It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Van Jones: "We all know college is expensive. But did you know it was this expensive?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Why College Is Becoming A Distant Dream For Most Young Americans

The costs of higher education are skyrocketing making it harder and harder for young adults to get quality education in this country. We are already falling behind the rest of the world in education and subjects like math, science, and reading.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Now you can get a degree without employment for only 250k, not bad if you like school, but remember not everyone can make it through college, It's really expensive if you can't make the grade and fail to earn your degree, you still have to pay regardless of your future earning potential!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
It's time to rethink about how one can get a college education.
This is a new world and the traditional way of attending class is becoming antiquated because more and more people are doing the online thing.

It happened to the US post office so was only just a matter of time before the academia got the same rude awakening.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm getting an associates in Electronic Engineering through correspondence and internet from a technical college that has been accredited and in business for going on 80 years. Once completed it will have cost about 5K and I based on the course outline, it looks like I will actually have covered plenty of material that is involved in some school's bachelors programs.

Unfortunately education is the best way to ensure we become a 2 class society.
When I talk to many foreigners, such as some of my friends in Muslim countries, they describe their countries as being 2 class societies. By their standards, blue class citizens are poor even at the highest levels. Anyone that is white collar class has nothing to worry about even if they never go to college or get a job. The USA isn't far off from this at all!
About 10 years ago, I noticed even the poorest kids in town living in the slimy trailer park had big screen tv's, 4 wheelers, Xbox/Playstation et cetera. Most material goods are really just novelties when it comes to living a full life.

Until we chase politicians and corporations out of our education system, out of our food and out of our financial system, things will continue to steadily get worse. The average starting salary for my degree is 63K a year, average salary ranges between 86K to 120K however, I suspect even with the electronics field having an endless demand for employees, many of the jobs this type of degree will get you do not pay 63K.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
America fell behind the world because of Affirmative Action programs like letting the Kenyan get educated for free at US Tax payer expense.

America handed idiots everything for free for decades and now we're reaping the punishment. Affirmative Action killed America.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I recall M. Kaku talking about how most PHDs handed out in the USA nowadays are granted to foreign students because their governments (and ours) subsidize their education. Foreigners are getting a better education than commoners. Pretty backwards if you ask me.

The universities are only in it for the money, they don't give a damn about their country or the future of the people in it who's tax dollars are helping to fund the education of others while not receiving an equivalent education themselves.

I wish I could've afforded to go to college. A real college with real life interaction among students and teachers, not that cheap online stuff. It just seems to me like a scam though due to the improbability of being able to get a proper job and pay it all back within one's lifetime. Yet another aspect of the American dream that has crumbled. We see people going to college on TV as if it's normal and a given, but that couldn't be farther from the truth unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth or got lucky with grants and/or scholarships. Those who take loans will probably be paying them off for the rest of their life while working minimum wage jobs.

I've accomplished things that no one else has, yet I couldn't afford a college education and now I'm about to have to start living out of my car, in my 30s. Human society is totally effed. It saddens me that I get to witness and experience the effects of it's fall in my lifetime. All I ever wanted was a family, another thing I can't (in all likelihood) have which previous generations took for granted. No job = no money = no house = no family. Meanwhile the upper class go to the most prestigious colleges and are all but guaranteed financial security.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Technically College isn't suppose to be required to have jobs. Now that College is required you cannot blame kids for not going to college first place. College requirement is a form of takeover. During the 40's+ College wasn't necessary to have a good life. Why do you think we have so much homeless people? It is because of College requirements.
College is supposed to be taken if you want to learn more(you learn too much, there are too many flaw in college).

Most of the Teachers aren't even teaching their own way. All I see was every teacher requires the same information and the same teaching style.

I have done a Wine and Dining Course

They have to remove the most Coffee and Wine teaching. Some Wine are GM and most of the time your not even going to discuss about different types of coffee unless you work in a coffee shop. Why are they doing this? So they can fill up Wine, Tea, Coffee teaching(get rid of the non-GM wine or coffee until it is too late, this takes about 20+ years to do). It is too late for the Coffee and Wine(GM knowledge ones are already being taught with the original ones).

Remember the natural Tea. Oolang(Chinese restaurants), Green, White(great for your health), Black, Jasmine tea, and Earl Grey.

Now you need it for a proper job. Don't you guys find that fishy? It is almost too late for America.. Go to College find a good job wear your suit, etc. College is now taken over by the "Law Abiding Citizens" but you don't know it(it is every where). Want to be a Lawyer? Go to college. Want to be a Cop, go to College(no more Sherlock Holmes). Sherlock Holmes Future = College requirement. Rewrite, redesign and retaught.
edit on 16-7-2012 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Just wait till videogame designers turn their attention to education.

It will happen eventually, and the prices of diplomas will fall like flat screen t.v.'s

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I've been trying to finish school for 10 yrs because of cost and the ability to get funding on my own. Everyone just says on get a loan, well loans are not easy to get and no I don't have a co-signer.

I did get grants and loans (I thought it was a miracle) to attend a school a couple years ago and well let's just say they stole my money. It was a for profit online school. If I knew then what i know now I NEVER would have signed up, EVER! The people who act like they are there to help you are glorified salesmen and will literally call you three times a day. Even after I wasn't going there they still continued to harass me to get me to come back. They didn't care they just wanted my money!

I will now never be able to get aid because of this school. I will have to fight them and well that is like fighting a losing battle or the IRS. They messed up and admitted it yet I'm the one paying the price. I'm so pissed by it because I should be done this year with my degree and on to better things.

College is just another money scam like everything else in this country. It should NOT cost 100k for a degree!

I have signed every and all petitions I can find and even sent letters in reference to the school I went to. Don't EVER go to an Art Institute online. They are horrible and charge fees out the rear and can't even give you a straight answer what the fees are for. I had to pay a 200 lab fee for a lab ON campus I would never have seen since I am in FL and the school is in PA! SCAM SCAM SCAM!

I am trying to think of how to pay for my classes in January at the local community college. It's not that much but when you make about 120 a week it's a lot. I will figure something out!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Alxandro

Just wait till videogame designers turn their attention to education.

It will happen eventually, and the prices of diplomas will fall like flat screen t.v.'s

That is exactly what they want. So we don't get to join NASA or anything to develop Space Technology. It has been happening for years now. Just because a stupid satellite went off the edge of space it really means nothing.

Once College has control of almost every Jobs out there the small ones are going to fall. Everyone who supported College is going to pay the price. It is slowly happening now. The only thing in their way is Military and Government(government doesn't allow College to takeover, college is most likely influenced by corporation). Time to start realizing the true potential of College take over.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 16-7-2012 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

As someone who has worked (and quit) for a for-profit college, here is a tip. Take your gen-ed courses and some of your specific major courses at a community college and then transfer in - most colleges will accept 60-70% of your enitre major being done this way.

CJ

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Where is the Van Jones part. I missed that.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Where is the Van Jones part. I missed that.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Colleges in your area is becoming a distant dream then why don't you try distant college which is cost effective for you. Go for some open colleges to get the knowledge as I believe what matter is knowledge not the institution.

Check out uk open college to have your desired training.

Good Luck !

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JonnyDeath

That's cool and definitely cheaper than my BSEE, but can you get a job with it? I would make sure before even spending 5k. I still have 47k of student loans to pay back but all in all I'd say it's worth it. The most I could make before was like 1/5th of what I make now.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

Why don´t US kids just go to university somewhere else? Education in Ivy League comparable universities or other very strong universities costs far les, usually up to 2k euros a year(Often even less, for example one of the top universities in the world (13th in ranking) , ETH Zurich have tuition fees of 600 euros a semester , so bachelors degree the costs would be approximately 6k (3600 euros in ETH) + living costs. At the end would be far cheaper than most US universities and the strength of education is same.

I know many people who have went to US university although all of these have been free for people from round here. There are so many scholarships and things, that basically anybody can get it, if they really want. Being a real top student is not requirement. There were several from my class, who had weaker grades than me, approximately B average and still got scholarships to Harvard, MIT, Oxford (UK), Princeton, Stanford. Total of 6 people went to world-class universities.

I guess for Europeans it might be easier to get to top US schools than for local people.

It is rarity for people in this country to take student loans. Even if they take, it is around 2k euros which is not much to pay back.

At least that would be suggestion for many US kids who are smart but not much money to get to college. Just go to European universities (does not matter which country tbh, although would suggest EU countries from Europe), you can get the same education for far lower price. (I do not know about top university tuitions in other continents, the living expenses should be much lower than in Europe though)
edit on 19-6-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

top topics

join