Where would you get food and water in an economic collapse???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I've been sort of hearing a lot of stuff and doing a bit of research. Mainly on how exactly does one survive in an economic collapse.

I seriously get the impression that since most people have zero survival skills then how would they live if the economy collapsed. If you had a farm or an acreage you might have a chance as you could grow your own food and try and pull it off. But say like someone like myself who lives in a town or city. Rents an apartment. What do we do?

You might be able to get away with living on 1000 calories per day. I know this as I seen some people that were doing this. Although they lost a lot of weight. So I guess that's not a lot of calories. But still, an apple only has about 50. An egg has 70. Then here's clean drinking water, where would you get that?

So I think in all honesty as sad as it is to say it, most people would die in a total E collapse. There's just no way they'd have the abilities to find food and water. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty resourceful. Like I've done tons of hunting and fishing. I know how to identify wild edible plants. I know a bit more than the average joe as I was lucky to do tons and tons of outdoors stuff. But still I honestly don't know if I could make it if things fell apart.

I think ones best bet for someone who doesn't have there own property is to try and get onto someone elses. Like get some farmer or person to agree to take you on as hired help. But everyone and there dog is gonna be doing that. So most people will just get shot on sight or something. (I'm assuming here). I'm sure there would be some communes that form that accept people as long as there willing to work. But finding them would be probably very difficult.

So to wrap up I honestly don't know what I'd do if the SHTF. I think it's about a 50/50 shot if I could figure out how to make it. So I was putting some thought into that recently.

..........So I thought I'd ask you all what you would do to survive in a total E collapse?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

when I first realized about,I found this site...but there is many survival sites ...ATS search are the best

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Many think that they can always worship at the altar of the Wal-Mart Gods in times of need.

Too bad that this religion will be proven as a false God.

Peace

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I have been giving this a lot of thought myself. Living in an apartment and in town where it will be the worst. My parents have some land out in the country and have offered to let me and my fiance do something out there. I have been toying with this idea in the video below. Would be fine for a single person or a couple imo. Best to have some food and water stocked up before hand and be learning survival skills as well before anything happens.

CX

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Get a Katadyn Water filter....50,000 litres at your disposal. Only a few pence for 5 litre bottles of water in the local supermarket, so i throw one in the trolley each time i go down.

Food would come from my shed....at least for the first couple of months.

CX.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

That assumes that your shed is not raided by either the locals or the govt.

In this scenario the first law that is passed is to criminalize "hoarding" That means that all the people who prepared will be criminals. This is the very first thing the Govt. will do.

Put your food, mixed, into 50 liter plastic containers, sealed with silicone and bury them in your garden or hide them. Take them out/ dig them up as you need them. Don't eat too much, people will notice. Just enough to stay alive.

Out of curiosity, why do Americans like beans so much. There are other alternatives, some actually better. A good mix is essential.

P

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
what you would do to survive in a total E collapse?

short answer, just that, Survive.

How? I'm not entirely sure, but I would make it happen. I'm in the perfect area for water, I have no worries about that.
Food, i'd try and meet some farmers then establish a new farm on some land that's recently deserted if possible.
Or simply setup near a river for some fish and aquatics.
Shelter isn't that big of a deal if you can just setup a decent campsite and have a fire going constantly.

If it's not that bad then i'd just ride it out in the city, but you said total.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Well finding a good spot to hunt would be a good start. Would you really want to be around other people if the SHTF? If so, then raiding your neighbours pantry while they are off looking for more food will have to do...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Startruth144
I have been giving this a lot of thought myself. Living in an apartment and in town where it will be the worst. My parents have some land out in the country and have offered to let me and my fiance do something out there. I have been toying with this idea in the video below. Would be fine for a single person or a couple imo. Best to have some food and water stocked up before hand and be learning survival skills as well before anything happens.

Yes that's a good idea. As long as it's far enough away from people who are randomly wondering around. Another option is a wall tent and stove; or just a fifth wheel trailer, as far as a place to stay. That gives it mobility. Probably way cheaper to just buy some old fifth wheel that someone no longer wants than to buy all the crap you need to build a small cabin. Just cuz there's so many of them out there. That way they got a bit of insultation as well and some modern conveniences. But you'd still need all kinds of stuff. Actually as far as water goes Google this water bottle it's called a "Sawyer water bottle". (link below) They do like apparently 1million gallons of water on one filter. Walmart sells them for cheap I think, but I got one online for like 50 bucks. Not cheap. But still I think it would be tricky to figure it all out. Maybe one is better off just not worrying about all that crap. I don't want to get into all that preper insanity either. But having some general idea of what to do would be a good thing.

www.sawyer.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
same way I do now ... from fishing , my garden , from the jungle ...

have everything I need let the system collapse ... life here will go on as it always has ...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I live on my own property outside of a small town that is located inside a national forest.

I have my own well so water is not an issue. I just pump it out of the ground.

Food is not much of an issue because I have a year supply of dry goods stored and large enough garden to grow all the vegetables we can eat. I also have 6 fruit trees. I have 2 Apple, 2 peach, 1 Fig and a cherry tree.

We have much meat in freezer as I hunt Elk, Deer and squirrel every year along with the chicken, beef & pork I hunt at the grocery store.

If there is an economic collapse I can hunt / poach all the meat we need from the surrounding area and there is also fish & crayfish.

Not to mention snakes, lizards, Prickly pear cactus, Oak trees, pinion Pine trees, wild onions, Wild strawberries and Cattails.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
Well finding a good spot to hunt would be a good start. Would you really want to be around other people if the SHTF? If so, then raiding your neighbours pantry while they are off looking for more food will have to do...

People with that attitude won't last long.

Remember, it's important to waste nothing so after you shoot these kind of people for stealing from you use their bodies for constructive things like baiting bears and other critters into your hunting areas.

So I guess the moral of the story is nobody is all bad and worthless. Even these scumbags have uses after you kill them for stealing from you.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

it takes a loooong time to set up a farm, alot of hard work that needs alot of calories in your belly to be able to do. Best done with a couple people too.. If your ganna wait till after everything goes then its probably ganna be too late because everyone else will be thinking that too..

It takes a while for seeds to start bearing fruit too.. most of the time you gotta truck in alot of stuff to get a farm going, where are you ganna get the seeds?, if your idea of shelter is fire then that just attracts people..

i think you gota think this out a little better.

For me, i'm saving up money to buy some acres, hopefully it'll happen soon. I'm gardening as much as I can at my current locale, and stocking up on stuff like ammo and water filters, basic foods etc.
edit on 6-7-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
me, I would politely take my chickens eggs get water from the natural spring out front or hunt any of the wild game that are right here in my back yard.

the biggest threat to my famlies survival would be from the unprepared masses begging for a handout or looking for the weak to steal from. lots of sleepless nights on watch would be the hardest part.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Food:
Plenty of wild game right in my back yard.
Water:
Spring fed creek (which originates on my property)...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I was thinking about that last night when I saw a raccoon. I bet every living thing would be eaten, within 2 weeks after the shelves were empty and help wasn't coming, and then the people would start on the things that aren't edible like leaves bark and grass.

You have a couple squirrels on almost every block in a city and you have a couple raccoons. Then dogs and cats.
Rats mice people will eat anything when they are starving.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I suggest going ahead and getting out of the city or town...NOW.

At least find a place that will be a destination and refuge in desperate times.

In this economy, there is land that is available and cheap... you just have to do your homework and research.

Then set up a homestead much in the style of your great grand parents. Just take that power and extra resources will not be available. Choose a county where agriculture is king. Why? Where I live... I can call a building a barn and never need a permit, a license, no inspection... nothing. Throw in some solar lights and a generator... and Bam...we are home, sweet home.

That means wood heat to heat and cook with. An out house for what out houses are for.

A simple frame structure...ie log cabin, or build a samll cottage from scrap pallets and packing crates. I just started a 12x12 shed this morning doing as much and all it cost me was a box of nails. Infact, after saving the pallets and crates... I put up the 4 walls and doorways in just a morning and will put on the roof tommorow. Everything is in 4x4 and 4x6 foot lengths...so almost like prefabricated.

Next...water source...we just dug a well and will use a solar powered well pump... that is where we spent the big bucks... but we will have water...even in blackouts. If that goes bad...we always have the lake across the road or the wide creek at the back of the property...always key aspects when looking for property.

As for food...we have built our farm over the last 11 years with the idea of independent living in mind. Even before the conspiracy theories and tyrannical governments... I read Mother Earth News from way back. We have a farm set up on the "Have More" plan so popular with self reliant peoples. We have massive gardens, pigs, hogs, chickens, goats, and a couple of horses. Our sow is pregnant and will bear us a liter of about 8-10 piglets soon.Some of these we will keep and some we will sell.

We are ealso expanding our goat herds... our goal is 50 nannies and a few billys...why 50 nannies? Each nanny has atleast 2-4 kid goats a year. the average gestation period is 5 months. By controlling the breeding.. you can have goats dropping kidds in the spring and again in the fall... this avoids the cold of winter. If just 2 kidds per nanny live...2 out of 4... thats reasonable. Then you have at least 100 goats ready for market each year...at 100 dollars per head on avg... that is 10,000 dollars. Also, many of the goats are dairy goats like Nubians and Toggenburgs...

Got Milk?

The chickens are for eggs and meat...we are considering breeding and hatching... but goats get the emphasis for now.

Food... we have it. Water... all around us and under us...literally.

With all this here... we are targets. that is why our farm sits on a hill surrounded on three sides by swamps and dense forests... the other side is a lake... a very big lake. We are 60 miles from the nearest large regional cities and about 20 miles from the nearest towns. The land all around us is cris-crossed by rivers, streams, rolling hills... pretty good defensive area...another thing to look for when choosing land.

The last and also most important thing when setting up goals of food and water... local relationships. Get to know the locals...get involved. Help with the local Volunteer Fire Department cookout dinner and fundraiser... help with the local church cakewalk... chicken dinner... car wash...whatever. get to know the folks and let them get to know you. Even without the cabin and food stuffs setback... you will get some help and a refuge... those little old ladies that you washed dishes withafter the fundraiser will cook you a good home cooked meal when you have finally escaped the city...

Something to think about.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Many think that they can always worship at the altar of the Wal-Mart Gods in times of need.

Too bad that this religion will be proven as a false God.

Peace

God forbid a total economic collapse. Should it happen, all those folks who think Wally World is never ending, never empty, will be shocked to see them emptied in 24 hours.....How small their Wally World really is without the 24/7 caravan of big rigs resupplying them. Then they will howl and cry foul.

Des

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7
reply to post by r2d246

I was thinking about that last night when I saw a raccoon. I bet every living thing would be eaten, within 2 weeks after the shelves were empty and help wasn't coming, and then the people would start on the things that aren't edible like leaves bark and grass.

You have a couple squirrels on almost every block in a city and you have a couple raccoons. Then dogs and cats.
Rats mice people will eat anything when they are starving.

Ya that's true. Some would resort to canabalizm. I think even if you had a farm or acerage you wouldn't be necessarily safe. All the wanderers would eventually find it and come knocking. You turn them away some will challenge you and eventually someone with a machine gun will take the property, or take what they want off it. So even if you defended it with your own guns, all someone would have to do is spray your property with a machine gun or start a fire somehow and you'd be forced out. It would be a battle for supremacy. Worse than the wild west I'm sure. The person with the gun will make the rules I'm sure.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
I suggest going ahead and getting out of the city or town...NOW.

At least find a place that will be a destination and refuge in desperate times.

In this economy, there is land that is available and cheap... you just have to do your homework and research.

Then set up a homestead much in the style of your great grand parents. Just take that power and extra resources will not be available. Choose a county where agriculture is king. Why? Where I live... I can call a building a barn and never need a permit, a license, no inspection... nothing. Throw in some solar lights and a generator... and Bam...we are home, sweet home.

That means wood heat to heat and cook with. An out house for what out houses are for.

A simple frame structure...ie log cabin, or build a samll cottage from scrap pallets and packing crates. I just started a 12x12 shed this morning doing as much and all it cost me was a box of nails. Infact, after saving the pallets and crates... I put up the 4 walls and doorways in just a morning and will put on the roof tommorow. Everything is in 4x4 and 4x6 foot lengths...so almost like prefabricated.

Next...water source...we just dug a well and will use a solar powered well pump... that is where we spent the big bucks... but we will have water...even in blackouts. If that goes bad...we always have the lake across the road or the wide creek at the back of the property...always key aspects when looking for property.

As for food...we have built our farm over the last 11 years with the idea of independent living in mind. Even before the conspiracy theories and tyrannical governments... I read Mother Earth News from way back. We have a farm set up on the "Have More" plan so popular with self reliant peoples. We have massive gardens, pigs, hogs, chickens, goats, and a couple of horses. Our sow is pregnant and will bear us a liter of about 8-10 piglets soon.Some of these we will keep and some we will sell.

We are ealso expanding our goat herds... our goal is 50 nannies and a few billys...why 50 nannies? Each nanny has atleast 2-4 kid goats a year. the average gestation period is 5 months. By controlling the breeding.. you can have goats dropping kidds in the spring and again in the fall... this avoids the cold of winter. If just 2 kidds per nanny live...2 out of 4... thats reasonable. Then you have at least 100 goats ready for market each year...at 100 dollars per head on avg... that is 10,000 dollars. Also, many of the goats are dairy goats like Nubians and Toggenburgs...

Got Milk?

The chickens are for eggs and meat...we are considering breeding and hatching... but goats get the emphasis for now.

Food... we have it. Water... all around us and under us...literally.

With all this here... we are targets. that is why our farm sits on a hill surrounded on three sides by swamps and dense forests... the other side is a lake... a very big lake. We are 60 miles from the nearest large regional cities and about 20 miles from the nearest towns. The land all around us is cris-crossed by rivers, streams, rolling hills... pretty good defensive area...another thing to look for when choosing land.

The last and also most important thing when setting up goals of food and water... local relationships. Get to know the locals...get involved. Help with the local Volunteer Fire Department cookout dinner and fundraiser... help with the local church cakewalk... chicken dinner... car wash...whatever. get to know the folks and let them get to know you. Even without the cabin and food stuffs setback... you will get some help and a refuge... those little old ladies that you washed dishes withafter the fundraiser will cook you a good home cooked meal when you have finally escaped the city...

Something to think about.

People wondering around alone or in groups would eventually find it. Then when they do they'll challenge you for it all. You can't defend against ongoing attacks. It just wouldn't work long term I doubt. Too exposed.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join