It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Turkey Gets Nod From European Union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Setting tough conditions on its admission, the European Union (EU) has voted to begin talks aimed at putting Turkey on a membership track. The European Commission president Romano Prodi, indicated that the recommendation to start talks was �a qualified yes�. However, he also indicated that they would be both prudent and cautious in admitting Turkey. Concerns have been raised among the EU members about admitting the prominently Moslem nation.

story.news.yahoo.com
STRASBOURG, France - The European Union has recommend Turkey be put on the path to full membership, a historic move that could push Europe's borders to the Middle East and stoked fears among Europeans wary of bringing a poor Muslim country into the prosperous bloc.

Reflecting widespread misgivings, the 30-member EU executive commission on Wednesday set tough conditions to prevent Turkey from backtracking on sweeping democratic and human rights reforms, prompting a sharp response from Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

"If the European Union declares itself to be a Christian club we should know this clearly," he said.

In Brussels, European Commission President Romano Prodi said the recommendation to start entry talks was a "a qualified yes" to Turkey, which has long sought to join the EU. "Our position is a positive one, but also a prudent, cautious one," he said.

French President Jacques Chirac said talks with Turkey could last 10-15 years "at a minimum."

It is now up to the EU's 25 leaders to approve the recommendation at a Dec. 17-18 summit in Brussels, paving the way for the start of entry talks with the overwhelmingly Muslim country of 71 million people as early as next year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan responding to the strict conditions that would prevent turkey from changing democratic and human rights reforms had this to say: "If the European Union declares itself to be a Christian club we should know this clearly,". He further criticized French President Chirac on seeking a referendum in France to approve the entry of Turkey to the EU. IF all goes as planned, the earliest Turkey would be admitted Is 2015.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: French Minister: No EU Slot For Turkey For At Least 15 Years

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I've yet to figure out why they would want to join the EU, every country in the EU is worse off because of it. I'll only be happy when the EU finally falls

[edit on 7-10-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Go for it EU, go for it Turkey. Union or not, talks are always a good thing. Every married couple can tell you that.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
I've yet to figure out why they would want to join the EU, every country in the EU is worse off because of it. I'll only be happy when the EU finally falls

[edit on 7-10-2004 by UK Wizard]

You may not like the EU, but that does not mean that all countries are worse than they were.

And even if all countries are worse, nobody can say if they would be better or worse if they did not entered the EU.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

You may not like the EU, but that does not mean that all countries are worse than they were.

And even if all countries are worse, nobody can say if they would be better or worse if they did not entered the EU.

ok sorry, i was too quick to judge

But i know that the UK is worse off because of it

new topics

top topics

join