It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteriod or Comet over England/ Hertfordshire, Anyone else hear this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I was in bed early this morning around 2.45 am GMT.

I always sleep with my window next to me open as i like the breeze blowing in my face.

Anyway, I always hear planes helicopters..but this morning was something alot different..

The noise this thing was making was nothing like i heard before, it was like a hurling noise ripping through the atmosphere. I have encounterd an astroid before, it was noisey but what i heard last night was alot louder.

I couldnt see anything as there was loads of clouds but i was aboslutley crapping myself.

I dont over react but after a few seconds of listening to it, i juped out of bed, grabbed my phone and though if this hits i have to be with my mum, so i went into her room... The noise died down and i didnt hear a bang lol..

It must of ripped through the atmosphere and back into space.....

Did anyone else here this?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I'm in croydon and i heard something, but i do get alot of helicopters over and i had my headphones on so i couldnt really tell a diffrence

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by definity

Oh really. it was so wierd! it deffo sounds like something thats wasnt in control.....I dont think my heart raced so much in my life...

I am in watford, i hear planes all the time and heli's, this deffo wasnt one of them lol

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I have encounterd an asteroid before

I think it's a safe bet to say that you have never encountered an asteroid. If you had, you wouldn't be alive to talk about it.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I don't know what you heard, but it was neither a comet nor an asteroid as both would be in space and as such don't generate any sound. If one entered the atmosphere we'd either be dead or watching the news right now! They would both be in orbit around the sun too so they would be trackable for months.

Meteors on the other hand are supposed to be noiseless, although many meteor watchers claim to have heard some of them make a 'ssssssssssssssss' type sound as they enter the atmosphere - I've heard this too. Other than that I can't help you.
edit on 6/7/12 by Insomniac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mogget

Astoid/ Comet... what is the difference

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

The ' ssssssssssssssssssssssss' noise it what i heard..

What i saw last year was an astroid/comet because it was on fire making a ssssssssssss noise.. and definatly not an controlled aircraft.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BloodSister
reply to post by Insomniac

The ' ssssssssssssssssssssssss' noise it what i heard..

What i saw last year was an astroid/comet because it was on fire making a ssssssssssss noise.. and definatly not an controlled aircraft.

That would have been a Fireball (also known as a Bolide) which is a very bright meteor. You're very lucky to have witnessed one.

The word bolide comes from the Greek βολίς (bolis) [14] which can mean a missile or to flash. The IAU has no official definition of "bolide", and generally considers the term synonymous with "fireball". The term generally applies to fireballs reaching magnitude −14 or brighter.[15] Astronomers tend to use "bolide" to identify an exceptionally bright fireball, particularly one that explodes (sometimes called a detonating fireball). It may also be used to mean a fireball which creates audible sounds.

Source

Asteroids and comets don't whizz throught the atmosphere, they orbit the sun. On the rare occasion one enters the atmoshere it causes massive damage. This happened in Tunguska in 1908 which is believed to have been caused by an impacting comet, although some scientists think it was an asteroid. There was a theory that it was a black hole passing through the Earth, but not many (if any) scientists believe that now.

Tunguska event

(Here are some nice images of fireballs
edit on 8/7/12 by Insomniac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BloodSister
reply to post by Mogget

Astoid/ Comet... what is the difference

Simply put, a comet is a ball of ice (mostly) and an asteroid is a lump of rock.
edit on 8/7/12 by Insomniac because: typo

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Ohh i seee!

Thank you for clearing it up with me....

I am glad i know the correct term now lol

new topics

top topics

join