It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS front page ?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I can see the logic behind the new front page, but I think change is difficult. This is the reason most dislike it, but will probably get used to it over time. That being said, it looks like you are trying to dial it in. The screen realestate is being used more for ATS threads and there is none for "videos" like there used to be.

It seems that visionaries have placed their bets on mobile tech taking over, because this reminds me of the metro UI in windows 8. ATS is evolving...
edit on 7-7-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I like the new page.

Visual stimuli is a good thing.

Keep up the good work ATS staff

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It's funny, I remember when the previous home page was "new", the reaction was the same. I am confident I could go back to the thread on that "new" homepage and find some of the same members who are longing for its return now, howling about how atrocious it was then.

It's change and most people hate change (why I don't know without it we would still be walking around with clubs hoping we find dinner), we get that, the reality is if we don't evolve AHEAD of the curve we will be left behind, we're not followers, never have been.

No matter how distressing this is for you now, I can assure you it will evolve, via the Overlord's genius, into the homepage you've dreamed of your whole life but just didn't know it. Have some patience.

Springer...

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I like the new design! I might be biased as I work of a smaller screen and previously it could be quite hard for me to navigate / read some of it.

I'll sit in the "Aye, I like it" corner

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

At least i don't resort to GLP-like pic-posts.

Why type when a picture can say a thousand words?

Kind of like this one:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I'm entitled to my own opinion and interpetation.. ain't i?.

You assumed the new site home was launched to appease advertisers. What do your between-the-lines mind reading super powers tell you about the fact there are now far fewer ads on the site home after the redesign?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Hey,

Just chiming in again after day, what?, 3 of the new homepage.

I love it more everytime I logon.

It is a total go and is beginning to acheive aesthetic 'tightness' . If anyone is interested I am looking at us on Firefox running on KDE running on Arch. Looks really lush. Very nice color selections for the tiles.

SO...

The "Metro Design Language" has been around a while, long before Windows 8. Microsoft bastardized the "way sign" metaphor for design, which has been seen in Swedish and northern Europe print and broadcast design since the late 1980's. Don't hate the concept just because Microsoft did it wrong.

That explained a lot and provided a good thread to pull on. The Metro Design Language is really interesting. I had a machine with Windows Media Center running on it and the WMC software seemed to use some of those concepts. I think I can see the same concept for organization in early Sun Microsystems workstation desktop design too.

Anyway, yeah, IMO you are doing it the best right now. It warms the place up and makes it way more engaging.

X.

I have to add more after just going back for another look. Keep going.

It's so damned much better. It's like you guys have removed 50lbs of some crypto-cheese that if we had the language to describe we would have asked you to remove anyway.

It classes the place up, I guess I am trying to say. Damn strong work.

X again.
edit on 7-7-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Only says 7

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Fewer ads so the handheld slow internet doesn't have trouble loading the ads.

The adware server is terribly slow so..

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

So, you are provided with a free-to-use website and you complain that they wish to display some ads to pay for it?
[snip]
edit on 7-7-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Fewer ads so the handheld slow internet doesn't have trouble loading the ads.

The adware server is terribly slow so..

Actually considering the majority of users are now on 4G HSPA networks or LTE Networks the internet speeds on mobile devices are fastly becoming on par with standard plug in internet.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thought: When viewing the forum index page, sub forums are grouped and categorized into specific colors.

Conspiracy forums have a red accent around them, political are blue, current events are yellow, green, black, light blue, and so on.

Why not carry that color theme into the new front page so that the colors have an order to them, rather than a randomness in it which leads to the "vying for attention", "is very distracting" effect that members are experiencing currently?

I understand those color accents in the forum index may be too bright on the front page as they are now and may need to be toned down a little to blend in well... However this change would better compliment the long standing forum index format and help members in identifying what threads belong to what forums at a glance.

Currently, the colors have to be ignored because they are random and make no sense other than helping to split up each thread.

Something to consider, take care.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
I think its rad! Boxed info, no BS, and its easy on the eyes.

Compliments. IMO its a vast improvement.

Don't listen to the people scared of change.

took the very words outta my mouth, I'm one of the few that ever hit the front page since I have ATS saved to recent posts...but, at first glance, I WIKE it !

Thx
)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Romekje

So, you are provided with a free-to-use website and you complain that they wish to display some ads to pay for it?
[snip]
edit on 7-7-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

Why are you so quick to agree with the owners? No matter what... Hmmm

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Hey SO, you might have missed my question! Just trying again!

If the lean/drive is towards marketing for tablet users, you realise that typing on those things is slow and clunky. So, your new target audience will be nothing more than readers rather than contributers. I think that's a step away from producing content purely to make more coin from advertisers. Can we not have the standard old page, with a button at the top for Tablet/Phone users that launches this interface for them??? Please???? I'll writen Vogon poetry just for you!

(In my grumpiness at change, I may have made a snarky comment about revenue... Perhaps that was in haste, but you would at least need to keep the same income rolling in, so are you now saying that LESS advertising is need because it is being clicked on more because of this design?)

I disliked the the scheme at first, and it still is tricky for my eyes to settle, but saying that...
Over the last few days since I asked those questions....

1. It was a readers nightmare
2. On one reload, the boxes came up with a pure white background, and it was actually heaps easier for me to read! (Must have been an update or something, but the lighter background somewhat eased my discomfort, food for thought?) But, I still wasn't keen design wise...
3. Have you rounded the box corners a bit now??? Is it Stokholm taking effect? Don't get me wrong, I'm still not keen on it... kind of like a cousin wearing a nice dress, still awful, but worth a look-see... Must be the corners....

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
New homepage looks great on the iPad.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Ats homepage is my homepage and I do not like the new set up, it will not discourage me from browsing but when I share a link with my friends I now link it them to the original source and not the Ats link due to the lack of imagery, most people I share with don't really care for much and need something enticing to get them involved, (pretty colors) but as I said I don't like it but it will not discourage me.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

How about, instead of it sucks, you suggest something that you think is better.

Otherwise, dont let the door hit you on the ass when you leave.

Um, the original was better. That was the point he was trying to make.

Why are all you mason types disturbingly creepy about the "afraid of change" nonsense. At least try to hit your mark when you make an accusation like that.

The new design looks like an amateur 3rd party advertisement website. The type where they just throw a bunch of "Click Here Free Coupons" buttons all over the place. The original ATS homepage had soul, this does not.. it just looks.. 2.0 and 2.0 sucks. I get the drive for mobile efficiency, but people don't contribute on mobile as others have suggested. So it's basically appeasing people who are too lazy to do anything but quickly read, and quickly respond with one-liners.
edit on 8-7-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join