It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If they abolish the IRS will we still need SSN??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Since you need a ssn to work ........ You need a ssn to make sure they have you as a documented worker so they can take some of your pay... (The IRS)

So if they abolish it, does that mean it will be replaced with a national ID card, or we just won't need any other card... We shouldn't even have these "Card" their just there to keep tabs on us. Makes it harder for us to slip away from the government and just live our lives without government intervention.

I don't know about you but this cheeses me off... Just another reason why i'm a libertarian...

Damn two party system... Governs your ass to make sure your working for them not the other way around.. wake up people jeez.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
it is my understanding, and I may be wrong, that the only time you can ever be legaly required to give your SSN for anything (private orgs. can always request it) is on a tax form or when getting a job.

have to go to work, more later.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
it is my understanding, and I may be wrong, that the only time you can ever be legaly required to give your SSN for anything (private orgs. can always request it) is on a tax form or when getting a job.

have to go to work, more later.

That's my point... You have to give your ssn number when your getting a job???
Why is that.. .Is it because they have to document you to the gov't to let them know they will be getting more money from your paycheck???

How did we get along without ssn before it came into play? didn't carter create the ssn??

And wasn't the point of the ssn to secure people's funds not have it required to get a job?

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Does anyone know when the laws changed regarding when you had to get a SS#? I'm 36 and I got mine when I was about 8 or 9. Most of my friends didn't get one until they were 15 and needed one to get an after school job. Now things are obviously different. After giving birth to my first child I was not allowed to leave the hospital without filling out paperwork for my newborns social security card!

Do newborns need SS numbers so that they can be covered under Insurance? Is it so that it's easier to start an investment account for them? What's the deal? Oh, and why is it that the school system requires a childs SS number be on file in addition to having a copy of the childs birth certificate? If it is a citizenship issue the birth certificate should suffice.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Abolish the IRS???? Yeah that will happen. Might as well ask what will happen to gravity if they abolish the moon.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
How did we get along without ssn before it came into play? didn't carter create the ssn??

Oh dear god no. Social Security has been around since the 1930's.
read more about it:
Social Security Number history

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
After giving birth to my first child I was not allowed to leave the hospital without filling out paperwork for my newborns social security card!

Do newborns need SS numbers so that they can be covered under Insurance? Is it so that it's easier to start an investment account for them? What's the deal? Oh, and why is it that the school system requires a childs SS number be on file in addition to having a copy of the childs birth certificate? If it is a citizenship issue the birth certificate should suffice.

Jemison

Yeah, they tried laying that same crap on me. Well guess what? I didnt get SSNs for my children, and you bet your ass I left the hospital with them. They also tried to tell me I could not name my children whatever I wanted, that they had to have the same last name as me or my wife. Wrong again.
They also said I had to sign the birth certificate, even though I was married to the woman giving birth for years, and I proved them wrong about that, too.

They are so used to people signing whatever they ask for that they think you actually have to sign this crap. Tell them to go to hell, and call a judge if they have such a damn problem. I have even had the state of callifornia tell my wife she had to change her name to mine in order to get a drivers licence.

I hate these people assuming you have to do things just because they willingly agree to be subjected these programs.

The reason you have to use a SSN to get a job is so they can take your money. The SSN is NOT a national I.D. number, a credit I.D. number or anything other than a Social Security tax I.D. number.

NO government agency can deny service if you do not have one, or if you refuse to give it. It is intended for tax reasons only. Also, no state can require you to put it on your drivers licence, and there is case law to prove that.

LL1

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
IRS is under Federal Government, for Federal taxes withheld, but SSN is also used for State withholdings, City and Local tax deductions.
There are three governments with three responsibilities.

Then there is FICA your Social Security deductions that are withheld.
Take a look at your pay stub.
You should be receiving a yearly statement (mailed usually around your birthdate) of the Social Security withheld since you have ever had a job.
Social Security is there for you if you should retire, or be faced with a disabilty.
A Social Security Number identifies you form others, I'm sure the National ID will be doing the same, with more info, of a strip to hold info.

new topics

top topics

join