It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logical Fallacies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
"Left is right, right is wrong." We've all heard this phrase, I think. If you haven't, let me explain. It's a witty little rhyme meant to represent fashion sense that avoids associating oneself with homosexuality. Fashion advice for straight men...right. Anyway, wearing your ear ring in the right ear means you're gay. Hence, "right is wrong." However, I was out celebrating the 4th, and the various abuses I put my body through inspired a very amusing thought:

Everyone who ever used that line is an idiot. See, all it takes is a little mathematical talent. Let's assume that the word "left" has the value of 1. Now assign the value of 2 to the word "right". Next, assign 3 to "wrong." Here comes the fun part.

According to this sentiment, not only does 1 = 2, but 2 = 3 as well. And since 1 and 3 both equate with 2, that means 1 = 3 as well. But wait, this can't be right! That's means left is wrong too! Okay, both left and right are out now. Hold on - let's dig a little deeper. If we switch it around, it means that wrong is right...which means both left AND right are acceptable. Now the bombshell: if they all share the same value or meaning, then that makes the whole thing worthless. Nothing can be both left, right, and wrong at the same time.

So next time someone makes a comment about, "Dude, your ear ring is in the wrong ear. The right ear is for homos, man," just look at them and laugh. Laugh deeply, from the belly. Because now, you and me, we know the truth, don't we?

Happy 4th, everyone!
edit on 5-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Oh my, LOL!

I remember people saying things like that in the early to mid 90's.
I can't believe people still believe that stuff! They must suffer from generation gap syndrome.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Logic makes many people arrogant.

And in some cases, 1 + 1 =3
edit on 5-7-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

new topics

join