It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how will you survive?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
As my uncle has proclaimed many a time before, what will you do when and if there is no electricity, and when the cities are uninhabitable? Some people would be fine, but most people are very reliant on the convieniences of today's world, and think of such a scenario as an impossiblity, however, this could lead to a large amount of people who are incapable of survival when all else fails.

A lot would fall on common sense for starters, like cave = shelter, fire = heat, but is that enough? Perhaps people would just regroup and exchange skills in the name of survival, as they do today for money? Are you capable, what would you do?

Right now, I think getting together with as many people could only increase chances of survival, and exchange of skills for just that. But what if you're on your own? Perhaps practical survival skills should be mandatory in schooling. What do you think?

ps: move this thread if need be, its meant for survival due to any circumstance, be it global warming, climate shift or nuclear war/fallout. thought it might fit here, if not, please move. thanks.

[edit on 7-10-2004 by deaf fences hit]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hmm...I'd like to see how people would do. I'm sure my dad would do fine lol..all he does is hunt, camp and goes fishing.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by deaf fences hit
As my uncle has proclaimed many a time before, what will you do when and if there is no electricity, and when the cities are uninhabitable? Some people would be fine, but most people are very reliant on the convieniences of today's world, and think of such a scenario as an impossiblity, however, this could lead to a large amount of people who are incapable of survival when all else fails.

Well I have to agree with your uncle. In this scenario we would see a lot of people die simply because they were either not prepared or couldn't cope with the situation. As a society, governments don't teach people appocalyptic survival skills because acknowledging that it is a possibility would cause panic amongst the citizens.

So really it's up to the individual to be prepared(which most are not). A good start would be an emergency kit that is always ready in case something happens at short notice. It would contain some basic essentials required for survival stored in a backpack or bag. A small tent that was easy to carry might also be a good idea!

Some the items in the backpack/bag might be,

• 2 refillable cigarette lighters
  • 2 cans butane
  • flint
  • compass
  • Small camping kit(Knife/fork/cooking utensil)
  • 2 changes of clothes(in case you get wet)
  • sleeping bag
  • Nice big sharp knife
  • basic first aid kit
  • torch with 2 spare batteries
  • raincoat

Now that we're on the move where do you go? When the cities are cut off from the power/food/fuel supplies a lot of people are going to turn nasty and start looting and fighting/killing for food. It will be smart to stay away from large groups governed by "Mob Rule". Disease will probably be rampant in the cities due to no running water and decaying bodies. I would suggest a shift to a rural type area as more for safety than any other reason.

Food is going to be really hard to come by so I believe a small group(2-3) to travel with would be advantageous as there will be less mouths to feed. As far as being able to buy anything I think we will revert to a barter system with food as the currency.

How many of us would survive a change in society such as this is anybodies guess but if it happens, I intend to be one of them.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I thought that this thread would spark a alot more responses, maybe there's a post I missed about it already on here. But anyways, Psychoses, you pointed out some things that have given me a new perspective, that perhaps it would be better to survive in smaller groups, family and friends maybe? That way, atleast there will be some form of trust and loyalty present, and love. An emergency pack wouldn't be a bad idea, it couldn't hurt. But back to the main point I was making, survival techniques as a mandatory course. We are taught to depend too much, on the supermarket shelves always being full, on always having clean water, etc. It's all taken for granted. People need to be taught how to survive, no matter how primative/basic it seems. Because one day it might be all you have.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by deaf fences hit]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I have to ask, are you folks city dwellers? I'm from a city but could live easily outside respected norms.
ATS wouldn't be part of that though,that would suck, but you're talking about survival.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I suppose whether I'd survive or not would depend on how quickly what ever the disaster was, fell on us. I have got a tent and camping equipment , gas bottles etc, but they are all up in my attic and not ready for emergency use. If I just had to flee for my life , then I suppose I would be pretty unprepared.
If I had time to plan things then I would probably make my way to Wales where I have some relations, and it's a bit more rural. I should imagine that big cities would be a pretty bad place to be if society broke down.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Well ok, to be more specific, say that there is somewhat sufficient warning. I live in the city, not sure how well I'd do in the wilderness. What I really enjoyed about being with my uncle and his family for a week, was when I went to his home in the middle of absolutely no where, ie; atleast a two hour drive through the woods to the nearest small town. I was amazed at the lifestyle. The two story cabin was built and engineered all on his own. That's plumbing, heating, electricity (solar, which is conserved, wood is their main source of daily energy), it felt just as if it was in the city, but totally secluded... remarkable. Also, it is a farm with crops and cattle etc. This is what got me going on this topic, in a scenario like this, he'd be fine. No contractor did it, it was all him, pretty resourceful eh? And it is skills like these that he passes to his children and grand children, this is what I call a responsible person.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I could live off the Earth without modern things, and it wouldn't really effect me too much. I'm a vegan so it would be easy for me to eat and the like. I'm a good forager and know how to make fire from scratch. I love nature. It would be amusing to me to see others though.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I would just love it if EVERYONE could live like that..no high or low class, lucky or unlucky..everybody in the same position, helping each other!
I think it would be cool, no more money, work, cleaning, shopping...all those insignifiant task we have to do everyday
I live like a princess right now...I'm into the "system" for computers, clothes, beauty...but if everybody could live without, there would be no jealousy, people would just live to survive! Yeah I'd go for it!

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Fences Hit
I was amazed at the lifestyle. The two story cabin was built and engineered all on his own. That's plumbing, heating, electricity (solar, which is conserved, wood is their main source of daily energy), it felt just as if it was in the city, but totally secluded... remarkable. Also, it is a farm with crops and cattle etc

Sounds like your uncle is on the ball and really has a good set-up going. If you have the rescources and time, even without a major disaster this lifestyle can be really rewarding. I am right into self sufficiency and alternate energy production. Solar panels are great and the amount of power you can generate is really only limited to your cash flow. There are excellent wind generators available now that can produce as much power in one windy night as three days of clear sunshine on your panels.(assuming that your not rich and have lots of them!)

The new generation "Sine Wave Inverter" will turn 12/24 volts into (in my case)240volt power that is cleaner than what you get off the grid! Deep cycle battery technology is also advancing rapidly so don't cut corners when purchasing these. Remember, you get what you pay for.

I think a lot of people under estimate how much land is required for self sufficiency. Studies have shown that a family of four(2 adults/2 kids) require roughly 5 to 7 acres of land to be able to sustain themselves, and that is provided the area produces 600mm(1 pint) of rainfall per year.

I have actually turned my backyard into a sort of permaculture experiment and like to grow heritage seeds. ie: older strains of crops that you can't buy in a supermarket. These seeds are not hard to find, just google and you can get them by mail quite cheaply. I guarantee that once you eat one of my "black tomato's" you will never eat a G.M one again. All my neighbours thought I was crazy when I dug up all my lawn to put the beds in, but now as I hand them boxes of organically grown produce over the fence (I always seem to have a surplus) all they do is smile from ear to ear. They just can't get enough of the stuff. The best part about it is it really isn't that much work. Half hour a day and it's done.

Originally posted by Amelia
I would just love it if EVERYONE could live like that..no high or low class, lucky or unlucky..everybody in the same position, helping each other!

Well Amelia, you certainly are an idealist, and I think we all would like that kind of situation. Unfortunately, for every person who is responsible enough to plan and work for their survival there will be hundreds who are either not capable or lazy and will try to take the food/produce for themselves using force. In my mind I can picture myself having to cope with hoards of people trying to take my supplies, not because they are nasty, but simply because they are hungry.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I think I'd be fine....I can improvise easily when necessary, and I adapt when needed. I am a survivor, or I wouldn't of made through my life at all. I live in Kentucky and would probably head to the Kentucky mountains. While I certainly use modern conveniences, I know how to survive without them. I know herbs and herbology, what to eat and what not to eat....etc....

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I reky way too much on electricity. What can I say I was born in the late 80's my mind is electronic. I think though that when your life is on the line you'll do whatever it takes to survive, instincts will set in and the desire to live will take over my mind, I think most could fend for themselves when place in a life or death situation.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I'm lucky I guess. We live in the country so we aren't near anything really bad except for maybe Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, NC, but other than that we pretty secluded.

Also, we've had some severe winter storms in my area the last few years. Power was knocked out for more than 3 weeks 2 years ago. We call this house H&P Bomb Shelter, because my parents pretty much built their house like a fortress. He wants to build a moat around the house. I am totally serious. lol I'll get a pic of the land on here so you guys can see it.

My Dad hates having no electricity so he bought a generator big enough to run a hospital. There are 8 bedrooms here, one for each kid and their families. 4 bathrooms, and 2 kitchens. All the appliances in the kitchen run on gas, and he has a good supply of that. I'm very fortunate. My dad is pretty smart.

I will however be going through ATS withdrawal. So my family will be concerned about me when I start having seizures and going through withdrawal.

Right now this is the best picture I could find. I've got an aerial view of the place which shows where the house is... I'll see if I can find it.

[edit on 9-10-2004 by deeprivergal]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal
I'm lucky I guess.

[edit on 9-10-2004 by deeprivergal]

yes indeed, lucky ? or fortunate, deeprivergal...

I was correct in thinking your pic shows either a Quarry or perhaps a finger lake caused by a remote manmade dam perhaps.
The thing i'm thinking about is if there is a future something that changes your nearby water resource...& perhaps even your present aquifer & water table of your deep well (which i hope you have)

but, if nothing happens to the ample water resource at your location, then you'll most likely have to be vigilent in safeguarding that 'oasis' area ya'll have there from maurading bands of displaced city dwellers (a'la mad max)

it all goes to show ya...just when you think you can relax...BOOM !

the cost of life, liberty, freedom, is non-stop vigilence

have a good day now, peace

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I believe, if it ever came down to it, that most people thrown into a survial circumstance will learn to cope with the new realities. The reality is that some will give up psychologically. When given an event that forces people to give up that which they deem necessary, but is not for live sustaining reasons, the real issue is adaptability to change. At one point in everyone's evolutionary "family tree", we all are products of a sucess story. Some people are closer to that wilderness link than others.

Take for an example the proliferation of reality tv. Now, I personally can't stand the stuff, but it does give a framework into unique social circumstances.

Personally, if need be, I plan to climb back under the rock I awoke from this morning, pull my woobie up, and ride the storm.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Here is my take beyond the whole "food" point of survival.There is no point to have land,supplies and water reserves if you have no protection.A good understanding of basic self defence(with military applications) is paramount.For example, the better your stuff, and situation is, the bigger a target you are.In the "Old Days" say, 1000 years ago, communites were small and built in highly defensive areas(if it wasnt a major city of trade, where location and accesability is paramount).Castles and forts protected entire communitys,that could retreat into the main walls, while the men defended the base.Another thing is guns....bullets for the most part will get used up fast by stupid people, and most city dwellers trying to protect themselves.Gunsmiths, as well as the knowledge to produce gunpowder from base elements will be highly sought after.If guns or ammo are not availible, good weapons fighting would take over.Almost all martial artist are trained in basic weapons(pole,knife,sword,archery) as well as millitary personel.Which brings me to another point.....Millitary, ours is huge.I dought they would just die or be non-existent in an event like this.Going to a local Fort(Knox,Brag) in your area would be the most smart thing to do.They are set up for this, and would train people who come into thier protection(furthering thier own stability).Not to mention the fact that the USA has an underground tunnel system at most bases, adding to further security.Maybe not though.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
well i think id be ok,as a child my father would constantly take me and my brother camping/fishing/ hunting etc and bore us to death trying to teach us the skills to survive in the wild-fortunatley most of it sunk in.
Anyone wanting to really get some serious survival knowledge should read the "SAS-Survival Handbook" by lofty wiseman-you would be amazed at what you can eat for sustanance in the wild and the amount of traps and tools you can build from wood and rock!
Ive always lived in the country and only travel into the cities for my buisness,so i think id head somewhere really beautiful and remote like Tazmania or Sao tome and just let everybody else strugle with the mess in the cities.

regards.

p.s. isnt the "MAD MAX" films quite a good link to this?

[edit on 10-10-2004 by optimus fett]

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Its all good and well knowing survival techniques, but...

Resources would be a major problem in a lot of places around the world.

Take the UK for example, keeping warm in the winter. There are just not that many trees anymore. Fires would become a rare thing. Even in vast wooded countries, if everyone is looking for fire wood, the wood supply would not last long.

Also, natural food sources in the UK are not very abundant and are very finite.

I think the only succesful survivors would be those who led a nomadic life, travelling where the weather is good and food more easily collected.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I live in a city, but I think that finding food would not be a problem, in this area there are many small farms and as I live 10Km from the sea, and there are lots of fish and shellfish in this area.

The climate is good, we never temperatures below 0� C.

But I will die as soon as I consumed all my medicines.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
My wife and I are stockpiling some grains / rice / foodstuffs. We're keeping a rotating supply of about 200 gallons of fresh water and of course some defensive items.

We're trying to decide if solar or wind power will work best for us (we don't have a lot of extra cash each month).

But we do keep a solar powered radio / flashlight, may lighters / all weather matches and many other misc items.

Next year we're looking to purchase a remote piece of land and at least start gardening (it's good exercise if nothing else).

Can anyone link me to some good inexpensive wind-powered generators
out there?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join