It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malware may knock thousands off Internet on Monday

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Thank you, I'm green!

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
By the way this DNS changer virus only affects Microsoft Windows users. If you use a Mac, Linux, or any other operating system there is no need to click that site to check.

Also you don't even need to use the government ran website to check your PC. If you do a few simple searches on the web you can find sites describing how to manually check your registry file for signs of the virus and if found is actually not very hard to remove.

Given that, I have not known anyone who has seen anything but a green check from that site, so the whole thing seems fishy to me

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklife
Given that, I have not known anyone who has seen anything but a green check from that site, so the whole thing seems fishy to me

you have to remember only 200k-ish people are suspected to still be infected. I am sure not all of them come to this site and post on this thread. It's like finding a needle in a hay stack.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Apparently the people that will be affected are the ones that don't update their anti-virus software.

So grandma might not be able to email you for a while after Monday. It may even boost computer hardware sales a tiny bit.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
www.malwarebytes.org...

Thanks for pasing the info, Neo

I have found the above software to be flawless if anyone's interested. It's free, and as long as you update it every few days, your system should remain clean. The free version doesn't run in the backround, but I use it to supplement my always running one. Sometimes the Malwarebytes will find what the other hasn't.

Star for you. I downloaded and ran this. I have Norton and Constant Guard installed and this program found over 50 threats. I keep all of my virus stuff up to date...but obviously it didn't catch everything. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
They cant get rid of me that easily.

Im green.

I should go to my parents and check out theirs. They just like to click things.

-never know

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Yeah next time I am over at my parents I'm gonna check theirs as well. My Dad gets a bunch of forwarded e-mails. Who knows what nasties are hiding in there...

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

Originally posted by spinalremain
www.malwarebytes.org...

Thanks for pasing the info, Neo

I have found the above software to be flawless if anyone's interested. It's free, and as long as you update it every few days, your system should remain clean. The free version doesn't run in the backround, but I use it to supplement my always running one. Sometimes the Malwarebytes will find what the other hasn't.

Star for you. I downloaded and ran this. I have Norton and Constant Guard installed and this program found over 50 threats. I keep all of my virus stuff up to date...but obviously it didn't catch everything. Thank you.

Malwarebytes is a good program,I recommend you download this as well www.safer-networking.org...

I use both and sometimes spybot picks up stuff that malwarebytes doesn't

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Is it just me or did he give us a hint at 2:32 to what THEY are really up to?
Dont go to that website, your on this website because you do not trust your Government. So why would you let them scan your computer? I dont trust a Government that thinks its ok to kill its own citizens with out due process.

Even if you have nothing to hide, who knows the site might upload something on to your computer.
edit on 6-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Green and good to go!
It's good that you're spreading the word all around even more, OP. People need to be alerted of this issue and to have directions of where to go next. I personally have Avast! antivirus and malwarebytes on my PC right now. I used to have Microsoft Security Essentials until it let me down by letting a rather annoying virus through that took me all day to remove -shudders-. Nothing like needing your computer for important stuff to find that there's a virus whenever you just boot up that doesn't let you open a thing. I HATE time delays like that. Any time I have something important to do for school or something on here I always fear that something like that will slow me down.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I checked, I'm good. Hopefully.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Watch 4chan's bot be used excessively . I wrote a paper about this. I'm not at all surprised.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
So 0.02% of the population in America could lose their internets.

Okay.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
that "tested" way too fast. WAY too fast. It didnt test anything at all in fact

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
How is it the FBI is in control of this for other countries not governed by America? I'm just wondering how they have the rights to do this shut down outside of united states.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by article
that "tested" way too fast. WAY too fast. It didnt test anything at all in fact

I thought the same thing. Hey presto you're green!
Ehem wut?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Is it just me or did he give us a hint at 2:32 to what THEY are really up to?
Dont go to that website, your on this website because you do not trust your Government. So why would you let them scan your computer? I dont trust a Government that thinks its ok to kill its own citizens with out due process.

Even if you have nothing to hide, who knows the site might upload something on to your computer.
edit on 6-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

Excellent thinking. I am forever sceptical when the government warns us of a virus and then directs us to a certain site to check your status. Doesn't the government actually create viruses anyway? I am currently scanning my drives the old fashion way and I wont go to any of the sites mentioned.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Hi there,

I checked this site from someone else's internet connection last night so when I came home this morning to check it on my own internet connection I can't even pull it up. I went to an article that lists all the links to click on and the US one is crossed off. Why?

I'm not a computer expert by any means so I have no clue how to check this. I have no idea if I'm green or red. I tried checking it on the FBI's site and I can't get into it there, either.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Geez....Never mind. It finally pulled up and I'm green. It must've been temporarily down.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join