It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The animated movie UP and the brilliant Nikola Tesla

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
So - I had just started re-watching the animated movie UP and while watching the intro where we first see the fictional explorer Charles Muntz, it dawned on me, this guy looks just like Nikola Tesla - and the way he is treated by the scientific community reminds me somewhat of the way Nikola Tesla was viewed by his peers, as an eccentric, amazing and mad character.
Also the seclusive life that Charles Muntz ends up having, chasing his dream, has some clear parallels with the last years of Nikola Tesla.
I even think some of the inventions featured in the movie might be inspired by many of the legends and myth about Tesla. (after seeing the whole movie I know realize that I might have gone overboard with this statement, but old Charles Muntz looks even more like Old Tesla than young Muntz looks like young Tesla).

Picture of Charles Muntz

Picture of Nikola Tesla

Couldn't figure out how to embed pictures. So if anyone can upload them it would be much appreciated.

I do not think that there is any big conspiracy here, but I was not able to find any material online on this subject, so I doubt it is like an official parodi. But perhaps a hitten homage to the always underestimated genius Nikola Tesla.

To those of you not yet familiar with this magnificent man, here is a quick and very entertaining biography.

What do you think? Any connection?
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: added comment after watching the whole movie

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

I don't see a lot of resemblance. It's possible though, I'm sure a bunch of people at Pixar know of Tesla. However, I think if they were going to base a character off of Tesla they would make one who is more sympathetic. Doesn't Muntz turn into kind of a psychopath who mistreats animals, uses his inventions for evil and tries to kill a child? I don't see any Tesla in that.

I actually just looked at the wikipedia entry for the movie and in interviews, the director said Muntz was based on Howard Hughes (that I can definitely see), Charles Lindbergh and Percy Fawcett.

It's almost completely unrelated, but if you like Tesla, you might like The Prestige, which a movie I absolutely love. David Bowie plays Tesla, he's only in the movie for a few very short scenes, but he kind of embodies some of the movies themes. It's also a tremendous movie all around. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman are rival magicians who are basically sabotaging each other's lives.

join