It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adults, Kids Urged to Skip Flu Shot (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I was just at the doctor's office two days ago. I asked him for a flu shot, and he said, "It's not a good time for that." That confused the heck out of me.

story.news.yahoo.com
DENVER - While officials across the nation are urging healthy adults and schoolchildren to skip their annual flu shot, parents are mulling their options. The news that British regulators have shut down a major flu-shot supplier carries particular concern in Colorado, which was the epicenter of last year's flu season with 12,885 reported cases and the deaths of 12 children.

With 46 million doses now unavailable, the government says the 54 million flu shots left from a rival firm should be reserved for youngsters ages 6-23 months, people 65 or older, anyone living with babies younger than 6 months and others in high-risk groups.

The shutdown of flu vaccine production at Chiron Corp. has slashed supplies across the nation. Public health clinics in Georgia and Pennsylvania will lose nearly a third of their doses. Minnesota canceled flu clinics for state employees and set aside vaccines for those at high risk.

"Worst-case scenario, we will have probably more patients being hospitalized with pneumonia," said Dr. Wellington Liu, medical director of Kateri Medical Residence in New York City, a nursing home with 440 long-term patients.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When I got my health insurance last year, I went to town with vaccinations (flu and pneumonia), as I work in a non-ventilated environment. I was adamant about finally getting a flu shot (I like the stickers they give me, lol). This year, it was as though I was asking for a cancer vaccination. The Doc acted as if it hadn't even been invented yet. Worst case scenario is pneumonia? Oh...that's all???

Dot.

edited for the pneumonia part.

[edit on 7-10-2004 by dotgov101]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I've never gotten a flu shot & never will.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Same here...lol

Best part is I've lived for 20 years, had the flu 0 times, and a flu shot an equally impressive 0 times.

That doesn't seem right to me, but hey, what are you going to do?

IMHO, flu shots are there to scare people. I'm not scared of the flu, nor have I ever had it...maybe the flu is a disease based on fear. That is the only possible explination I can come up with...

It seems that the only people who get the flu, are people who are scared of getting the flu.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Oh, and on top of that, I live in Colorado. What do you make of that?

We had an epidemic last year, and I was walking around like...'sup flu dudes?

Makes me wonder if the flu is even real sometimes...although that's dumb, because my sister has had the flu before, too, so hm....

I don't know. Maybe I have natural immunity.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
At one time I felt the same way about flu shots...never took them. Then, one November, our entire student body was sick with the flu at mid-year exam time. After grading all 240 papers, I found myself sicker than I'd ever been in.
my life and it took me 6 weeks to fully feel right again. After that, I religiously took flu shots and never had another problem
Another thing we consider is that we are outside caregivers for my 97 year old MIL. If we should get the flu and give it to her, it would be curtains for mama. Yesterday, my husband, MIL and I all got flu shots. The doctor rationalized giving us the shots because we were her caregivers.
Personally, I resent people who don't get the flu shot and then come to work sick and infect everyone else that hasn't had the shots. It certainly cause enough misery. Plus,you don't want to be a carrier to an elderly parent who might very well die from the flu. JMHO.
joey

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I just took my 3 1/2 year old twins to the Pediatrician two days ago and the Doctor suggested they get a flu shot. I asked her about the shortage and she said there is not a shortage now so I should go ahead and have it done. I went ahead and let her give them the shots but probably won't make a special trip to have my 4 and 6 year old get them. I kind of feel guilty about having the twins vaccinated knowing that there will be a shortage shortly, but from a selfish standpoint it's easier to deal with only 2 of my children getting the flu than if all 4 of them got it!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm going to nag my husband to go get his shot. I'll check to see if they're available here at the university (hope so!) and if so, I'll get mine here. Otherwise, I'll forego it.

[edit on 7-10-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
My S/O has never had the flu vaccine, but when he gets the flu, he gets it BAD. Personally, I think there will be another slew of "FLU EPIDEMIC CASUALTIES" stories to divert us from either an upcoming skrew-up in Iraq or to give the Pres. candidates time to breathe.

Pun intended.
Dot.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
i come from a very poor family in the hills of georgia usa.i will turn 42 this monday.i cannot ever remember getting any shot or vaccine whatsoever growing up.while in the navy i got shots that made me sick.my point is I think vaccines are poison.I have never been sick my whole life,i think its because the government didnt put their poison in me ,I maybe wrong,I may die today,But this I know,no vaccine = no sickness ,for me anyway,I will never allow a foriegn substance in my body no matter who says its good for me,I am living proof that vaccines are unneccessary.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
My kids are not vaccinated at all. They have never gotten a shot in their lives (and one is almost 4).

They are very healthy kids. I have reservations about not vaccinating the kids, especially since I have been shot up with so much crap from being in the Marines, that I guess I'm biased.

I do not take shots or medicine at all unless I can't help it.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
In the Army they are mandatory. Who knows what the heck in in my body. Between smallpox, anthrax, and God knows what else they say they put in me, I'm like Elvis!

EDIT: After the Army canceled giving Antrax shots, I still had to get mine! Once you start with the set, you can't stop. Why in the hell did they stop again?

[edit on 7-10-2004 by curme]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I never get them either. I hate shots, I hate needles & I only get them when I'm required to for free movement on the planet. I never had any of the so called childhood diseases and I rarely got sick until about 23 years ago I was in the hospital & had a couple bags of blood & I ended up with what they called mononucleosis, ever since I get sick easier and I've never had quite as much strength or conditioning as prior to having blood. I just did what the doctors told me & had I known what I know now I'd had put up with being weak for for a few days with a low blood count rather than having a diseased persons blood introduced into my system. As far as I'm concerned if it aint broke don't fix it.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by outsider]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
To provide a counterpoint, I've had all my shots (except the flu) and haven't suffered any ill effects.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I was just at the doctor's office two days ago. I asked him for a flu shot, and he said, "It's not a good time for that." That confused the heck out of me.

It would have confused me as well, in fact to the point that I would have asked why a gizillion times. I feel that the possibility that microchips might be inserted through various shots is very probable.

Saw this presconfernace (from early 90 �ies I think) with a man that claimed to have been developing the chip in the 80�ies. I believe according to him it was through syringes they inserted them.

Paranoia

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sen5e
I've never gotten a flu shot & never will.

Amen to that. I have had my shots when I was little, man was I mad... Stomped my feet all the way home, my mom had to just about drag me by my arm, I didn't want to go anywhere with her again. I was about 4 or something. Anyways, I remember feeling very different after having my shots, and i came up sick more often than not. I never got my shots again like they said i should. I wouldn't do it. It was a long time ago now of course. Being 19 though, i guess it wasnt that long ago. The last shot I had was a Tetanus (that how you spell it?) shot... since I cut my foot open on rusty steel, I kinda decided any risk would beat what was possible otherwise. I have a good idea... whoever invented shots, needs to be shot
Bad pun, I know, but I couldn't help it
It is healthier to let immunity build up naturally... And schools require immunization.. BUT, you can write up a letter stating you have religious and or moral reasons that you will not have your children vaccinated. Many people think the shots are harmless, if they really arent harmless, you have just condemned your kid to being poisoned with something or another, and he had no say in the matter. Oh well... I am rambling now...

dra

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
All I know is that my health has been 10x better since I stopped getting them (about 5 years ago). It's all a shot in the dark anyway as to whether they chose the right influenza strain to create a vaccine against.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
Oh, and on top of that, I live in Colorado. What do you make of that?

We had an epidemic last year, and I was walking around like...'sup flu dudes?

Makes me wonder if the flu is even real sometimes...although that's dumb, because my sister has had the flu before, too, so hm....

I don't know. Maybe I have natural immunity.

I dont have a printed source for these but I heard from some friends of mine who work for a blakmarket trucker service that the Klu Klux Klan and the Black Panther Party were both giving their own multivitamin and flu shot

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
it's odd but every time I got a flu shot I got the flu, every time I skipped getting a flu shot I did not get the flu. So I don't get flu shots anymore.

I don't know if it's because of a shortage or the realization that flu shots are just making people get sick or what. But it is an odd thing.

(off topic) I miss Colorado, I wanna go back home! (off topic)

top topics

join