It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS front page ?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Im on a tablet, and it looks great.

Still, I doubt I will use it much, but IMO the concept is a great step forward. All of your top rated conspiracy dirt on a single page without all the clutter.

Thats how it appears for me. I like the colors, too.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
everytime any forum goes to a new design loads of people hate it. dont worry guys, you will get used to it lol

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

How about, instead of it sucks, you suggest something that you think is better.

Otherwise, dont let the door hit you on the ass when you leave.

I think everyone IS suggesting something that is better........THE OLD LAYOUT!

I for one, can't stand the new page....It's a confusing and disorganized mess, Not to mention it simply looks ugly.

I'm not against change by any means....A new layout might be nice every now and then....but theres a difference between 'change' and 'disaster'. This new layout is just a disaster....It's design looks amateurish and repulsive. If I was a new user I'm quite certain I'd probably not be that tempted to join if that page was the first thing I saw.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Personally, I find the first incarnation of this interesting. While I think the old homepage looked more professional, I think as this one evolves, it's going to look just as professional, and be usable across platforms at the same time.

Touchscreen users, Windows 8 users, and mobile device users are all going to appreciate it greatly. I like where your headed with this SO. I'm looking forward to the next phase.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Thats all fine and dandy. My point was, there is a more constructive way of doing it than popping in with an " hey it sucks! Change it back.".

If you cant understand my amusement at people complaining about too much text while patronizing a text based forum I guess you just arent going to get it.

Change is good. Dont fight it, embrace it

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Things ilike about it:

Its new and means you guys are actually open to 'modernizing' the site.

What i don't like about it:

It doesn't look quite right. I see the metro type look your going for but its looks unfinished and well sloppy.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I know this is a drastic change, and very unlike what people anticipate from a "discussion board."

-however-

We (ATS) need to remain mindful of contemporary trends in digital content design. Especially since a growing segment of users are consuming digital content on a variety of screen sizes. Even though ATS is not currently optimized for mobile (though we're not bad) about 17% of all access is from smart phones and tablets.

And, as most who have been around awhile know, our design changes are evolutionary. We don't just launch something and say it's finished... I watch the metrics to determine if a design/structure is working well for the majority of users, not just the vocal minority who complain.

And so far, the numbers are encouraging. More people are scrolling and clicking on more threads than with the previous design -- which had become dated by contemporary sensibilities.

What BS the mobile site been out of date since it was launched and you guys know about that, yet for what ever reason it gets completely ignored. Even though 17% of users access through mobile platforms. Im sure there are ways you can make it look nice and cram it full of ads for the $$$

PS not enough pictures
lol
edit on 6-7-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-7-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I only hit recent posts because it helps with my trolling but I still want to put in my 2 cents. I like the IDEA, but the execution leaves something to be desired. I know that it's a work in progress and have great faith in the right changes being made though. I think what I find off putting are the colors and that the blocks don't seem quite right. I'd almost prefer a more Drudge like look but I'm weird. I am excited that ATS may start fitting on the cell phone a bit better. It already looked pretty darn good on my tablet.

The boys at the top do a good job keeping the site relevant and growing it, and I'm sure this will wind up being a positive. I also find that skeptic has a good eye even if he does use a Mac.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

How about, instead of it sucks, you suggest something that you think is better.

Otherwise, dont let the door hit you on the ass when you leave.

I think everyone IS suggesting something that is better........THE OLD LAYOUT!

I for one, can't stand the new page....It's a confusing and disorganized mess, Not to mention it simply looks ugly.

I'm not against change by any means....A new layout might be nice every now and then....but theres a difference between 'change' and 'disaster'. This new layout is just a disaster....It's design looks amateurish and repulsive. If I was a new user I'm quite certain I'd probably not be that tempted to join if that page was the first thing I saw.

Star************************
Not attractive at all, confusing to what the good threads are, no top story and really large fonts are unnecessary .

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I like it! It is easier to use on my iPad.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I can respect the move in the responsive direction, especially for a site like ATS. However, a little padding goes a long way. Increase the padding on each post to like 20px around the title and excerpts and it will simply be easier on the eyes to read in large resolutions since there are so many items displayed.

Also, more line spacing on the headlines wouldn't hurt.

Then just use the forum category icons as the images for each post so they are labeled easier.

At least, that's my 2 cents

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I hate it, it sux.

It's so.... crowded.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Originally posted by Romekje
reply to post by Ben81

I hate it, it sux.

It's so.... crowded.

See what I mean?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Kind of just noticed the site isn't actually responsive, it just uses Masonry..... The entire site is using a fixed width so it doesn't expand or shrink on a browser resize. My droid shows the same fixed layout as well, but I dont have an iPad/phone... so I may be missing something here.

If you guys are sticking with a fixed width than I really don't see the point behind this change.. Masonry is more or less made to be responsive.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I use my iPod touch quite a bit, and to me a wall of text is a wall of text. I'm looking at it right now and it is still an overwhelming mass of uncategorized topics. I like samureyed's suggestions.

Is 17% mobile traffic enough to justify changing the front page to cater to that niche segment of viewers? That's 83% of people who still use it in a traditional desktop/laptop environment that will have to look at a front page optimized for mobile viewing. If it could be optimized for both, that would be awesome, and I think samureyed's suggestions would go a long way in accomplishing that.

I question whether the use of mobile devices is a trend or a fad. Obviously -viewing- on our devices is a trend, but are we actually participating on them? If I'm going to reply to a thread, chances are it's going to be at a computer because I'll have the time to seriously sit down and think about the subject, and physically type something out as apposed to trying to punch out multiple paragraphs on a touchscreen device. No amount of design changes will make it easier for me to actually participate using a mobile device. I guess it just depends on what the staff is going for, viewing or participation.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
Kind of just noticed the site isn't actually responsive, it just uses Masonry..... The entire site is using a fixed width so it doesn't expand or shrink on a browser resize. My droid shows the same fixed layout as well, but I dont have an iPad/phone... so I may be missing something here.

If you guys are sticking with a fixed width than I really don't see the point behind this change.. Masonry is more or less made to be responsive.

ATS use Masonry ?

saying this on a conspiracy site will get you in trouble

and why do you use a M not m

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
terrible...

but then again, most changes seem terrible until I get used to them, then I wonder how I ever liked the older version...

hopefully this is the same situation, but can say I imagine ever liking the font in such big bold block lettering... well, I'll see... at least we can see that the administrators and owners do care about keeping things moving...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Because thats how Skeptic referenced it in his post I guess... didn't want to confuse others

He also mentioned it was the first step, so to answer my own question I assume they are making it responsive but haven't gotten that far yet.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I don't like the Windows 8 Metro look on the homepage..
please switch back.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I for one am glad to see an explanation for the change.

I can say though that I am not really a fan of the new look. But my two cents are only worth .00002, so it really does not matter what I think.

If it helps ATS bring in new Bernard Schnitzel's, then I am all for it.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed
reply to post by Ben81

Because thats how Skeptic referenced it in his post I guess... didn't want to confuse others

He also mentioned it was the first step, so to answer my own question I assume they are making it responsive but haven't gotten that far yet.

I knew my eyes caught something

but you must be joking right ?

its not like the front page ressemble a chess board masson walk way

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join