It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Win For One Of The Good Guys! How I Beat My Bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
So last month my bank (Commonwealth Bank of Australia) debited $300 from my savings account in to my personal loan- unauthorised and after I had already made that payment.

I call the loans department to be told to transfer $200 from my savings account in to my loan and I would be able to retrieve $500. Before doing so a few days later, I called again to confirm the process and received that confirmation.

Bear in mind the money they deducted put me short on what I required for rent.

So I speak with a manager in the loans department who tells me to transfer ANOTHER $100 then I could retrieve the $500 as the consultants I spoke with had not properly viewed my details and I was actually $100 behind on my loan. After another conversation I was promised that the money would be in my account so as I could pay rent when it was due.

When I went to pay rent it was not there, I contacted their compensation department and got the ball rolling...asking for $10k for stress, damage to the relationship with my landlord etc. etc.

They called and offered me $250...I declined and registered my dispute with the finance ombudsman.

They called me today and offered me $550- I declined it and asked for more.

I received an email earlier with an offer of $1,000 to compensate me.

Long story short, by being aware of and executing my rights I received $1,000 from an institution who certainly do not stay in business by giving people money (unless it has an interest rate akin to what a loan shark would expect).

$1k is not going to put a dent in the tyrants but the feeling of winning against them (even if seemingly small) is a great feeling!

Just thought I'd share my minor victory! Know your rights, use them when you need to and benefit from being one of the few people they have to deal with who ARE aware of their rights!

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
well done. i wasnt even aware that you could do that.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
You got fooled, the only winner here is the bank.
They still have your money as an account.
If you want to beat a bank, make em starve.
Close all bank accounts.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I had a similar situation years ago but wasn't as well compensated as you... I have been treated with much more courtesy since and got great interest rates on loans when I needed one.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
You got fooled, the only winner here is the bank.
They still have your money as an account.
If you want to beat a bank, make em starve.
Close all bank accounts.

I knew someone would pipe in with something like that and it's true, I'm a slave to them and their system etc. but when was the last time you exercised your rights to profit a grand ($1k) from your bank?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

dude, how did he get fooled for walking away with $1000?

OP - awesome stuff!! never thought/knew you could do that.....just awesome.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

I fought a bank too, all it took was a fake gun and a rubber chicken mask and guess what I beat your 1k and made 37k

BTW I have just woke up and am in a funny mood, BTW I didn't really rob a bank

OP well done fella, maybe you should have held out for more.
edit on 5-7-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
The only way you could put more icing on the cake is to close your accounts and set-up at a local credit union.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I hope you didn't deposit back that 1K to your account

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
So last month my bank (Commonwealth Bank of Australia) debited $300 from my savings account in to my personal loan- unauthorised and after I had already made that payment.

I call the loans department to be told to transfer $200 from my savings account in to my loan and I would be able to retrieve $500. Before doing so a few days later, I called again to confirm the process and received that confirmation.

So I speak with a manager in the loans department who tells me to transfer ANOTHER $100 then I could retrieve the $500 as the consultants I spoke with had not properly viewed my details and I was actually $100 behind on my loan. After another conversation I was promised that the money would be in my account so as I could pay rent when it was due.

When I went to pay rent it was not there, I contacted their compensation department and got the ball rolling...asking for $10k for stress, damage to the relationship with my landlord etc. etc.

They called and offered me $250...I declined and registered my dispute with the finance ombudsman.

Long story short, by being aware of and executing my rights I received $1,000 from an institution who certainly do not stay in business by giving people money (unless it has an interest rate akin to what a loan shark would expect).

$1k is not going to put a dent in the tyrants but the feeling of winning against them (even if seemingly small) is a great feeling!

Just thought I'd share my minor victory! Know your rights, use them when you need to and benefit from being one of the few people they have to deal with who ARE aware of their rights!

Well done thats what the world needs more freeloaders who want something for nothing.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics

Well done thats what the world needs more freeloaders who want something for nothing.

Yeah cos the banks aren't freeloaders in the slightest are they?

/sarc
How is the op a freeloader when the bank has HIS money and cocked up his payments?

What would happen if it was the other way round and it was he who owed the bank money? The bank would charge ridiculous interest and commence legal action, then take everything he possesses, and for years his credit would be ruined.

The bank gets off with £1000.

Why do you not criticize that?

ETA: Well done op. Good to hear that the bank didn't get to keep all it's swag this month

edit on 5-7-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Good for you but that would NEVER happen here in the states.

I have Wells Fargo telling me I'm late on my safe deposit box from October 2011 and if i don't pay 55 dollars they will take 80 at the end of this month. I don't have a safe deposit box with them and I just opened my account in April!

I went into a local branch and found out the deposit box is from 2000 when I worked for First Union. The funny thing is when I left FU I closed my bank account and safe deposit box, a deposit box I never even used! Everyone was given a safe deposit box free while employed there and when I left I closed it. So now 12 yrs later they are saying i"m late from 2011...Amazing. I got nowhere with the manager, she got an attitude with me over it and I got one right back. She told me to leave and I told her where to stick it. If it doesn't get fixed I will close my account and go back to my prepaid Wal Mart VISA that I used for 5yrs and NEVER had one problem!

Banks are evil institutions who don't give a crap about the customer, only money and what they can get from you.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

in the republic of the united states....
bank robs you

-subfab

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I remember when I was a kid and had no real responsibility, I payed numerous enormous bank fees for many reasons.
Then one check bounces and it all cascades until you are hundreds or even a thousand in debt to the bank.
Ever since I closed all bank accounts, I have paid $ 0.00 in fees and transactions!!!
Multiply that by a few decades and I'm sure I'm ahead.
You knew someone would comment, then you knew it was a valid stance.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1beerplease
reply to post by g146541

dude, how did he get fooled for walking away with $1000?

OP - awesome stuff!! never thought/knew you could do that.....just awesome.

How many others have done this?
I'd bet you could count them on one hand.
Lose a million win a thousand, or from the banks perspective, lose a thousand win BILLIONS.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Yo , nice 1 bruvva !!!!! Pay no attention to the sheep who posted earlier .After researching my "rights" & following the necessary steps I was able to get CBA to reverse $4077 of "legal expenses" they had added to my home loan.I agree with the feeling you get .Fight for your rights people.
cheers
fotsy

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Definitely a valid stance mate, no argument whatsoever I'm just stoked that I received the 'banking error in your favor; collect $1k card'

To CrimsonMoon who called me a free loader; you're a goose mate, go and jump. I work my ass off for just over minimum wage and spend it wisely with local business in my community etc. wherever I can and use my cash to make sure my girlfriend has everything she wants, pay my rent on time and keep on top of things.

You're the free loader; free load o' BS deliverer.

You sound a bit resentful and senile..

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Agreed, the get a grand free card is nice.
Now git yer cash out before they charge you to death!

Chances of that happening again are slim.
And about the freeloading comment, lol banks have done much worse and continue to.

top topics

join