It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind Control Moves Into Battle - Brain-Machine Interface - Control your own Avatar/Surrogate with th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Found a couple of interesting articles today regarding research being done into using thoughts to control your own 'avatar' and using your thoughts to detect threats within your environment... Check it,

BBC
Via BlackListedNews

In Afghanistan, some soldiers are said to possess a sixth sense.

This technology is an attempt to give every soldier a 'sixth sense' by using their own thoughts to detect threats in the immediate area:

These devices exploit what neuroscientists call the P300, a wave of brain activity that signifies an unconscious recognition of a visual object, and is so-named because it occurred about 300 milliseconds after stimulation. The P300 can be thought of as the biological basis of the sixth sense.

The problem is that it may take several seconds for the brain to become conscious of what it’s seen, and in Afghanistan, that brief time can mean the difference between spotting a bomb, and driving over it and setting it off.

But a device known as an electroencephalogram (EEG) can spot that P300 signal. Hooked into a sophisticated computer that can interpret the signal, it can immediately alert a person to a potential threat, taking a short cut through the brain’s normal conscious processing. Combined with advanced optics, it is possible to imagine a Terminator-like vision system that scans an area and immediately identifies and categorises threats.

Hmm.. Sounds pretty interesting.. how does it work?
Well, it is really a pair of special goggles/binoculars - A camera/computer scans a wide range of area and decides on potential threats.. then flashes those pictures infront of the user.. when the computer detects that you have given off the P300 signal, the computer detects that and the user is alerted to focus on that specific image!

These goggles represent more than just another gadget: they could well become the first example of military neuro-enhancement using what is called a brain-machine interface

Of course, there are concerns too,

a group of elite scientists who advise the government on national security issues, warned of the “potential for abuses in carrying out such research, as well as serious concerns about where remediation leaves off and changing natural humanity begins.”

There is another Darpa project that allows is similar and will help analysts sort through complex satellite imagery in the same fashion.
www.darpa.mil...

The rest of the article is really, really interesting and goes on about it this technology could be used to help disabled and 'locked-in people'

Here is the interesting part for ATS,

Such work, however, is also drawing attention now from scientists concerned that such technology could, for example, allow even more novel use of armed drones. “The ability to control a machine directly with the human brain could, for example, provide the potential to remotely operate robots or unmanned vehicles in hostile territory,” said a recent report by the UK Royal Society.

Jonathan Moreno, a professor of bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania and the author of Mind Wars, says what people find troubling is that, like with drones, such technology expands the battlefield, allowing soldiers to fight remotely. “It’s the projection of human intelligence into a device,” says Moreno. “That’s what it’s about.”

Someday.. yeah I think it may be closer than we think, and thats where the second article comes in,

New Scientist
Via StratRisks

Life Imitating Art: Robot avatar body controlled by thought alone

For the first time, a person lying in an fMRI machine has controlled a robot hundreds of kilometers away using thought alone.

.”The ultimate goal is to create a surrogate, like in Avatar, although that’s a long way off yet,” says Abderrahmane Kheddar, director of the joint robotics laboratory at the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology in Tsukuba, Japan.

To attempt this feat, researchers with the international Virtual Embodiment and Robotic Re-embodiment project used fMRI to scan the brain of university student Tirosh Shapira as he imagined moving different parts of his body. He attempted to direct a virtual avatar by thinking of moving his left or right hand or his legs.

The scanner works by measuring changes in blood flow to the brain’s primary motor cortex, and using this the team was able to create an algorithm that could distinguish between each thought of movement (see diagram). The commands were then sent via an internet connection to a small robot at the Béziers Technology Institute in France.

The set-up allowed Shapira to control the robot in near real time with his thoughts, while a camera on the robot’s head allowed him to see from the robot’s perspective. When he thought of moving his left or right hand, the robot moved 30 degrees to the left or right. Imagining moving his legs made the robot walk forward.

Ok, so the preliminary steps into having a thought controlled 'avatar' and the ability to control it in real-time through thought commands! Insane! It is really interesting, however the concerns i have are the safety and the potential for future technology.

The combination of these two types of technology sounds like it really won't before we can be even lazier...
Reminds me of the move 'Surrogates' with Bruce Willis.. definitely reccomend watching it as it is extremely similar to this.. how superficial our society is and the potential for what this technology could turn us into!
Anyone seen this movie??

Thoughts?!
edit on 7/5/2012 by Nspekta because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/5/2012 by Nspekta because: Title

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

There's some law I read, I forget which one that recently passed and was signed that basically says that the government can well, force you to provide services to them if you have abilities or are in a profession that they are in need of. So, I'm thinking, what if you have this sixth sense? Can they hook you up and force you to operate a military robot ? Maybe I should stop talking.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
There's already a thread on this. I won't bother linking it here, but if you use the search engine like you're supposed to, you should be able to find it.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Well, it is really a pair of special goggles/binoculars - A camera/computer scans a wide range of area and decides on potential threats.. then flashes those pictures infront of the user.. when the computer detects that you have given off the P300 signal, the computer detects that and the user is alerted to focus on that specific image!

i have to laugh when i see stuff like this touted as some sort of advance
it's actually the opposite

the brain/mind can already do this, else humans would be extinct otherwise
consciousness/awareness/mindfulness can be enhanced through diligent practice
no need for overpriced gizmos

oh wait, duuuh!, precisely what TCOTBIP do not want in ANYBODY much less soldiers

i have to laugh at these "supersoldiers" whose superpowers can be turned off

flood a battle area with subsonic isochronic tones that resonate with the P300 signal
and sit back and watch the chaos

maybe a modified bullroarer could do the trick

pity the peoples taxes were most probably spent on these investigations, and the final result is some MIC corporate fatcats are the primary beneficiaries, instead of trickling down to the classroom

interesting subject, nonetheless

flagged

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I did search, didnt find anything with this title, or similar info...thank you though

Although since you insist on another thread with this info, please share it friend, it'll make you feel even more like a mod! udb

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The P300 is proof that Subliminal messaging can work. Which means that the move to convince people that subliminals don't work was a lie and meant to hide this topic...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Ok, so the preliminary steps into having a thought controlled 'avatar' and the ability to control it in real-time through thought commands! Insane! It is really interesting, however the concerns i have are the safety and the potential for future technology. The combination of these two types of technology sounds like it really won't before we can be even lazier... Reminds me of the move 'Surrogates' with Bruce Willis.. definitely reccomend watching it as it is extremely similar to this.. how superficial our society is and the potential for what this technology could turn us into! Anyone seen this movie?? Thoughts?

My thoughts are how do you know you aren't already an avatar for someone in some place you cannot see or detect, a matrix, within a matrix? There is a member here with the name MyMindisMine, and I have to say everytime I see this person's member name, I am quite envious. Wish I was so confident of this.
Though there may not be an exact replica of this thread, there are several threads on the research of DARPA along these lines.
Interesting thing about the hearings in the seventies in regards to MK Ultra, and the passing of legislation about not utilizing psychotronic weaponry on the population at large,,,,it was total BS. This is really more of the same, and the whole point of said research. And with questions of time and artificial intelligence, who knows what is truly up with all this.
No matter the complexity of the technology, a line in is a line out,,and vice versa. Therefore, no relevatory truths come from this whatsoever, It is rather, as you describe, a method of literally living and experiencing vicariously, with none of the pain or consequences of responsibility or initial action or behavior. Truth becomes a relative subjectivity, attributes of identity questionable, and therefore, the guilty and the innocent are the same, and who pays for what behavior becomes the question. There is no longer a starting point, a definable anything, really.....

edit on 5-7-2012 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

top topics

join