It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I find it interesting how quiet a lot are on this ongoing disaster. The disturbing facts are:

In reactors 1, 2 and 3, complete core meltdowns have occurred. Japanese authorities have admitted the possibility that the fuel may have melted through the bottom of the reactor core vessels. It is speculated that this might lead to unintended criticality (resumption of the chain reaction) or a powerful steam explosion – either event could lead to major new releases of radioactivity into the environment. Reactors 1 and 3 are sites of particularly intense penetrating radiation, making those areas unapproachable. As a result, reinforcement repairs have not yet been done since the Fukushima accident. The ability of these structures to withstand a strong aftershock earthquake is uncertain. The temporary cooling pipes installed in each of the crippled reactors pass through rubble and debris. They are unprotected and highly vulnerable to damage. This could lead to a failure of some cooling systems, causing overheating of the fuel, further fuel damage with radioactive releases, additional hydrogen gas explosions, possibly even a zirconium fire and fuel melting within the spent fuel pools. Reactor No. 4 building and its frame are serious damaged. The spent fuel pool in Unit 4, with a total weight of 1,670 tons, is suspended 100 feet (30 meters) above ground, beside a wall which is bulging outward. If this pool collapses or drains, the resulting blast of penetrating radiation will shut down the entire area. At the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power station, the spent fuel pools alone contain an amount of cesium-137 that is 85 times greater than at Chernobyl.

Source: enenews.com...

If you combine this with the Japanese cultural propensity to place "saving face" above all else, one has to question their ability to address all this in a timely manner, or at all.

Thier plan for reinforcing and securing the highly toxic spent fuel in the #4 fuel pool envisions doing the work over the course of a decade (!).

If there is a strong aftershock or even moderate quake along the same fault before that work is done there is a real chance that building will come down, exposing that fuel and releasing enough radiation to seriously poison much of the Northern Hemisphere, particularly North America.

This is the doomsday scenario, yet there is no plan. Those of you who like activist government might explain to me where the UN is? the US? the EU?

We have a very real and direct nuclear security threat from Japan not only now, but for all future generations. It has the potential to end life as we know it if there is another explosion, quake or simple accident at that site.

And the US government is distracted and consumed with phantom nuclear threats to a third country in the Middle East.

I'm going to forget about this now, because there is nothing I can do about it but hope there are no further mishaps while the Japanese fiddle about.

At least I lived to see a Saints Super Bowl victory. The interesting question would be how I choose to go out if this thing ever collapses and terminal irradiation is imminent.
edit on 5-7-2012 by Vrill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
There are a few lonely voices in the scientific community that maintain, given the stakes and the impossibility of knowing when the next quake will hit that fault line, what is required is a full court press international effort on a level of focus compared to the Manhattan Project or Apollo program. Without it the Japanense, who are also basically broke, will just fiddle on.

For all the globalists who love to intervene around the world, this is a situation that cries out for it. Yet, nothing...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Isn't it interesting how fukishima just dropped off the radar screen? Could it because the reactors were built by GE? The same General Electic that owns a good portion of the TV media that you watch?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I don't necassarily believe that 2012 will be the end of the world but maybe it is and they know there is no sense in fixing it. That and the economy. Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I've yet to live a Dolphins Superbowl.

I cant just say that on such an important issue.

Even if I always end up being the lunatic.
The one that is always ridiculed, the one that no one listened to.

To be honest I don't care, because I just want to be proven wrong on this issue.
The fact of hoping for any earthquake 8.5 + in such active seismic region... for a decade or two...
Sometimes I wonder if their not waiting the next Godzilla to release all the crap on our economics.
9/10 like.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSandman

Interesting notion

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Thank you for this.

It's sad the media corporations find issues that could potentially affect us all a non-issue, not worth reporting on.

s n f
edit on 6/7/12 by Indecent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by HEYJOSE

You hit the nail on the head, Hey Jose......I smelled this right off.....sickening, isn't it?....Well, the Japanese people have had it and they are rioting....they jammed the emperor's palace...and jammed the subways....but, the police closed the entrances and exits of the subways, so now thousands are trapped.... I wonder what they will do to them.....Whatever it is, the mild mannered Japanese are ready to force hari-kari on their government!...
(and GE owns NBC, MSNBC,,,etc, etc)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Maybe there needs to be some kind of international treaty on nuclear accidents. To be a nuclear nation you have to sign the treaty. If you have an accident, you have to have it assessed by an international inspection team and it has to be repaired within a certain time frame. If it is not repaired within the assesed period then an international team comes in and does the job and sends you the bill.

That is what Fukushima and Chernobyl style accidents require. This is something people would welcome. To me this is a more legit reason for international interference than anything going on in Africa or the Middle East. The problem is that there is actual work involved, not simply another oportunity to "play commandos".

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Not only do they build a reactor next to the sea on a fault line they put this radiated crap in the ceiling which means that even if the building was hit by a plane or bomb in this location it could kill us all anyway regardless of a meltdown.

I hope that some new technology comes around to replace nuclear reactors because we are playing with fire and will surely get burnt sooner or later

new topics

top topics

join