It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Army To March On London...

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sozen94

Still go for it mate. At it's current size, the Army needs 27,000 recruits annually, so I'm told, so there is still scope to get in. You just may find certain trades or units have gone.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

I am sure they would get a good pasting, of they try an show up. One thing you don't try and hijack, is regimental pride.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Yeah, I'm just hoping the EDL/UAF won't turn this into another racial thing.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne
Oh, and what happens if the English Defence League decide to show up? They're bound to hear about this off one of the FaceBook groups.

Not that I'm an EDL supporter by any stretch, but most of the trouble is caused by the UAF and their gang of "Asian youths" they always seem to have as their attack dogs.

Both groups are a bunch of idiots though, but the EDL isn't a "racist" group. I've seen plenty of black and Sikh guys amongst their numbers.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by milominderbinder

I'll think you'll find your going to pissing in the wind if you take up an anti-monarchist stance..

Like it or lump it, 80% of the UK wants the Monarchy and the Jubilee celebrations were a big hit around the country.

That's my whole point. Kind of stupid to be upset about austerity measures when the UK taxpayer is LITERALLY supporting royalty.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbeit

Why don't you send me what you posted as a private message. The ATS Censor-Gestapo is at it again...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
The one thing that is making me Grin about this, is I would love to see the Met try and kettle a bunch of angry squaddies, and officers too I hope.

I can here the orders now. as the police line up with the batons.
SECTION, ENEMY ATTAAAACK!!

It would be more like "Charley Charley one, this is Sunray, move now, move now... Out"

Or if you are Mortars, "ACTION DIRECTION AS INDICATED!!"

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
In the US, active duty and reserve service members are not allowed to protest or form unions by law. If we did this, it would be disbanded and those in charge would get pretty serious punishments.

All in the name of "good morale and discipline" I guess. The UK has a good track record of protesting and being heard though. Best of luck to you all.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wooster
In the US, active duty and reserve service members are not allowed to protest or form unions by law. If we did this, it would be disbanded and those in charge would get pretty serious punishments.

All in the name of "good morale and discipline" I guess. The UK has a good track record of protesting and being heard though. Best of luck to you all.

We are not allowed to either... That is why it shall be pretty unprecedented...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

But we don't, I refer you to my previous post about the Crown Estate and the Civil List.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

This is a cut from 102,000 to 82,000 by 2020. That leaves 82,000 army resources, with third parties to take logistical roles as required that probably should never have been an 'army' responsibility. There has been no talk at all of 3rd parties performing in a combat manner, that is just smoke and mirrors to create an outrage.

I have as much respect for all of the armed forces as the next person, but this is being blown out of proportion. Attrition through retirement and the end of peoples commission over the next 8 years or so will mean many of the reductions will not even be redundancies, what is the major issue here? Many people theorise that any future wars will be less based on ground troop involvement than in the past due to emerging technology.

The strange thing is that the last time I looked at army numbers in the face of an impending cut the figure was 320,000. Now it is 102,000. How long does that go on?

Logistical roles being carried out by "3rd parties" may be all well and good in peacetime but could be a big problem in the event of war. "3rd parties" are not soldiers. "3rd parties" do not have the same discipline.

The fact that we can kill people remotely will NEVER protect the country.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

The numbers have steadily dropped in the last 20 years.. When I got to my unit in 1990 the Army's strength was around 150000.. We were ridiculously under-manned then.. My platoon had 10 guys in it!.. Then after the first gulf war we lost a battalion... Then came redundancies.. So its been dropping for years...

The fact that we can kill people remotely will NEVER protect the country.

I have tried to explain that to people.. Its the infantryman that wins wars by taking and holding ground.. Not bombs or missiles or any other tech, but the Mark 1 grunt...
edit on 6-7-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is such a bad time for this to happen, right here with the Olympics starting in a few weeks.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BakeryBoy

Who do you think is giving security for the Olympics?? Every right to do what they are doing

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BakeryBoy

They're not immediate redundancies.. They'll be over the course of the next year to 18 months I'd imagine, if previous rounds are anything to go by.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Support from the colonies! I used to sleep well knowing your harriers were on 'our side'. But no, they had to take away the best machine from the best pilots in the world. Good Luck.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
So when are you guys marching on London? Good Luck btw :-)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'm with you lot on this one.
I left 7 years ago ,left with nothing more than a 8K handshake ,no mortgage no benefits no housing and a pile of bills, 5 medals on my chest and a set of rods from the system as I walked out the gate past the Guard room for the last time ,left to stew in an environment I didn't understand properly (Resettlemt was a Joke) and people who didn't care too much for me and my skills,the Govenrment doesn't give a S@@$ about you and I they had their pound of flesh from you and then toss you to one side redundant and lost in Civ Div.
My Regt was formed in 1702 it's gone through changes galour ,a proud Yorkshire Regt ,a family orientated Regt with a glorious history along with other commendations and VC's to boot you've sailed us down the river without so much as a blink of an eye, losing years of history in the name of money saving and the penny pinching system ,Mr Cameron you're a clown,a spineless puppet along with the defence dancing bears you all make a very good line up for Billy Smarts Circus (AKA Westminster) ,you've sold me and others down the river ,along with those still fighting in a country miles from home having packed up for 6 months their entire lives in MFO boxes and a look forward to 2 weeks off at some point and you pay yourself handsomely for sitting with other members of the elitist political club from around the globe having never put yourself in the line of fire ,you PPO does that ,get fit you KNA@£$@ pick up some CBA a bin lid,rounds and a rifle and put your neck on the line for your country like hundreds of thousands of lads before have done for their country only to have there hearts ripped from their chests uncaringly by making Defence cuts and removing regional and regimental association within communities
Does the fact that some Regts have lost hundreds in the line of duty during the great wars ,Tabb'd miles to get over mountains for a fight with the Argies,fought and died in far off lands laid down their lives for this country ,still to this day lads and lasses die in the face of fierce fighting in recent conflict ,does your heart even skip a beat,does your conscience even register what you've done to the families ,troops who's association with these Battalions you're. mercilessly culling is so close and intrinsically tied into the fabric of their lives ...?
You disgust me I feel repulsed when I hear your voice and angry when I see your patronising face with that smug grin I want to wipe clean off your grid.I'm gonna march on London thats for sure.
God Bless and Lest we forget Ladies and Gents.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Taken from facebook..

"THE LAST TIME THE BRITISH PUBLIC SAVED THE BRITISH FORCES WAS WHEN THEY BROUGHT THEM HOME FROM DUNKIRK" (Quote from an ex soldier) The Dunkirk spirit is spreading across the country via facebook PEACEFUL PROTESTS BEING HELD SIMUTANEOUSLY ACROSS THE UK DATE: Tuesday 24th July at 11.00 AM MAIN VENUE - CENOTAPH IN LONDON LOCATION: At war memorials in every town, village and city in UK. A PEACEFUL PROTEST will be held at the Cenotaph in London and at Cenotaphs all over the UK in towns and villages where their local Remembrance Service is held - this is to pay respect to those who gave their lives and also to those who serve their country now Not everyone can travel due to ill health or financial restrictions and this way everyone can take part and show their support for our armed forces. Defence cuts mean we are more open to terrorism - The whole world remembers 9/11 - lets not forget 7/7 and all the innocent lives lost in London. Defence cuts mean young soldiers being sent to war zones without the back up of experienced older soldiers due to them being made redundant. Defence cuts mean more armed forces personnel living on the streets. Will they be made redundant and be allowed to remain in their MSQ? The charity Soldiers Off the Streets already work day and night trying to feed, clothe and house soldiers living on the streets of the UK and despite having groups all over the country they struggle due to the sheer number needing help. How will they cope if thousands more are made redundant? More homeless people on the streets will lead to more poverty and more illness resulting in more money being needed for an already struggling NHS How do these redundancies save money when there will be thousands more people on benefit needing money from the government instead of paying taxes to them? The objective is to get a u-turn on the defence cuts that will ultimately affect our national security With the cuts, the entire population of the British Army would not fill Wembley Stadium. OLYMPICS Costing over £7 billion - how can we justify this? An event which will last a few weeks and to which the armed forces have been drafted in to ensure better security and to protect against the threat of terrorists THE public vote the politicians into power, but they are systematically destroying a way of life that millions made the ultimate sacrifice for. Our armed forces are still the best in the world but increasingly put under pressure at a time when the threat of terrorist attacks is so high. Over 2,000 people joined the facebook group in less than 24 hours and its growing bigger all the time. Plans are already under way for protests in London, Glasgow, Leicester, Stafford, Manchester, Leeds, Caernarfon, Portsmouth and many other venues across the UK If we don't make a stand now, what will be the next move by the government? They have surrendered so much already. When our MP's have completely surrendered the British way of life will our Union Jack be stripped of red and blue and become just a white flag? We aim to make the M.O.D. take notice and support our armed forces

Link

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
do you remember when 1 million britons marched in protest against war with iraq? how did that work out?
protest marches are quite easy to ignore.

edit on 6-7-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join