot of truth in many of the things he says. Alex Jones serves as a "wake-uper" then you move on from him... He has the anger that some people need in order to understand simple things.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I'm a bit surprised there isn't any Mayan End of World supporters/believers.

Come on now.... Don't be shy.

I guess there has been less support of this theory as the months dwindle down to Zero hour...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Maybe we can get Icke, Alex Jones and the rest of the people making money off the paranoids to hide in a bunker on December 20th, and we can just lock them in.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jtap66

I like your way of thinking.....

Like a Soothsayers/doomsdayer Cage Match....

ATS could host it, on pay-per-view.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Wow. I think you are the only ATS person I have seen who knows the real origin of the 2012 mythology. Argueles made it up, but he never really talked about the 'end of the world' int he modern, linear, destructive Apocalypse christian sense. He meant it in a 'move beyond our limited perceptions' way. Same with McKenna (True Hallucinations is a pretty wild ride) It's that stupid movie that came out a while back called 2012, mixed with people like Alex Jones, as you say, you have changed the meaning to be total Apocalypse.

Regardless, it's a silly, western misinterpretation of a really old calender.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
the Mayan determined it from knowledge given to them

we only recently learnt of galactic cycles

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I hope this thread is still alive, since focus changes so fast in ATS. I am interested in what y'all have to say about the Mayan calendar system and other time-keeping systems, as I have been writing about it for awhile from a sociological point of view. As a sociologist I am curious about:

What change is desired from a paradigm shift or doomsday?

Wherever you are about what happens on 12.21.2012, what change would you want to happen if you had control of the outcome?

I'm not a regular here so if this gets overlooked, I won't be surprised! But if anyone reading this has considered this question, I would like to read what you have to say. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Who cares about the arbitrary date of the Mayan Calendar?

My very real and non-arbitrary Calendar shows that the end is 31 December 2012. And that matches hundreds of millions of calendars from different cultures and civilizations from all around the globe.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Wow. I think you are the only ATS person I have seen who knows the real origin of the 2012 mythology. Argueles made it up, but he never really talked about the 'end of the world' int he modern, linear, destructive Apocalypse christian sense. He meant it in a 'move beyond our limited perceptions' way. Same with McKenna (True Hallucinations is a pretty wild ride) It's that stupid movie that came out a while back called 2012, mixed with people like Alex Jones, as you say, you have changed the meaning to be total Apocalypse.

Regardless, it's a silly, western misinterpretation of a really old calender.

I actually met McKenna after he gave a lecture to a room of about 25 people 14 years ago.
He was a trip.

He was all about his Time Wave theory.
That was the first time that I had heard the whole 2012 hoo-ha.
It infested my head for about 5 or 6 years until I realized that he had basically ripped off Argueles.
I do have a lot of respect for his novelty/convention theory.
True Hallucinations
The Invisible Landscape
And... my favorite Food of the Gods

All great books. He was way ahead of this time. Maybe a tad kooky, but a profound genius none the less.

In my opinion the best that McKenna described the zero point was thus-(my word version of his words)

We are all moving toward a meeting with the great teleological attractor at the end of the universe.
Soon we will reach the zero point at which time novelty finally overcomes tradition and we will become akin to monkeys making the jump to hyperspace.

At this time the great teleological attractor will shrink the universe down to the size of an atom and hand it back to us.
The universe will then become our personal choice.

What will you choose?
edit on 17/7/2012 by kyviecaldges because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I'm a bit surprised there isn't any Mayan End of World supporters/believers.

Come on now.... Don't be shy.

I guess there has been less support of this theory as the months dwindle down to Zero hour...

Now that you mention it, I can't really remember much of of anyone on ATS believing that the world would end on 2012. But I do remember a lot of skeptics that kept talking about the end of the world in 2012, interesting.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
"...hundreds of millions of calendars from different cultures and civilizations.." Are there really that many? I have counted about 34 so far, after years of research. Only a handful agree on a time of year. A few predict the year, but for half of those, the year has passed. The Mayans were clear on projecting dates that they WANTED things to change. We do that ourselves. If there is any kind of calendar that "millions" can claim, it is one that predicts change because change is desired. It's like willing things to happen. We're not as willing to make things happen along the lines the Mayans did, because we won't sacrifice babies for it, and we know we don't have to. The line between the "prophecy" and the reality is blurry, but nevertheless, we do mark the distance eventually.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think they we would do the same thing as we do when our calendars run out.

Get a new one...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join