It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Test Your Basic Quake Watching Skills- And Get A Certificate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
So here's a fun little test that PuterMan linked me to long ago, but am just now getting around to doing. It's a clever online interactive test to assess basic seismology skills, made by natural science faculty members and support staff at California State University, Los Angeles.

It's not all that hard, and the test is just child's play to real seismologists. But it might still humble a few of you- and amuse an even fewer of you.
So go ahead, try it, and see how you do!

There are many ATS members who will likely do well on it, especially if you are one of the quake watching crowd. Most of it should be pretty easy for you.

As for the certificate, while it really means a whole lot of nothing, it was still cool to get one.
At some point in there, after it appears you might get one, it asks you for, and I filled out:

Name: TrueAmerican
Institution: Self Taught
City, State: I blacked this out on this pic, but answered it.

I also omitted another part of the certificate that gives you more detail about actual correct answers. Omitted only because the test appears to be unique to every user- depending on the choices you make in station placement, etc. You'll see what I am talking about once you get in there. A few of my answers varied just slightly from the actual correct ones (and this mostly had to do with minor measurement differences), but were still close enough to score "correct". So I'm happy to report I nailed this sukka with 100%, first and only pass, no corrections.

Click for big pic

It is (or was?) part of a skills assessment tool for instructors at CSU. But all I got was this link, and so you have to figure out the rest, and all the instructions are there:

www.sciencecourseware.org...

If you take the time to do the test, be sure and take a screen cap of yours and post it! This is not a couple of clicks and you're done kind of test. In a few places you WILL have to think. But not all that hard. Have some fun with it, and you can learn a lot too.

Thanks again PuterMan for that link long ago...Should have taken it sooner...
edit on Fri Jul 6th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Oh come on! Not even one of you has tried this test?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I tried, if you can call it trying, but I realized I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what I'm doing! Kind of makes me want to go back to school. I've been looking for a reason to for years but have had no idea what I wanted to study. The program looks like fun for people who actually know what they're looking at though.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TMG333

Well star for you, at least for trying.

As it turns out, that certificate actually does mean something. I have discovered that it actually writes a special certificate, complete with MD5 checksum, to your system. And during the final phases of the test, it prompts you to list the name of the instructor, so that you can be credited with passing it. When I declined (because obviously I had no instructor), it even further warned me against proceeding without listing the instructor.

I am trying to find an online course for seismology, from a reputable institution, but having no luck at all.
And I couldn't afford it even if there was one.

top topics

join