It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia: Victorian Government hires "connex" thugs as ticket inspectors to bash commuters.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbeit

Originally posted by kudegras
reply to post by Arbeit

Are you serious? The bloke had a ticket and it wouldn't matter if he didn't. No one deserves to cop a hiding like that
no matter what they've done.
In 2007 I was travelling from Merinda Park on the Pakenham line to the city, I couldn't get a ticket as the machine wasn't working as per normal. So I thought I'd get a ticket at Flinders Street when I got off. I mean I still had to buy a ticket, I still had to get home right?
So I go up to an inspector and report that the machine wasn't working at Merinda Park and that I wanted an all day
ticket. He says you cant buy one, he wanted my details and that I was to be fined $200.
At this point I lose it and he gets 3 of his buddies and they try to heavy me. I'm not a small bloke and I can handle myself but I was lucky Flinders St. was crowded at 8.30 am in the morning. I think I was about to get a hiding.
Common sense prevailed and even though I tried to fight the ticket, they still fined me $200.
So for the want of a $4 ticket, I am fined $200 and that bloke at Dennis station gets bashed, and he had a ticket.
This is the future, everything privatised and policed by thugs. You have a very arrogant attitude that will not be tolerated on here, I feel for you with such a warped view of reality, that you are displaying.
Martial Law is already here.

$200 was clearly not enough as you seemingly do not recognise that you willingly and knowingly travelled on the train without paying, with some lame dame excuse that you wanted to buy a ticket.

You should have been roughed up a little more, might have taught you not to cheat the system.

edit on 6-7-2012 by omega man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by repeatoffender

The way I see it:
- its unclear whether he had his feet up on the seat during the trip - the recording starts from the point the inspector approaches him.
- he was argumentative, animated and confrontational
- he did not produce a ticket
- the inspector was argumentative and animated also
- he attacked the inspector first
- the inspector retaliated
- he was ejected from the train
- no way to see what happened outside and confirm whether he provoked the final outcome by further attacking the inspectors
- he didn't settle for $200000+ in damages
- Hemophilia is genetic, not inflicted by concrete.

This is a law suit for a sum of money much larger than the offered $200000+. It's as much motivated by pure greed as it is a quest for justice (by the victim and his lawyers). The interview was rehearsed and he clearly had legal preparation/advice prior to it. It is a simple means to acquire public sympathy, intimidate Victorian transport by flexing the sympathy muscles, strengthen the case by gaining public exposure and double, quadruple, etc the compensation amount.

Given that it's coming partially from my tax money, I believe $200000+ is more than adequate in terms of compensation for someone that instigated violent behavior in the first place.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by phalanx001

The way I see it:
- its unclear whether he had his feet up on the seat during the trip - the recording starts from the point the inspector approaches him.
- no way to see what happened outside and confirm whether he provoked the final outcome by further attacking the inspectors

This is a law suit for a sum of money much larger than the offered $200000+. It's as much motivated by pure greed as it is a quest for justice (by the victim and his lawyers). The interview was rehearsed and he clearly had legal preparation/advice prior to it. It is a simple means to acquire public sympathy, intimidate Victorian transport by flexing the sympathy muscles, strengthen the case by gaining public exposure and double, quadruple, etc the compensation amount.

Given that it's coming partially from my tax money, I believe $200000+ is more than adequate in terms of compensation for someone that instigated violent behavior in the first place.

I strongly disagree, the CCTV footage clearly shows Aravopoulos move towards the carriage door in a motion to go past the inspector, the inspector, clearly well aggressive and agitated by this stage shoves Aravopoulos with a two handed open palm thrust to the chest forcing him backward into the carriage wall into a submissive position where he then proceeds to grab Aravopoulos by the jacket front with both hands pinning him against the wall then dragging him around the area of the carriage, before being assisted in dragging Aravopoulos from the carriage.
I strongly urge you to read the ombudsman report and re-watch the clip with an open mind!
edit on 8-7-2012 by repeatoffender because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I worked in the sydney railway for 7 years..one of the worst places you can work. Liars, cheats, scammers, the government really produced a haven for crooks in the railway.

I would always be asked to become a train guard..because of my build, but i always refused. Giving 15 year old's..and old people fines wasnt my thing really.

The most tragic thing is the guards have more power than the police on the rail network..

fked up system

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I catch Perth trains a lot, and one night home I saw the all to common site of a group of transits hassling out this young drunk guy. The kid had a ticket, he was just a bit hammered. They were giving him all sorts of grief, actually abusing him verbally in front of us other passengers, threatening to arrest him. I was down the carriage a bit so the transits didnt see me make a phone call to the police:

"There are these guys on the train hassling out this poor kid--AND THEY HAVE WEAPONS!"

Police did respond. No arrests were made tho. Im so glad I dont have my mobile registered in my name

Problem is, there is no other option if you go for a night out; You either drive and risk DD or worse, or you end up catching the train home drunk, the legal option--which results in the examples similar to the OP.. ffs!

I fear the day these thugs get firearms.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by repeatoffender

Originally posted by phalanx001

The way I see it:

I strongly disagree, the CCTV footage clearly shows Aravopoulos move towards the carriage door in a motion to go past the inspector, the inspector, clearly well aggressive and agitated by this stage shoves Aravopoulos with a two handed open palm thrust to the chest forcing him backward into the carriage wall into a submissive position where he then proceeds to grab Aravopoulos by the jacket front with both hands pinning him against the wall then dragging him around the area of the carriage, before being assisted in dragging Aravopoulos from the carriage.
I strongly urge you to read the ombudsman report and re-watch the clip with an open mind!

Took your advice, to no avail. We may have to agree to disagree on this one.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join