It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Attempt To Raid Garage Sale with AirSoft gear, Get Kicked To Curb (video)

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
You know I just decided to watch the video again more carefully at the beginning of it.

I found it made me feel really bad to see a grown man doing his job humiliated by a woman like that.

It was clear the camera was already waiting as the car came and as the officer walked up he clearly had, had many probably similarly humiliating dealings with this person and that is why it was not as smooth as it could have been.

He went right to the guns...looked...note one is hanging up so that it can clearly be seen and not just on the table. He looks at them, she barges up telling him he has no right to be there before he even gets a breath.

I would not want anyone to be treated like that for doing their job. Don't enough REAL incidents happen to catch on video without stupid people making up scenes and using their little kids to do it?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
reply to post by Masterjaden

You could have shortened your post down a lot if you said, "I don't understand the law, but here's my interpretation of the events based on my limited understanding of a constitutional amendment."

Even if the phone call was an anonymous tip, once he arrived and saw items that resembled firearms, he had the authority to investigate said items. He didn't have the authority to do an entire search (something that would require a search warrant), but he did have the authority to walk up to the items that were in clear view from the street, as the anonymous tip and the items together were enough to warrant such an action. After he investigated those items, he got off the property as asked.

Actually maybe YOU should learn the law. While I don't consider the Supreme court the final authority, the supreme court has ruled that someone possessing a firearm in public IS NOT reasonable suspicion of a crime taking place.

Only an actual SALE of a firearm would have constituted an illegal act. That's why when cops bust prostitutes they have to wait until money either changes hands or a deal is made.

So, even had they been ACTUAL firearms, until a deal has been made and or money has changed hands, nothing illegal has been done, no crime, no just cause for intruding on private property and touching or seizing property that they do not have consent, or a warrant allowing them to do so...

So, again, maybe YOU should find out what the law says before spouting off with BS....

Jaden

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
You know I just decided to watch the video again more carefully at the beginning of it.

I found it made me feel really bad to see a grown man doing his job humiliated by a woman like that.

It was clear the camera was already waiting as the car came and as the officer walked up he clearly had, had many probably similarly humiliating dealings with this person and that is why it was not as smooth as it could have been.

He went right to the guns...looked...note one is hanging up so that it can clearly be seen and not just on the table. He looks at them, she barges up telling him he has no right to be there before he even gets a breath.

I would not want anyone to be treated like that for doing their job. Don't enough REAL incidents happen to catch on video without stupid people making up scenes and using their little kids to do it?

HE doesn't have any right to be there.

Having a gun hanging on a rack is NOT a crime. Without witnessing a crime, or having reasonable suspicion to believe that a crime HAS ALREADY been committed, he cannot go onto private property just to MAKE SURE that a crime hasn't been committed.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Well, I know a lot of cops and if someone did that to them those people would have problems in the future. If I was a cop I would be watching these people myself and within a month they would be paying a fine or put in jail just for being a jerk. If they were airsoft guns than what was the harm of letting the police see them. The fact that they weren't allowed to see them makes them think that the people are guilty. Maybe there was something stolen for sale at the sale that they didn't want the cops to see. The people here were definitely jerks looking for internet glamour. Or like I said they had something there that was hot.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

It was a yard sale. We've established this. A concerned citizen called it in. We've also established this. The cop had no choice but to investigate. It's the law. We've established this as well.

What part of "safe community" escapes your little brain? One would think you were born in the back hills of Louisiana.

Without witnessing a crime, or having reasonable suspicion

Exposed firearms at a yard sale is reasonable cause. I'm glad you don't live near me...I'd be worried for my life, the way you treat this. No crime has to be committed for public safety to be at risk. It's called NEGLIGENCE.
edit on 5-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Someone called it in so there was probable cause. One citizens concerns can give reason for the police to be there. If I was the cop I would have got a search warrant and tore apart their house.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Jaden doesn't understand the concept of "must investigate every call". I should know, I've been in those situations. Multiple times.

And you know what? The cops ask a few questions, make sure I'm not doing anything illegal (not a hard process) and they let me go on my way. But some people apparently believe that their rights come before anyone else's safety. Pfft.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Double post, with a side order of irritation.
edit on 5-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
reply to post by Sek82

No mate, the douches that called the cops wasted police time! These people in the video didn't ask the cops to come okay! Why do you hate law abiding citizens so much?

right? as if the home owners are actually going to sell real guns in their front yard. you can tell the cops have a problem with the property owners because they say they've dealt with them before, so it's obvious the cops were looking for any excuse to harass them.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

My favorite part:

"You dealt with me? I'm from Cop Watch, I dealt with you!"

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Okay Ben I like your threads but this one... I'm not taking the bait. So they are selling Airsoft guns, no big deal once that is known. But they could very well be real M4s from a distance, can they not? They got a call from some other concerned citizen and are just responding to it.

That makes absolutely no sense. Those people have probably lived in that neighborhood for years, and in a neighborhood everybody knows everybody and there are no such things as secrets. Now what rational criminal would be selling fully automatic weapons in broad daylight in front of God and everybody and where cops can see? And to little kids no less (who wouldn't have the cash anyway). They wouldn't.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I may be about to display my ignorance, but at this moment I really am not sure about this. So, like any good forum member, I will talk first and research later -

Edit to add: in keeping with my poor attention to detail, I didn't realize how much this thread had grown... so for those curious, my post is in reply to a post on the 1st or 2nd page of this thread oops!!

I did not realize that it is illegal to sell legally owned fire arms from one legally qualified citizen to another. In fact, I was under the assumption that the gun need not be registered before or during the purchase, by the customer purchasing the gun.

When a gun is purchased new, there must be proper paperwork and background checks done, but when that person decides to sell their weapon to another person, none of that paperwork or background checking is required.

The burden of responsibility is carried by the weapon's purchaser to determine their capacity for gun ownership within in the confines of the law. If the purchaser has government gun ownership restrictions applied to them, it is their responsibility to adhere to those restrictions by not attempting the purchase or ownership of a fire arm (felony or other limiting restrictions they may have placed on them)

I am not completely sure about that, and even more uncertain as to the following;

It may be possible to sell personal fire arms, from a private property location, to any individual who wishes to purchase fire arms under this scenario.

I do know that firearms can be purchased, without background checks or application of gun registering forms, at local gunshows.

Eitherway, it is awesome to see people, who not only know their rights, but also fail to be too scared or too intimidated to invoke their rights when the time comes.

Many of the news stories about gunowners being shot and killed can definitely create apprehension in those who know their rights. Many fear the lengths some officers are willing to go to in order to remain in control of the situation and teach the citizens a 'lesson'.

edit on 5-7-2012 by esteay812 because: explaned in the post

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron
reply to post by Ben81

My favorite part:

"You dealt with me? I'm from Cop Watch, I dealt with you!"

LOL agreed
her reply to the cop diserve a star

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I wonder if those airsoft had red plastic inserts as required by law?
My guess is yes they did and they were ignored by the person that called it in and the responding officers or it would have been an issue for citation.
How would this have ended if the child holding the camera was holding an airsoft with a red tip instead?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Sorry, but the whole thing is a set-up; all of these "informed & educated free citizens" should know that a primary investigation to ascertain whether or not a weapon is real or not is probable cause and these cops had every right to be on that private property. Any cop that has been thru the first couple of weeks of training knows that. This whole thing was staged, I believe, to make cops in general look like a bunch of buffoons, while the citizens look empowered. People are empowered without having to stage a production to bring unnecessary animosity towards LEOs. At least thats what a critical analysis of multiple viewings of the video show me.... Not saying I couldnt be wrong, but thats what I think, until further evidence or proof otherwise...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wilsonilperso

Yeah it's stagged. They make it pretty obvious, at least to me.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Previous posters seemed to have researched CA law and sales must be through a dealer. They made no mention of second hand excluded.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Hmm... I am not very sharp on the laws really, but I believe guns can be sold privately, from one individual to another, without papers... I will look more into it here (Tennessee)

They can also be owned as 2nd owner weapons without papers registering it to it's new owners. I believe that is an option, but not a requirement. I will go ahead and look for the exact law. I would have searched before posting, but between my laziness and believing an ATS member would know, but I didn't

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
If they had tasered, pepper sprayed, and handcuffed the citizens while confiscating the 'weapons' then I might have been on their side.

In this case, they were simply behaving irrationally. That situation would have ended in a few minutes with a 'have a nice day' if they had complied. I used to be quite the airsoft enthusiast in my younger years, and know how to deal with the authorities while in possession of airsoft guns.

This is not at all comparable to say, a cop detaining someone for legally open-carrying.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Just looked up copwatch, it's a radical group that lists cops that are corrupt. I saw no corruption by the police here, just a follow up of a police complaint from a concerned citizen. Looks like these people were setting up these cops to get information to post on the sight. They may not have even been selling those airsoft guns. Why do people blow up a good thing like the cop-watch program by filling the site with fabricated evidence. Pretty soon all the cops in the country will be listed on this site by someone they once arrested with setups like this one.

Some communities do not allow guns out in public without a case and that does include your own yard. This type of laws were created to give people a clue to something that may happen somewhere. This keeps the cops from pulling a gun on someone and possibly killing them if the people respond wrongly. It's not my town, I don't know their particular laws. If you flaunt guns around on your property in town you should expect the cops there because it's their job to protect the public.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join