It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Attempt To Raid Garage Sale with AirSoft gear, Get Kicked To Curb (video)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quoop
reply to post by AgentSmith

Actually if you don't want someone on your property you have the right to remove them from the property. the cops weren't there to look at the goods. They were there because they recieved an anonymous call, read my above post.

And the retard award goes to..... YOU!! Congrats man

i think the award goes to you... you are both supporting the same point.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Went back watched the whole video again, that lady was very combative the entire time. If he would have announced himself sooner it would have helped, however once he did she acted as selling what looks to be guns. I don't know air soft guns, or a real gun unless I look at it up close. This lady was ridiculous the cop told you why he was on the property and even told her I just need to check and I'll leave. He wasn't even being rude, he told them to step back and let him do his job. Protecting the other citizens, if she didn't want him to come on the property then cover the guns up or keep them in the house.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by six67seven

Originally posted by Sek82

Originally posted by Romekje
reply to post by Sek82

If they had probable cause, a search warrant would be easy to obtain.

They had no warrant, so they had no right.

And cmon, as if ANYONE would sell an actual M4A1 out in the open in a garage sale?

Law enforcement does not need a warrant to search or seize evidence that is "in plain view" if the officer has a right to be where the evidence is first spotted along with reasonable suspicion a crime may be in progress. Since it was visible from the sidewalk, they had the right to investigate further without a warrant.

It's clear to me this was a case of trolling for police response. Carry on with your police bashing, I'm walking away from this one as well.

If that's the case, and they don't need a warrant to search, then these cops didn't do their job did they? If thats the case, then they need to take additional training so they know how to do their jobs, after all, any mistake on the job can get them killed. But I will say they did a good job of NOT escalating the situation. Hooray for passive police!

Agreed, I was shocked that the officer complied. I have seen it numerous times when someone speaks up about there rights and the cops just get in your face a lot more.

I do believe that if more people begin standing up for their rights to the end, that police officers will take notice. Hopefully. Then they can start treating us with respect. Hopefully, but highly doubt it.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by denynothing
reply to post by HarbingerOfDoom

It's a garage sale where most items are in plain sight, including an object that looked like an AK 47. The cop had a complete right to inspect what is in plain sight. Its just like if you had a bong on a table that you could see from the outside, a cop could legally come in and investigate.

There is a store right next to a pizza place that has a bong, or is the "PC" term a hooka, showcased in the window...do the police have to right to investigate. Doesn't mean your smoking illegal drugs in it. No different if I sell it or a business does. I'm not sure of the laws where the individual lives regarding gun sales, but where I live you are allowed to buy and sell privately owned firearms.
edit on 5-7-2012 by HarbingerOfDoom because: edit

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Quoop

Hello? McFly? I wouldn't even be surprised if the woman called the police herself or got one of her friends do. You could see the guns from the street, someone calls the cops, they arrive, they see the guns, they investigate. Simples.
She's with 'Cop Watch', 'knows her rights', 'they know her', 'another complaint', etc, etc. The woman clearly likes to create a scene, engineer little 'scenes' like this and try and use it as some sort of ammunition. If someone had called the police and said that guns were in the house, they'd gone smashing in and shot everyone up... Then maybe I'd see your point. But that's not what happened is it? They didn't go into someone's house and spend hours searching it without a warrant. They turned up on a tip off and could see the guns clearly there from the street, it's so blatantly obvious that the woman is looking for trouble only a retard couldn't see it...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Ya know....
What the freak is the big deal if the guy comes to look?

It's not like they got classified documents on the table. It's air soft guns.

My dad used to have a sign on the wall of his business it read, "It's nice to be important. But it's more important to be nice."

What happened to being nice? The lady is like GTFO. Why couldn't she just of said, "They are just air soft guns."

She could of taken the cops aside and showed them. No big fuss no muss.
Hell I would of taken the opportunity to make a sale of the guns to the cop.
Maybe he's into air soft or uses air soft for training.

She sounds like a giant douche because the cops were called by someone who thought these were real weapons.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Okay Ben I like your threads but this one... I'm not taking the bait.
So they are selling Airsoft guns, no big deal once that is known. But they could very well be real M4s from a distance, can they not? They got a call from some other concerned citizen and are just responding to it.

So residents are holding a Garage Sale, and when a cop steps up to check out the wares, the "Private Property" card gets pulled and I'm supposed to side with the idiots selling this stuff?

This can be compared to that guy who was questioned by police while carrying an arsenal of weapons, you are right. They are trolling for police response just to put it on YouTube while crying about their rights being infringed upon.

Probably been asked somewhere in here but is it legal still to sell guns you own even at a yard sale. I know it used to be legal here in CA many years ago I sold a gun. What is the law if you want to sell a gun anyway?

I don't know my rights I think...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dizrael

Actually if you don't want someone on your property you have the right to remove them from the property. the cops weren't there to look at the goods. They were there because they recieved an anonymous call, read my above post.

LOL I changed my mind, you clearly have the award shined and in your mantle. We are supporting opposite points, in case you don't notice.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
There probably was no complaint, the police probably where driving past and saw the airsoft guns and thought, "oh, I fancy some of that stuff for myself" and where gonna confiscate them until the woman off camera showed that she knew her rights, and they thought "ahh, cant get away with this one, move on, nothing to see here!"
edit on 5-7-2012 by DARREN1976 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

These people, while rambling on about their private property and rights wasted our tax payer money, plain and simple. Attention hoars.

About the time she said who she worked with, it crossed my mind that they created a set up for these cops to walk into. I would have let them look had it been me, but like I said...I guess they stood on principle. It would have taken them less than 5 minutes to be gone, but would have cost much more money had they stopped to get a warrant to look at wares being sold 10 ft off the curb.

If it would have been in the home I would have stood on their principle with them. It appears that the LEO's did overstep as they did back off the property and when they do things like that there will be folks pasting it everywhere. I guess one can make it into a "slippery slope"/"give them an inch" argument. But this just would not have upset me this much. Of course I would not have had a camera and would have probably been thrown to the ground for my belligerence.

edit on 7/4/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

Ok this is another confusion for me. I know that in CA it is a right for ANYONE to walk on your sidewalk or up to your front door. It is not considered private the entryway unless it is posted for people to keep-out they can walk into your place.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by HarbingerOfDoom

Does the bong have piece that holds the weed? If so then yes the cops have every right to come into that store and ask questions and even take the bong away. The bong with the piece equals drug paraphernalia. A hookah is completely different from a bong and is not inherently illegal. Plus its a store, so the cops can come in at will, just like a walmart or a 7/11

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

LOL you still haven't answered my question? An anonymous call doesn't mean cops can enter the property. Regardless if SHE called the cops, because you believe that for some idiotic reason. If that were the case I don't believe the camera would have been so shacky and I'll prepared. But believe what you want. I can see your getting extremely butthurt

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I think the whole situation got blown way out of proportion. The cop should have stayed off the property, explained why he was there and asked if he could have permission to check the weapons being sold. Thats proper procedure. The 4th amendment clearly states your rights against warrant-less search and seizure.
On a side note-since when is it illegal for a private citizen to sell their firearms to another private citizen?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I still say they were trolling for police response and that's all there is to it here, nothing more nothing less.

I don't see anything wrong with doing that. They set up a situation in which the police had the choice to either act legally or illegally. They chose to act illegally. If they actually believed they were within their legal rights to search this person's property, why didn't they continue their search? Why didn't they tell the woman that they had every right to be on her property? Why did they back off? Quite simply, it's because they knew they were in the wrong.

Sure it's easier and cheaper sometimes to just ignore citizens' rights. That's why they do it.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

Okay Ben I like your threads but this one... I'm not taking the bait.
So they are selling Airsoft guns, no big deal once that is known. But they could very well be real M4s from a distance, can they not? They got a call from some other concerned citizen and are just responding to it.

So residents are holding a Garage Sale, and when a cop steps up to check out the wares, the "Private Property" card gets pulled and I'm supposed to side with the idiots selling this stuff?

This can be compared to that guy who was questioned by police while carrying an arsenal of weapons, you are right. They are trolling for police response just to put it on YouTube while crying about their rights being infringed upon.

There is so much apathy of thought here it is staggering. The cops infringed on there rights plan and simple. But the fear of the big bad gun has clouded your very thought.
Don't get me wrong cops have a tough job and just like anything there are good and bad workers.

So if I have a yard sale and a cop goes by sees something he likes and wants to look at it...can he? I am pretty confused at my rights.
What should they do if someone has a report of guns being sold...right now...right on the street? If it is illegal in that state?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
My feeling is this was a set up to gain material.
Its so obvious to me, but thats just my opinion.

Private property rights or not.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
This was a complete overreaction by the folks holding the sale..

Someone called the police, (who hasn't had a nosy neighbor), and they thought that there were weapons being sold...

The Police respond, show up, to check the sale.. the sellers had nothing to hide, and this would have been done in a minute flat, if they just let them verify that no firearms were for sale. Once they saw that it was airsoft stuff, they would have thanked the sellers for their time, logged the info, and moved on..

It's getting ridiculous these cop bashing events.. :shk:

Yes and no, I agree with you, a lot of cop bashing does go on, but complacency kills as they say, cant get too complacent when it comes to all walks in life, somebody has to watch the watchers, as it where.....

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dizrael

LOL I changed my mind, you clearly have the award shined and in your mantle. We are supporting opposite points, in case you don't notice.

Originally posted by AgentSmith
reply to post by Quoop

Hello? McFly? I wouldn't even be surprised if the woman called the police herself or got one of her friends do. You could see the guns from the street, someone calls the cops, they arrive, they see the guns, they investigate.

They turned up on a tip off and could see the guns clearly there from the street, it's so blatantly obvious that the woman is looking for trouble only a retard couldn't see it...

reply to post by JacKatMtn

Alright bro, can I have your address? I'm gonna call the cops and tell them your selling m4's out of your basement. They're just gonna take a few hours to rip your house apart. Just doing their job after all since one person called and complained.

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Regardless of wherever or not it's legal to exclude/include any specific person or groups of people from a yard sale, if you have a bunch of weapons that look realistic and illegal from a distance on display I'd be pretty worried if the cops didn't want to have a look.
I expect the same people would complain if some local nutter had a machine gun on display in his window and one day used to it shoot up the neighborhood, of course the police couldn't do anything because it was on private property...
And aren't there some sort of reasonable cause/suspicion laws in the US? Common sense would suggest that the sight of what appear to be weapons in plain sight would warrant a quick inspection.

unless you are the WORST at sarcasm, sure sounds like the same point being made here...

so either you get that award, or you get the one for sucking at sarcasm. you pick.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Quoop

So are you saying they shouldn't even have turned up to have a look? Just ignored the call maybe? What should they have done when they turned up and could indeed see what appear to be weapons for sale, clearly for sale in the yard? And you keep going on about 'entering her property' like they went smashing into her house, when they actually turned up to her yard sale where by default you would imagine anyone is invited. Or should anyone turning up ask for special permission?
If you have illegal weapons, do you think it would suffice to just keep them on the lawn? Because it's on private property so the police wouldn't be able to do anything? What exactly would constitute reasonable cause/suspicion to you? Letting a few shots off in the air? Shooting some bystander?

You seem to be having trouble thinking, so I'll ask you a basic scenario based question and see if you can answer with any degree of common sense or intelligence:

You're a police officer and receive a tip off someone is selling what appear to be illegal guns in their backyard, you drive to the property and see them from the road. What do you do now? And if you say something retarded like "wait a couple of days/hours/etc for a warrant" or frankly anything else other than walking over to inspect them thanks for proving my point.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This reminded me of a time in my life when i had a very crappy neighbor 3 houses on over 400 acres of land.

The middle house who were the only ppl to rent out there had some horses that they were not taking care of at all, and when I saw them use a back hoe to take a horse to the back of the property and leave it in sun to die in humanly, I called the APS on them within 30 minutes the guy came out over saw the horse shot it to put it down then handcuffed the neighbor to jail.

2 weeks later I had a knock on my door from Child Protective Services, They told me the had a anonymous tip that my children were bring mistreated and living in filth. Now I owned my land and house no mortgage I kindly asked to see their Search warrants if they wanted in my house, Was told We don't need one and tried to come in. I walked over to the gun safe pulled out my 45 and said you enter my house without a search warrant I will take that as a threat to my children's safety and you wont make 1 step further before you drop.

They left and came back the next morning with the sheriff and the proper Search Warrant in hand, I assured the sheriff the gun was back in its lock opened the door and said welcome to my home.

I had nothing to hide but i knew who called the CPS and it was a BS charge and I knew my rights and I used them to my advantage.

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS and don't let any type of bully abuse you one in power or not!
edit on 5-7-2012 by HolydarknessVA because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join