It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to pay refugee's 2000$ to leave

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Call it a parting gift, or maybe a bribe. Refugees claimants who failed in their claims for asylum in Canada are being given up to $2,000 and a one-way plane ticket home if they leave voluntarily, the Toronto Star reports.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Pretty wild, even though it would cost a lot more to have people assist them with paperwork, finding a home, paying their rent, contacting country of origin.. etc. All, of course, tax-payer money.

How do my fellow Canadiens feel?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
That's terrible.

Thsi country NEEDS immigration, and a ton of it.

Canada is so backwards, makes me very very upset...

They used to call this place Little America and we use to laugh.

Well it's NOT FUNNY ANYMORE!

~Tenth
edit on 7/5/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
lets see, canada is a 22 hour drive from here...

2k for 22hour drive... hmmm how hard is the asylum process?

Nah im good maybe if it was a little more...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
That's terrible.

We do and we have a great system of allowing them in legally. It was on CNN's hour immigration, spotlighting my city, saying we have the best immigration in the world because we cherry pick doctors, engineers, etc that we need.

Yet a boat load of 400+ from Sri Lanka, with no skills and cannot speak English..
Do they really deserve to stay?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

That's terrible.

We do and we have a great system of allowing them in legally. It was on CNN's hour immigration, spotlighting my city, saying we have the best immigration in the world because we cherry pick doctors, engineers, etc that we need.

Yet a boat load of 400+ from Sri Lanka, with no skills and cannot speak English..

Yes.

Why would they need to leave? Don't we have professionals to train these people to speak english and provide them with skills?

When did Canada become the country that didn't want you based on your nationality and the money you had in your pocket when you got here?

How are we going to go about building our nation if we dont' invest in our citizens and those want to come live here?

Immigration is a two way street, you invest in them, they invest in you, everybody wins. I'm not saying it's perfect and I disagree with some immigration policy in Canada.

But blaming them for our problems is not the way to solve our problems.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
If it's an OFFER and they can turn it down if they want to stay and claim refugee status, I see no problem. If they CHOOSE to return home, in some places 2,000 can go a long way. Many Countries would only put them on a slow boat back home.

This is Canada and I'm ok with them staying rather than face some of the horrors many might experience if they return to their home.

If they are being FORCED...different story.

Peace

edit on 5-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What do you mean?

Were bribing them to leave. Do you know how much 2000$ Canadian is in most of the world? It's a lot, unless your from a 1st world nation and why would be claiming refugee status if you were from one of those nations?

This is outright exploiting these people so that they return to their nations and not bother us.

It's pretty damn despicable.

Sri Lanka for instance it would be 108349.76341 INR.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Yes, we have a small population and wealthy in resources. I don't like our immigration rules and don't like bringing in the conservative PTB rich folk, much prefer grass roots people, thank you very much. Aside from land, food, resources, which should be abundant and free, the whole money system and slavery is EVIL to me and I don't value any human being that way.

However, there have been studies done on immigration and also refugees, for years, decades, since I was a child I've been hearing about them, my father had at one point been the head of the local NDP party and he managed to pull of fan NDP win, provincially,in a riding that had only voted social credit before and since, liberal I guess now. By that I mean it was his strategy that did it. I grew up with stats and information.

One thing frequently mentioned was that for ever single immigrant, and refugee, who found work, (Statistically they started out doing jobs no one else would and their families were hard working), and in time manage to move up the ladder a bit.

They don't stay a drain on the system for long.

However statistically, for every single newcomer that secures employment, and the vast majority do, 6 service jobs are created.

Its a win/win.
edit on 5-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

What do you mean?

Were bribing them to leave. Do you know how much 2000$ Canadian is in most of the world? It's a lot, unless your from a 1st world nation and why would be claiming refugee status if you were from one of those nations?

This is outright exploiting these people so that they return to their nations and not bother us.

It's pretty damn despicable.

Sri Lanka for instance it would be 108349.76341 INR.

~Tenth

If they can refuse and stay, at least they have a choice.

You are assuming that these people are uneducated and have no idea what they would be facing on return. They know more than you or I.

As I said, if they want to stay, ok by me. If they want to return home, ok by me.

Maybe some of these people only came here to earn money to feed their families. That 2,000 will go a long way for them in that case.

Let them make their own decision and let's not assume that they don't know what's best for themselves. IMO

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

That's not the point, I mean, yes I agree they get to make a choice that's awesome, but people who seek asylum is because they can't go back.

Most people can't get their families out of those countries until asylum has been granted is the problem.

So they take the 2 grand, leave the country, they get killed or jailed or whatever it is and those funds get confiscated.

I just hate the idea of bribing somebody to leave your country, it's just another dirty tactic by our current leaders IMO.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

That's terrible.

Yes.

Why would they need to leave? Don't we have professionals to train these people to speak english and provide them with skills?

When did Canada become the country that didn't want you based on your nationality and the money you had in your pocket when you got here?

How are we going to go about building our nation if we dont' invest in our citizens and those want to come live here?

Immigration is a two way street, you invest in them, they invest in you, everybody wins. I'm not saying it's perfect and I disagree with some immigration policy in Canada.

But blaming them for our problems is not the way to solve our problems.

~Tenth

The only reason Canada is doing this is because Harper has his nose up Obama's ass. As much as I love living in Canada I have thought more then once in the last year about moving out of Canada because of how allied we are with America and if there was to be a war on/in America we could potentially be screwed. I think I'm about 6-7 hrs away from the border. Sure I got lots of mountains to yield me but I still don't like being attached to the War Machine.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

That's not the point, I mean, yes I agree they get to make a choice that's awesome, but people who seek asylum is because they can't go back.

Most people can't get their families out of those countries until asylum has been granted is the problem.

So they take the 2 grand, leave the country, they get killed or jailed or whatever it is and those funds get confiscated.

I just hate the idea of bribing somebody to leave your country, it's just another dirty tactic by our current leaders IMO.

~Tenth

Do you remember when there was a guy who beheaded another guy on the greyhound out East? Well the cops had given that guy a one way ticket out of the city because he was a problematic person and they were tired of dealing with him.
When the Vancouver Olympics were getting ready to happen, a lot of the homeless and prostitutes got a one way ticket to the Okanagan. You could tell which prostitutes were from Vancouver because they were hooking in the day time when the local prostitutes only worked at night.

Unfortunately giving people money and a one way ticket out of the area is something that our politicians do a lot. Now we are going after those who seek refuge in Canada.
It makes me ashamed to be a Canadian.

My family helped sponsor a family of refugees fleeing Kosovo back in the late 90's. We openly welcomed 7 or 8 families in my town and I know some others got sent to other towns. If they didn't have Canada to go to they would have been all killed. A year or two later some of them went back to their village in Kosovo and their land and property had been destroyed

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

..And what do you need immigration for? Drive down your wages? Increase crime? Polarize politics? Drain your social services? Who doesn't love cheap labor?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
$2000 would go a long way to helping out Canadians honestly...many many people would be able to pay off their debts and other little things in the way.. I think that's where it should go.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Hey Cal I'm an american and big time fan of Canada. I would be saying woopee ! If the US offered every illegal two grand to GTFO.

It would be more than worth it.
I'd be whistling Dixie out my rear end.

edit on 5-7-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Just a few questions, what kind of refugees are they and where are they from. And what are the reasons for being failed?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
You all bring a good point.

I know "legal refugees" that get a easy pass into Canada are coming from War Torn nations with unstable government... ISnt that like the US tho? lol Couldn't an American come in illegally and claim refugee status?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Well,the american people better hope that Canada changes its laws.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Sounds like a good idea really.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
They reason it's cheaper to give them $2,000 than have to go and track them down when they disappear after their last appeal for asylum is exhausted. How about when the last appeal fails they take them straight to the airport and put them on the next flight back to their country of origin. That would be a lot cheaper than bribing someone to obey the law.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join