It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The existence of Bigfoot

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
What are everyone's thoughts on the possibility that these animals do exist. Has anyone thought that they have seen one? It is a subject that I have always been very interested in. Unlike many other cryptids, nearly every civilization on the face of the earth has a name for this animal and appears at some time believed in its existence. That is very intriguing to me. This belief has to originate from something or somewhere.

I believe that the animals do exist and have came face to face with humans in the past on a more consistent basis. Based on their size and how strong a wild primate that size would be, prehistoric humans would have been no match against one. Any encounter with one would like result in death.

With the above being the case, I believe that the fear of and always being on-the-lookout for these animals is ingrained in our human nature and has not completely left us as our species has evolved over time. Similar to the fact that it is in our nature to be afraid of snakes. I feel this is the reason for the alleged sightings.

If these animals really do exist, I find it almost impossible that a dead body has not be found or that a young animal would not have strayed away and been caught. Unless they bury their dead like we do of course.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Interesting post, I think your last sentence sums it up well, Vrill.

Why have we never come across remains or a skeleton ? Why with all our technical expertise, have we not filmed or captured one ?

Also, there would have to be a viable population, for their continued existence, so there would be many of them ?

Falls in to the same class as the " Yeti " and Loch Ness, and other lake monsters, folklore...

It would be great to think there is something out there, but it seems extremely unlikely, I would say.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I personally think that the Bigfoot/yeti/Sasquatch/abnauayu myths originated with Neanderthals, other now-extinct humanoid species or was the result of interbreeding between these species - which we know happened. If these offspring were anything like other interbreed animals, such as the liger (Lion/tiger) this would explain their large and brutish figure.
I think in more recent time the great apes, like gorillas has served as a big influence and the rest I imagine is just superstition.

To my understanding it took almost 2000 years for the spherical earth theory to be accepted by earths general population, many religious people believe in stories that can be traced all the way back to ancient Egypt, so I don't see why the fear of other humanoids would not still be a part of our culture, since it most likely was in prehistoric times.

In other words - I totally agree with you.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith
reply to post by Vrill

Falls in to the same class as the " Yeti " and Loch Ness, and other lake monsters, folklore...

Maybe / maybe not. Although the sustainable population point is a valid point for discussion. I do not think the lack of carcuss point is, I mean how often when walking in the woods to you find a dead body of any type of animal.

Wasn't there a newly discovered tribe of humans discovered in south America a few years ago, add Congo etc..

I spent some time in northern Laos and southern China in the bush and I saw something that did not really 'fit'. A quick glance in the direction of it, but it was big and it was dark and it was looking at me as it moved quickly and quietly away. It didn't 'fit' because I had to do a double take and when I did it was gone. So maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me. but here's the thing when I was next in a village I mentioned it to the local tribe elder and although a lot got lost in translation he referred to him as a sort of mountain man and that he liked to hide.

All that is not to say that its not all some sort of psychological defence mechanism in-grained into us going back to when we lived side by side with the Neanderthals, mind playing tricks...

DONT GO INTO THE WOODS ALONE!

Loch ness is a creepy place but the whole nessie thing is a jumped up publicity stunt. Its fun and romantic. But thats all. But Yeti and the mountain men... well my jury is out on that one. You wont convince me either way.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Lots and Lots of debate about this. Some say there Big Apes that are smart and know to stay away from civilizations, and some believe they are descendents of the Nephilim. I doubt there existence, tho I do have a story.

Time before last when I went out camping with a few friends, we spent one day searching for new fishing spots along fresh water rivers. One of the spots we stopped at, as we were leaving, I notices a giant footprint on the side of this downed water logged tree. It was about 15 inches long and a perfect imprint. I remember thinking either Shaq was stomping around the woods bare foot, or some one had a huge metal foot stamp and was playing a joke. Didn't give it any more thought, didn't tell my friends and just kept walking. We stopped at a couple more spots, and one of the other spots I saw another footprint. This one was in sand along the water. The footprint was half of what the last was, Same size in length but only the front part of the foot as well as half an arch and heal, but obviously too big for any average person.. again didn't give it much thought and didn't say anything to any one.

It wasn't till we got home that I saw the TV show about big foot for the first time, and it sparked my memory about what I saw and I told my friend. He was quite pissed I didn't say anything to him at the time. But like I told him, it was so a (yea right) thought, that I didn't for one second think about telling any one..

THEN , He told me about a trip his grandfather went on with one of his friends. A camping trip in which they were woken up in the middle of the night by screams and what sounded like logs being hit on trees. Hey said they had hiked deep into the forest where there should not have been any one else. This man, his grandfather is a believer that they exist. He is also a retired Colonel from the US Air Force.

I however am not a believer..
edit on 07/05/12 ? by SickeningTruths because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Just found this on the Laos wildman

www.bigfootencounters.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
My father served in Vietnam from 1968-1969. He spoke of "rock-apes" that would that scared him and his men while patrolling near the Cambodian border. One twitchy private shot one of the creatures which caused the other apes to throw large boulders down the hill. As far as I know none was seriously injured in the incident. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

I have seen one. Rather more up close and personal then I really wanted...

There's a thread about it in this forum, I'll link it for you...

My Bigfoot adventure...

So, naturally enough, I'm firmly in the "I believe" camp... Though the question of "what is it, really?" still needs to be answered.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Im not a believer, im a knower. I'll share my story soon.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I believe that there is a strong possibility that creatures known as bigfoot/sasquatch/yetti could very well exist. I had a strange encounter when i was in high school doing a subject called 'bush craft' (i live in Australia) which as you could imagine involved a lot of outdoors, survival and camping.

Anyway we were on the last day of a 5 night 6 day 35km 'bivouac' down the south coast of New South Wales which is pretty much camping but changing location everyday by hiking and bush walking long distances with a map and compass and a set location each day to meet up there with the teacher and the rest.

We had set up camp near to a creek in this park on this last night which was actually the closest we had been to civilization all trip with a small town about a kilometer away but yet still had bush mostly surrounding us..
That night we had girls come and rug up with us because it was 'cold'
and later on the girl who was in my sleeping bag needed to go to the toilet and wanted me to come with her because it was pitch black outside and she was scared..

So i said yes and we proceeded to go to this small toilet block about 150 meters from the tent and as she went in and i stood outside waiting while holding this small flashlight that was nearly out of batteries..
Not long after she went in i heard a loud rustling and then some big branches snapping in the tree's closest to the toilet which was about 25 meters from us and was very thick.. I shined the torch over there and saw these very large trees SWAYING and moving just in this one single place with a lot of force which no person could do..
First thing that popped in my head was wind but there was non what so ever then thinking maybe an animal? but we have no animals with that kind of strength or size in Australia to do it, before i could think of anything else it stopped..

While still standing there in shock i heard a rock go skimming across the ground past me at a fast pace, then another one and another one in quick succession so then i thought to myself yep this has to be people playing a prank so i walked slowly over to the trees so i could shine the light in it and hopefully see who is in there, i tried but the torch wasnt strong enough and the bush was to thick to see anything clear but as i was walking up within 15 metres of it i said 'whos there?' or something along those lines and straight back i heard this weird mix of soft talking/growling that i couldn't discern what it was saying which was quite spine tingling and sounded like there was more then one of them and maybe even talking to each other..

Then the girl came out and asked what i was doing and i said did you hear that? She said she heard the trees rustling and snapping and thought it was just me playing around trying to scare her..
I went back over to her whole having this strange feeling of being watched and told her to wait here a minute to see it..
She wanted to go back but agreed to hang around for a minute to see this and wouldn't you know it 10 seconds later the trees started again and she freaked out bad and said it looked like a T-Rex was about to bust through the bush's they were moving that much...
Well she took of running back to the tent i was right behind her and we woke everyone up and told em about the 't-rex' and all of them shrugged it off like it was nothing but then about 5 mins later just just up the creek from where we were we heard this very loud splash which sounded like a extremely overweight person doing a bomb off a diving board....

Funny thing is i didn't even know about 'yowies' back then (Australian version of bigfoot) even though i knew about bigfoot i just thought at the time it was just the in the United States or what not until i saw a show on television about them and the weird thing is while watching it its like all the pieces of the puzzle instantly came together in my mind from this incident that happened years earlier and thought it fit better then any of the other explanations cause all the others i had already thought and went through didn't work out as well as this one which in turn made me research yowies and discovered other people have had similar experience and sightings around the same areas of the state..

Another quick weird one just happened the other week when i was in the Blue Mountains going bush walking with my girlfriend and came across a lookout with a beautiful view overlooking a river with thick trees and steep mountains on the opposite side of us across the river was no civilization or houses what so ever..
We sat down and took in the view and relaxed for a while until then we heard this extremely loud howl coming from that side in the mountains which sounded like a wolf/monkey/bird mixed in one n could hear it so clearly from so far away and sounded very large, we looked at each other right away and were glad that it was coming from the other side of the river and heard it a few more times then we continued on our way

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Find some DNA, some bones, or shoot one, then you have my attention.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Theunknownscaresme

Yep, my brother served at the same time and saw 'em. What he saw was (I forget how many) "there were up-walking big monkey type things walking and rumaging in our "trash dump area" they saw us and ran back in
the boonies..fast."

But, he did call them rock apes.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
A personal experience changes everything. When I caught a glimpse of a *huge* hairy creature, standing on two legs, bent over yanking some short shrubs out of the ground ( I assume for their roots), my fascination with bigfoot turned into belief from my experience.

As for not finding bodies and whatnot...the wilderness is their realm. They know it better than we do. While we humans enjoy the forests and mountains, they live there, it's their territory, so they would be suited to usually keep out of sight and hide their existence as well as they can. They very well made bury their dead, or have some sort of ritual to hide the remains.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFoxxx

Hey Great story, But I want to hear more about the girl and the sleeping bag. Now pick it up at......

I got up and "went back over to her whole".......etc etc.

And Oh Yes, Yowies are real, Yetis are real and Sasquatch are real....

Now...Back to her whole.........

edit on 6-7-2012 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith
reply to post by Vrill

I spent some time in northern Laos and southern China in the bush and I saw something that did not really 'fit'.

when I was next in a village I mentioned it to the local tribe elder and although a lot got lost in translation he referred to him as a sort of mountain man and that he liked to hide.

Mind if I ask how long ago this was and what general area it was in? I'm planning a trip around Laos for the beginning of next year with my girlfriend, and I'm planning to make an amateur documentary of the trip whilst I'm there and it would be fantastic if I could do a little asking around about the Laos version of the ape-man.

As for the topic, I don't think we can discount the idea that Bigfoot is real. The myth comes from so many cultures and what one culture says, others seem to collaborate. The fact we don't have any discernible proof of his existence just means we don't have proof that he doesn't exist either, so it will be open for debate for a long time. How he made his way to Australia to become the Yowie though is completely beyond me.

Hopefully we'll receive good proof one day that isn't grainy footage or a dark figure in the distance.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
S an F Vrill!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

I believe in Bigfoot, although I've never seen one personally. The thing that most makes me believe is like you said, so many people from different places have their own stories about them. Even just here in North America there's enough sightings to convince me. Enough similar details and actions. Yes a large amount are misidentified or even hoaxed, but not every single one can be.

Asking for DNA or bones is a very valid request, and I completely understand why some need that to chage their views. My opinion on that is there is so much land out there that humans don't explore that it would be easy for it to remain hidden. But I think one day someone will come across hard evidence. I hope so.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

they are real

they are primitive man

all cultures know about them by different names

a guy uses sweet things like honey to film them at night with night vision, google it

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
re:

Hopefully we'll receive good proof one day that isn't grainy footage or a dark figure in the distance.

there is plenty of video on youtube, lame stream media back darwin's skulls

big foot is primitive man

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join