It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blah, Blah, Blah...Ya-da, Ya-da, Ya-da!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I never knew that...I have not seen that film...perhaps I should!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Also it's yadda yadda yadda.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I used to deal with people like this thread describes on a daily basis. The worst offender in my life, however, is my stepfather. He's a good person, a good grandfather to my kids, but the guy doesn't know when to quit. He has a lather, rinse, repeat cycle of telling stories. He cycles the same few stories every time I see him, with priority on anything remotely negative that has recently happened to him.

With him, I just smile and nod; usually my kids sidetrack him and he stops the barrage. He makes people feel helpless in conversation, looking for escape routes like mad. People like him, I have no advice for dealing with other than "smile and nod".

The common theme I see among posts in this thread, are people at work. I do have good advice for dealing with them.

Find out what it is that the person truly likes. Not just the boring things they talk about; I mean underlying lifelong ambitions, anything that actually has potential as a point of future conversation. Whatever the subject of interest is, research it a bit. Even a single night of learning about the subject is enough to have a decent conversation.

When you see the person, and they fall into the habit of talking about the same boring things, strike up a conversation about what it is that you researched. In time you may find that you actually enjoy talking to the person; many times it's subject matter that defeats our attention spans.

I'm an introvert, so I avoid dealing with people as much as possible. When I deal with new people, I try to learn as much as I can about the things they like. This way when conversation does arise I'm prepared. Too many times I've walked away from a conversation feeling like the boring one. The bonus of my work at bettering myself, is that it has made my interactions with people a lot less boring.

This technique does work with people like my stepfather, but only to a point. Some people just drone on and on and repeat themselves many times, or take control of the flow of conversation. Smiling and nodding are a good backup plan for those people, and maybe a quiet room to decompress afterwards (or perhaps just to scream obscenities for a while).

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreamer99

I like your suggestion of really listening to people and finding out what some of their passions in life are...doing some research...and then when they start up with the same old boring subjects of conversation....politely change the subject and start talking about one of the things in life they are passionate about.

I have people in my life like your stepfather. I really care about them...but over, and over, and over again the same old stores and information...repeated...sometimes it is really exhausting listening to them. I also smile and nod....blahhhhhhhhhh.....

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by Beldy

When you are at work and around annoying people...it can at times be VERY difficult...because you can't get away from them (sometimes) when you really want to. At various jobs I have had where there are difficult people; what has always kept me going is the thought...well at least I am getting paid for this!

Yes! You just cannot get away from it. My ears are thankful that my job is shift work therefore Miss Cackle and I don't work together every day. And that includes Mr. Walmart too. I also forgot to mention if he runs out of original words and stuff about him; he likes to read you the internet. Oh and one other thing; he brings some type of fish product for his dinner sometimes. I don't think I need to explain that one. UGH

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Beldy

So...Mr. Walmart likes to read to you the internet...he just assumes you will be interested...and all that strong smelling fish to go with all that reading. How you must so enjoy it....not!...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital
reply to post by caladonea

Not to be creepy or anything but if thats you in the avatar than your really pretty.

No...that is not me in my avatar...I choose the photo from an avatar website...because the photo looks very close to what I looked like when I was younger.

I am wondering do you have anything to say about people that drive you up the wall and you don't want to listen to?

No not not really, i am by nature a very quiet and reserved person, but if someone does talk to me when I don't feel like it I will normally just phase out and nod my head, or make it look like I am busy so they will leave me alone.

Take care.

CK

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

Consider how it makes you feel when someone you try to speak to doesn't give you even a momentary glance. It's not a great feeling. I used to do the same thing to people. I felt too awkward, and would tell myself it's better to just be left alone.

Problem is, you don't make friends that way. People talk to each other, and before you know it you're painted as anti-social, with all the negative connotations implied. As much as it may seem painful to just acknowledge these people, it's more painful opening your eyes to the fact that no one genuinely cares about you.

I've been down that road. As cliche as it may sound, you won't find happiness that way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join