It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns blamed for starting wildfires in parched West

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Officials fear guns are starting wildfires all across the western half of the country. Not 1 iota of proof but, what the hay? The rest of the government is passing laws left and right using unsubstantiated rumors. I see it's possible. I had a tactical shotgun that belched a 5 foot flame when I shot it. Then again, you shoot it at a pile of flammable material such as dead grass or leaves, the blast blows any fire out. I think it's just another gun grab.
AZ Central

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

i blame fireworks i call b/s on guns

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
And the spoons are making me fat...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
They should blame spurs too. One time I saw a guy in a movie that wore spurs and every time he took a step his spurs sparked. No lie...

As silly as that is, I think putting the blame on guns (that heavily) is just as silly. I guess you have to blame it on something so it might as well be something dealing with the second amendment.

edit on 7/4/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Guns could cause a fire. And its not the muzzle blast. Any time the bullet strikes a hard surface with a glancing blow it makes a lot of heat and sparks. Youre talking about speed beyond mach 1 with some rounds, such as 5.56 nato. You can see it when the bullets hit the bullet trap at our local indoor range.

So the bullet could hit a rock next to dry grass and....

So, they should ask people to not target shoot in dry areas.

However, i remember a while back utah was whining because theyre not allowed to take guns away in emergencies. Wtf? Why would you take guns away?

Parking a car on dry grass with the grass touching the catalytic converter is a fire hazard also. Should we ban cars?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Maybe instead of reading the headline you should try reading the full article.

They don't specifically blame guns rather what type of ammo and targets being used.

Utah officials believe steel-jacketed bullets are the most likely culprits, given one shot that hits a rock and throws off sparks can ignite surrounding vegetation and quickly spread. Popular exploding targets are also blamed for causing wildfires. The bullets were recently banned on state and federal lands in Utah. Officials are telling sportsmen to use lead bullets that don't give off sparks when they hit rocks. Read more: www.azcentral.com...

Clearly not looking to make a gun grab, we are having an extraordinarily hot dry summer. Some common sense is required.

"We're not trying to pull away anyone's right to bear arms. I want to emphasize that," said Louinda Downs, a county commissioner in fire-prone Davis County, Utah. "We're just saying target practice in winter. Target practice on the gun Read more: www.azcentral.com...

Presumably the target shooters here know they caused it and reported it as such.

Among the recent fires, target shooters on June 21 ignited a blaze about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City that grew to about 9 square miles and forced 2,300 people to evacuate before it was contained. Read more: www.azcentral.com...

And this one as well.

In New Mexico, state forestry officials said a landowner was target shooting when one of his bullets hit a rock and sparked a small blaze. "This is a sign that we are very dry," said state forestry spokesman Dan Ware. "We're starting to see very unique ways of fire starting." Read more: www.azcentral.com...

Clearly there is probably a deal of speculation going on but none of the States citing weapon related fire ignition are ones that are in any hurry to curtail gun rights. Putting basic public and property safety right now is actually a good call on their part at this point in time. Come fall or a good period of rainfall will end the situation. Maybenow the flat earthers will start to care a bit more about climate change now that it isn't just affecting polar bears they will never see.
edit on 4-7-2012 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Either they're not even trying to come up with plausible stories anymore, they're just grasping at desperate straws as to some kind of explanation, or

They really are just that stupid.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Just as long as they don't use this reasoning at indoor ranges, I'm fine with it.

Outdoor ranges (when I lived in Utah) were great for rifles.

Indoor was better for sight adjustment.

Just my humble opinion.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
I think it's just another gun grab.
AZ Central

Almost saw a fire start today from fireworks today. In my front yard no less

I'm not the most intelligent person on the planet, however I do know that the flame from a gun usually isn't close enough to anything to cause a flame.

Heat from a spent casing usually isn't hot enough to start one either.

Gun grab it is. Only ignorant children will believe this story

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Guns can cause fires. The problem is too many people using guns for sports. So guns are for protecting yourself, twart off an invasion or overthrow a corrupt goverment. Id like to see all those beach wales grabbing their Winchesters with their butterfingers trying to go all Lybia on a corrupt government.

Guns are only part of the equation. See to it, that an organized responsible militia is formed around them. And dont go all professional Russian with your guns either.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I think the heat caused the conditions for fire, and fireworks are the most plausible cause. Sure guns could start a fire but this is fourth of july, fireworks are more common than guns this time of year. Now if it were new years different story.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

I have been in the west where conditions were so dry, you were not allowed to pull over because the heat of the car will set the grass on fire.

I witnessed a massive fire in Oklahoma that was started by a stray shell that was shot at Ft. Sill.

Yes, it is very possible.

There are these people who are are in fire forensics who can see when and how a fire starts. They can also recall weather events to see if lightning was a culprit.
edit on 5-7-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
It was not the shotgun or the specialty ammo called dragons breath the only thing to blame is the guy and his poor judgement.

As always with all things "guns" it's the person behind the trigger and you can't give every potential gun owner a "stupidity test".

For those who do not know what dragons breath youtube videos will show all just like this one:

The guy is to blame not the ammo or the gun people really need to get that.

new topics

top topics

join