It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is going to HAVE to boycott Wal-Mart...Or else...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyBuff
It had also came out that Wal-Mart took health insurance policies out on specific employees to cash in upon death, without approval or knowledge from employee or family members.

edit on 6-7-2012 by ConspiracyBuff because: (no reason given)

Most large corporations engage in this practice and have for a long time.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The ultimate truth comes form those saying that you need to change your shopping behavior. If Walmart were to suddenly fail for any reason other than a complete shopper revolt, there are plenty of grocery stores ready and willing to move into their former market share. Meet the new superstore, same as the old superstore...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

Originally posted by ConspiracyBuff
It had also came out that Wal-Mart took health insurance policies out on specific employees to cash in upon death, without approval or knowledge from employee or family members.

edit on 6-7-2012 by ConspiracyBuff because: (no reason given)

Most large corporations engage in this practice and have for a long time.

Well yeah - but not for minimum wage laborers...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyBuff

Well yeah - but not for minimum wage laborers...

First off, what makes you think the majority of Wal-Mart employees make minimum wage? Do you have any stats to share or are you making assumptions?

Secondly, it is a common practice for larger corporations to insure workers and they don’t need your approval. What difference does it make what wage the person earns? Corporations look more at the loss of productivity and cost of replacement if that employee dies rather than the wage that person was paid.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Came across this interesting article which raises some good points. A LOT of good points. Despite the apparent legal sanctity with which Wal-Mart has built a vast empire, it is literally killing American jobs and manufacturing:

Now I'm all for capitalism, but when a country like China uses their slave labor from billions of Chinese to undercut prices to the point of killing American labor and manufacturing, then it most indeed IS time for WAR! Economic war. NO more shopping at Wal-Mart for me. The end. Bye bye Wal-Mart. And any other retailers who are on the Chinese product train too. At some point you just have to pull the plug when it gets so far out of hand that the effects are too great to overlook.

EARN my business, Mr. Merchant. SHOW me a sign out front that says:
"We only deal in American made goods. And any profits this company makes are mostly put into employee wages, reinvestment, or are spent back into the local community. Our books are open to the public, and posted on our website. Support America."

Maybe Hillary Clinton could help...

Cheers

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Here is a stat for ya. My mother works at Walmart and has no college degree. Makes over 20 bucks an hour and has great benefits.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Here's what I don't understand.....

You can buy a 55 inch tv at walmart for 500. Somewhere else your paying 750. So save yourself 250 and buy from wal mart. That 250 is better in your jeans than to support some small business that also could care less about you. Each of the two businesses just wants your money. What does it matter where it goes. All that matters is that your saving money. As if people have the time money or energy to start being all philinthropic about there spending patterns. THE BOTTOM LINE YOU JUST HAVE TO MAKE ENDS MEET.

But if you're fility rich oh sure go help that small business and buy the 750 tv. That way you got the tv and you got this false sense of feeling good about yourself that you helped a local business that cost you an extra 250 for. As if that local business owner gives rats azz about you. He likes your extra 250 that you paid though. .

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
It's not just Wal Mart

They say 2015 there will be a new boom in manufacturing in the USA. They better pick up the pace

That's true, because by 2015 the economy will be so bad that Americans will be happy to work a 60-hour work week at slave wages. That'll bring the manufacturing jobs back!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Here's what I don't understand.....

You can buy a 55 inch tv at walmart for 500. Somewhere else your paying 750. So save yourself 250 and buy from wal mart. That 250 is better in your jeans than to support some small business that also could care less about you. Each of the two businesses just wants your money. What does it matter where it goes. All that matters is that your saving money. As if people have the time money or energy to start being all philinthropic about there spending patterns. THE BOTTOM LINE YOU JUST HAVE TO MAKE ENDS MEET.

But if you're fility rich oh sure go help that small business and buy the 750 tv. That way you got the tv and you got this false sense of feeling good about yourself that you helped a local business that cost you an extra 250 for. As if that local business owner gives rats azz about you. He likes your extra 250 that you paid though. .

Well, not quite. It's not like the small business just decides to charge more for the same television just to get more money out of you. The small business pays the distributor more for the television, therefore charges more. IF the small business was getting his televisions for the same price Walmart did, said small business would undercut the Walmart price.

So, while you might have paid $250 above the Walmart price, the small business owner damn sure didn't make an "extra $250" as you claim. To think that is just stupid.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'ts the evolution of capitalism, it started like this in every village, every town, the store that sells the cheapest gets more trade, gets bigger, squeezes out the little guys, etc, this is just the same thing on a bigger scale, Global Capitalism.

Capitalism has become accepted but to work it needed modified, it needed rules governing it's growth, there weren't any and now it's out of control, on an International scale, it's ridiculous really. Food mountains, starvation, slave labor, mega rich, homelessness, all are flip sides of capitalist ideology.

Before there are any shouts of Communist, I don't believe in that either. Both failed.

Either capitalism is radically altered to something else in each nation or a Global solution is sought, where all nations are joined in agreements. Given the current state of affairs, with politics based on a similarly egotistic basis, it is unlikely the latter would happen anytime soon.

The abolition of capitalism, or the radical alteration of, would require rewriting aspects of constitutions and national laws, with specifics in regards to trading, for example on a local basis with government backing of localised trade associations. As well as a lot of other things.

edit on 6-7-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm proud to say I've boycotted Wallyworld ever since they moved in to my neighborhood and destroyed all the local businesses.
I couldn't agree more - Walmart needs to go and make room for small businesses to fill the gap once again so we can get some real competition and choice! (and maybe living wages too)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Yeah but your entire arguement is null and void because a few people are getting very rich.

/arguement

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er
reply to post by olaru12

wal-mart employs a-lot more then one thinks.
not just in stores, but the many distribution centers. they hire outside trucking companies to haul their freight.
i'am a driver who hauls freight all the time for wal-mart. at least one load a week. sometimes two or three.
i work for a company who employs more than 10,000 drivers. think about how many people wal-mart indirectly employs. not just company drivers either, but independent owner operators.

keep bashing capitalism and you will get what you wish for.... misery

WalMart is not about capitalism... if it was WalMart would purchase products at the price set by the producer not the seller as WalMart demands!

WalMart is about crony capitalism and unfair market advantages just like the rest of the giant TBTF corporations!!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Stores like Wal-Mart are killing the Mom and Pop stores around the country. The second a Wal-Mart is installed in an area, these small stores get high anxiety and for good reason. Ive seen it happen FAR too many times.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Manufacturing Jobs were lost to 3rd world countries because of NAFTA/GATT Treaties. Repeal those TREATIES and we will have those jobs back.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Of course the problem is that the corporations ARE the government. They are making the decisions in their own interest, whether it is your familiar ones OR your state or town or city, which is also a corporation. The states and towns support the corpses because the corpses bring in tax money for them. Not going to bite the hand that feeds you, right?

The little guys will continue to lose.

I could not feed myself if I had to pay local grocery store prices, though. Really guys, have you compared? It's insane, the difference, and anyway, the local stores are profiting too! That's why there prices are so high as well. If they had the chance to be the next Wal-Mart, as businesspeople, who is to say they wouldn't??

I abhor the entire idea of profit. Let everyone in the business get paid, but the idea of profit is getting "tipped" just for being in business. Excuse me? Imagine if we asked for wages beyond what we were paid..."Oh my god! Commie lazy scum! How dare you! Freeloader!"

Used to be, when you traded in a market, you traded equal value for equal value. Why would you do it any other way? What makes YOU and YOUR BUSINESS SO important that I owe you more than what it's worth??? Insane!!

I've tried to explain this simple concept to one person so far in real life, and he basically lashed out at me and said he is sick of lazy people who won't get off their butts and want something free! Oh the irony!!!! The rich want everything! They want cheap labor! They want to have excessive profits! They want to pay little to no taxes and hide things offshore! They want bailouts when they screw up! Geez!!! And to THINK there are such things as Republicans!!! Americans are so stupid! They pay pay pay and work hard, and feel shame when they have to get help from the same losers who stole money from them without them realizing it in the first place!! Stupid pride will do that to you!!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
If no changes ever happened in the way things are purchased then everyone would have just 2 choices still from the 1800's

1) The General Store

2) The Sears Robuck Catalog

No, the changes are inevitable. You can't stop progress. You can't change that fact.

Like say you only bought from small stores and paid more. And you helped those stores. Then say one day you just couldn't make ends meet. So you go into those stores and say "hey can you help me, give me some food and put it on a tab and I'll pay you when I can". they'll laugh in your face and show you the door in most cases. Unless your friends with the owner of the store. And even then he might help you once or twice but that's it. Personally I don't know the owner of any of the local smaller stores. All I know is I pay more there. So I think in most cases it's better to shop where you can get the best price.

Besides Wal mart gives people jobs in 3rd world countries. Your local store doesn't do anything, other than get rich off a monopoly they held in the community for many years on your dime.

No the choice is clear, the time for change is now, WAL MART IS HERE TO STAY AND I'D MUCH RATHER SHOP THERE.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I shop at Wal-mart and I was employed at one time by Wal-mart. I agree that wal-mart sucks the life out of communities and destroys small businesses. They demonize unions and make you go through training on what to do if a union rep approaches you. They're an evil corporation and I'd love nothing more than to completely boycott them and use only local, small stores.

The reality of the situation is that I'm 26 with a wife and 2 children. I don't have much money to my name and barely make rent and bills every month. This month I probably won't make rent at all and probably have to move from my residence of 2+ years. I can't afford to stop shopping at Wal-mart. I wouldn't be able to afford school supplies, diapers, bottles, etc.. if it wasn't for Wal-mart. Want me to stop shopping there? Give me an alternative with similar pricing. Give me the money for my bills, and I'll gladly stop shopping there. Unfortunately, the country and many of it's occupants depend on Wal-mart and other mass retailers to get by. We don't all have the luxury of choosing different places. Some of us are very limited. I didn't plan for it to happen this way, but it is what it is. We're just clay in the hand of these places. There is not much we can do.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Well Wal mart is the devil. I live in Olympia Washington, we do not have a Wal-mart because we voted to not allow them to open up shop here.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by cconn487
Walmart was a good idea, I think they just went a tad overboard with it.

I'll vote for whoever in Congress introduces legislation to:

1) End the China trade deficit
2) Force all retailers in the USA to source at least 80% of their goods from USA manufacturers, in a ramp up, 5 year period. This would allow time for new manufacturing to sprout back up in America. This should extend to raw materials as well, where possible.

Extreme? Maybe. But tough times call for tough measures. And our situation is not getting any better.

We are going to have to become better shoppers who have researched their local businesses to find out who is doing what. Stars for people bringing information into this thread on local retailers who appear to fit the bill.

The trade deficit trend is something that unfolded over a 40 year period. Forcing American businesses to buy 80% of goods domestically after 5-10 would cause a severe crunch and halt on American manufacturers because of logistical and volume issues. It is often said when addressing the point of imported goods that America's infrastructure cannot handle domestic demand, and I agree.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join