It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


I want my maiden name back.

page: 1

log in


posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:32 AM

I've been divorced for 12 years now and I want my maiden name back. I just don't feel like "me" when I say or read my name current name.

Has anyone out there ever successfully changed back to their maiden name years after the divorce? And what did the process entail? I ignorantly did not even think about it as the divorce proceeded. I understand from reading now that this request can be done during the divorce. I didn't care or think about it then. Now I'm feeling the desire to have my old name back. In a very big way.

I live in TX. Everything I've read seems to lead me to the idea I need a lawyer and have to go to court.

Anybody out there with any experience or info?


posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Beldy

I've been divorced for 12 years now and I want my maiden name back. I just don't feel like "me" when I say or read my name current name.

I've always regretted giving up my maiden name. It was unique.

I did not change it back - - but know others who have.

It has to be done through legal process. I don't know if its something you can do online.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:48 AM
reply to post by Beldy

Last I heard, anyone can change their name to anything they want at any time in any state (as long as it's not to avoid prosecution). No lawyer needed. AND it's easy and simple.

Anyway, here's the procedure for Texas:

Name Change Texas (The article specifically mentions Austin)

1. Go to the office of the clerk for the district court of the county where you reside. Present at least two current forms of identification -- a driver's license and social security card, for example. Explain your case and ask for a Petition for a Change of Name. You can change the name on your driver's license and social security card subsequent to petition processing.
2. Fill in the form completely according to instructions. Include your current name, social security number and driver's license information and the reason for your name change. Check the appropriate box and fill in the necessary information regarding criminal convictions or status as a registered sex offender. Sign the document and have it notarized. Continue to the next step if you are a registered sex offender or have been charged with a felony. Skip to step four if you have never been convicted in this manner.
3. Contact the County Sheriff's office and inform administrators of your intent to change your name. Fill out any necessary forms prior to submitting any documentation or completing the name-change process. You must first be pardoned of all felony convictions or have served due time on parole before a name change is approved, according to a judge's discretion. Reach out to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for additional information.
4. Get fingerprinted, if required, at the Texas Department of Public Safety. Fingerprints may be required for citizens interested in changing their name. Fingerprinting helps ensure your petition includes accurate information and you are not attempting to change your identity to hide from crimes or outstanding arrest warrants.
5. Submit your petition and any processing fees to the clerk. Include any supplemental documentation -- a marriage license or divorce decree, for example -- as grounds for the name change. If you are a convicted sex offender, include the necessary documentation indicating that a name change is allowed. Follow up with the clerk seven to 10 days after submitting your petition to confirm that fingerprint records have been received and the name change is confirmed.
6. Contact the Social Security Administration and obtain an Application for a Social Security Card to change your name. Go to your local Texas DPS office to change your name on your driver's license. Provide a copy of your court-approved petition for verification purposes.

edit on 7/6/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:10 AM
I hyphenated mine and it drove my husband nuts for a while. You should not have too much trouble changing it back since it was a married name and you are divorced.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:01 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and thank you Ex_CT2 for the TX info.

I've been thinking about doing this for a while now but I've just been to lazy to do it.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:38 PM
It might depend on the state, but I went through this with my lawyer many years ago. he concluded that all you have to do is just do it. We didn't use a court or anything special. We just changed driver's license, social security, and the like and were only questioned by one officious persn who had no right to do so, whom we blew off.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:44 PM
If your SS card has your maiden name, it's easy peasy. If not. You'll need to change your SS card first. That will require a copy of your birth certificate. Also copies of your original marriage and divorce certificates. After you get the SS card done, you can just start using your maiden name. The next document you will want to change is your drivers license.

This rigimarole came about with the homeland security act.

Good Luck!


edit on 6-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

top topics


log in