It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Attempt To Raid Garage Sale with AirSoft gear, Get Kicked To Curb (video)

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Originally posted by Iwinder

reply to post by Iwinder

Yes it was funny, anyone here could figure out which city this happened in fairly fast.

Ottawa or Toronto ?
edit on 7/4/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

Closer to Detroit and I will leave it at that..... I am not being cryptic but there still might be jobs at stake even after all these years.

Regards, Iwinder

i though you were talking about the mounties in Canada lol
my mistake .. no need to identify anyone
the only job at risk would be the cop abusing his autority to show off in front of his new GF

I was talking about the Mounties here in Canada, almost every city or large town has a detachment that is active.

They are the boys and girls whom have a real dedication for the job..

Hit any big or medium city here and you will find the RCMP and hit any rural area and your bound to come across them even more.

I hope this clears it up a bit, they are here in Canada and almost everywhere.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by coldkidc
What a ridiculous setup...
Those officers actually handled it quite well - they weren't trying to beat anyone down or strip search them without cause or randomly detain people...

All they were doing was responding to a call - There are so many other occurrences where there are truly problematic LEO interactions out there - why don't we discuss some of those? [/quote

"we were responding to a call/complaint" Is an excuse they all use.
If I phone them and tell them of the laws obama has broke will they respond?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dizrael

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by AfterInfinity

They didn't see them, "they got a call" about people who "may be" selling firearms. It had nothing to do with the "seeing" them "in the open".

-SAP-
edit on 5-7-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

once they were on the spot, not yet on the property, they DID see them, thus the probable cause to enter. end of story.

Exactly, the same as if you are stopped for speeding and they see a baggie of pot in your car in plain sight...they then can search your car.
I know because i was in a jury on just such a case in CA.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
I am not aware that it is against any federal law to sell legal firearms or legal weapons at a garage sale.
The police should been aware if they knew her and seen cameras in their face and could just ave simply asked if they were selling firearms.

Against the law in state in question as noted plus the laws in question noted in dozens of previous posts.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I watched the video, but haven't read the entire thread. I've a couple of observations. One is that it definitely sounds like she's had run-ins with them before, which leads me to believe they were probably baited in for the purpose of a confrontation. Two, private property or not, if she is allowing the public to shop at her yard sale, she can't keep the police or anyone else out until after she has already baited them IN. At that point she can then ask them to leave.

All in all, if I were the cops, I would INVITE her to file her complaint, then I would push it until it got before a judge. I would then use her own video against her as evidence, since she put it in the public domain herself.

"Exercising your rights" isn't the same thing as "being an idiot", and foolishness like this makes it more difficult for people who are legitimately exercising their rights rather than merely trying to provoke confrontation for one of those "feel good" videos..

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I, too, was stopped by the Baltimore, Md police many years ago. I was carrying my guitar in a case to go and see a couple that I had just met (well, I had just met her, anyway), because she said her husband "liked to watch" if you know what I mean. And since I had just been released from a 16 month stretch in prison, it seemed like a good idea to me. The guitar was just an ice-breaker. So they confronted me on a public sidewalk and asked to look inside my case. Now, I knew it was within my rights to refuse and demand that a search warrant be served. But, after learning their reason, I decided to cooperate. You see, it seems that, just hours before, a music store nearby had been lost in a fire. Later I learned that it was ruled an arson. Whether they knew that at the time, I don't know. As it turned iut, though, I had the receipt for my guitar on me and provided it to them. This ended the whole affair in very short order. I kept my date, arriving early, and was not disappointed! This incident taught me a thing, or two.

It seems to me, when you conduct a garage sale, you are extending an open invitation to WHOMEVER would like to enter your property and look around...for whatever reason. Unless there was a sign stating that NO POLICE were welcome, the LEOs were perfectly within their rights to enter the property. However, when they were asked to leave, they should have gone to the sidewalk IMMEDIATELY. From there they could have continued to assess the situation...taken photographs, asked those leaving the sale whether the guns looked "real," etc. And if they had further reasons to suspect that the public safety was in peril, they could then claim probable cause, call for backup, and persued it further. Of course, this is only my opinion.

The more I think about it, the more it does appear to be a "setup" on the part of the property owners. I know fairly well that there are too many abuses of power on the part of the LEOs. And it is definitely true that every citizen has the right and obligation to know their rights according to the law. This applies especially to minorities, it seems, which appears to apply in this case. My first question is this: Is it illegal to sell "real" guns at a garage sale in this jurisdiction? I do not see why it would be. In any case, that is usually decided by the local municipality. In fact, where I live, you must have a permit just to have a yard or garage sale. Also, you may only conduct such sales on Thursdays through Saturday. And regarding the waste of taxpayers' money, if they had not been responding to this complaint, whether real or imaginary, they may very well have been in the local doughnut shop or convenience store doing what they do best. It's bad enough that the LEOs have an "us against them" mentality regarding the citizenry, whom they are supposed to be serving and protecting, but if we citizens adopt this same mentality, how will this all end? I think we would all be better served to think of ways we can help one another...and not be adversarial to eachother! We are all Americans. Aren't we?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
The worst things I saw the cop doing were lying about getting a call,

Please provide the link to your source that they never recevied a call.

1. My dog is trained to detect lies. When she watched the video, she looked at me with a blank expression on her face. That's her signal.

2. The officer was acting in a suspicious manner.

3. When I watched the video, the officer spit on me through my monitor. It doesn't show on the video, but it happened, you can take my word for it.

4. I could smell alcohol on the officer's breath. And if all else fails;

5. When I watched the video, I was in fear for my life.

Those statements can justify almost any action when uttered by a cop, so I figure I can use them to justify my wild accusations.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Kind of scary too what they are teaching their kid. Seems the kid will look at police in all forms as the enemy and a showdown always in order. Would like to see how that ends up.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I have airsoft guns, an m4 variant and a 9mm baretta lookalike. you can take these and place them next to the real thing, and you'd NEVER been able to tell the difference.
I think the LEOs had EVERY right to investigate what MIGHT be someone selling 'assault styled weapons' at a yard sale.

Also, funny how its a 'cop watch' person who JUST happens to be there, WITH a video camera, to catch the big bad cops, who happen to be acting on an anonymous phone call about someone selling weapons....
Setup anyone???

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by nenothtu

Kind of scary too what they are teaching their kid. Seems the kid will look at police in all forms as the enemy and a showdown always in order. Would like to see how that ends up.

Teaching their kids to never trust anyone is a good thing to do
but they also need to teach them respect
if you want the kid to have a good balance in life

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MasonicFantom

I know,this was a big set up and very poor one.

Stupid also.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
I have airsoft guns, an m4 variant and a 9mm baretta lookalike. you can take these and place them next to the real thing, and you'd NEVER been able to tell the difference.
I think the LEOs had EVERY right to investigate what MIGHT be someone selling 'assault styled weapons' at a yard sale.

Also, funny how its a 'cop watch' person who JUST happens to be there, WITH a video camera, to catch the big bad cops, who happen to be acting on an anonymous phone call about someone selling weapons....
Setup anyone???

hey homer

they probably called the cops themself from a cabin downtown

has soon the cops arrive .. the little girl already have a video filming their arrival
the parent probably told the girl to prepare herself before
even the cop notice it was a setup .. he dont even want to argu anymore
and just wants to go .. because this was a waste of time

usualy cops dont like to be filmed like that in their face .. the parent know that
and used their own kid to film them in the face
so they cant say nothing

This is my conclusion about it .. the setup is obvious

is it legal to make such setup ??
to waste the cops time like that
edit on 7/5/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Setup anyone???

hey homer

has soon the cops arrive .. the little girl already have a video filming their arrival

usualy cops dont like to be filmed like that in their face .. the parent probably know
and used their own kid to film everything

That's what I said when I saw that video. It was all stagged.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'm no fan of "The Law" using whatever tactics they desire however, in this case I really see nothing wrong with what the Police did.

Someone was selling Airsoft guns that would have appeared real from a distance. Police arrive to check it out. End of story. This lady is stirring trouble on purpose and not helping her "Cop Watch" cause. Hell, I even think the Cop who did most of the talking was being quite polite and well mannered considering he had her rabbiting on about her rights and private property.

Put it this way - If someone was selling suspect items near me or indeed, if I was selling something that could be mistaken for a dangerous weapon, I'd expect some sort of check by the Police. If it was done in the manner that these cops did then I've really got no issue. If they had of arrived, kicked the door in and tasered everyone then I'd be up in arms. As it stands, to me they were just checking something a local resident had reported on. No big deal.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I agree.
Let's all assume that this was a premeditated disturbing the peace crime and in the future anyone associated with copwatch, oathkeepers or any other of the sorts should be delt with by dirty harry 44 magnum style justice.
Let's also see if there is anyway we can monitor these peoples children.May be we could get cps to step in.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
This was a complete overreaction by the folks holding the sale..

Someone called the police, (who hasn't had a nosy neighbor), and they thought that there were weapons being sold...

The Police respond, show up, to check the sale.. the sellers had nothing to hide, and this would have been done in a minute flat, if they just let them verify that no firearms were for sale. Once they saw that it was airsoft stuff, they would have thanked the sellers for their time, logged the info, and moved on..

It's getting ridiculous these cop bashing events.. :shk:

Sorry but I can't follow that logic. Basically what you're saying is, its much easier to comply so just do it, who cares if they aren't following procedures that they in turn shoot people over. Sorry, but if you want me to follow the law to a t, then you damn well better too.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
If you make a cop look bad or get him in trouble with his/her department, you better be ready for them to try and nail you with anything they can to get paybacks. That cop should of handled that better by asking to speak with person running the yard sale, explain to them whats going on and ask if you can take a look.

Too many cops think just because they have a badge means they can do whatever the hell they want.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
"Exercising your rights" isn't the same thing as "being an idiot", and foolishness like this makes it more difficult for people who are legitimately exercising their rights rather than merely trying to provoke confrontation for one of those "feel good" videos..

Quoted for truth.

This woman is doing nothing but serving as a distraction and undermining public support in future instances when there is a legitimate abuse of power.

On a related note, some of you on the anti-cop bandwagon would do well to turn the rhetoric down a bit. Some of the legal interpretations defining personal "rights" in dealing with the authorities posted in support of this nonsense is flat out wrong.

Not everyone who reads these message boards have the experience and internal filters to know that ATS is bubblegum on par with tabloid entertainment like the Weekly World News.

Some of the false information being given along with the idiotic posts reinforcing the falsehoods because it sounds good to them is setting somebody up for a major problem in a future contact with law enforcement.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Just because we all don't agree about some video on this site does not mean that we all are anti police.
For now we need them however with so many laws and interpretations of laws it becomes hard to agree with over stepping and assumptions.
What on this thread would deserve a visit by officials.Would it be that some people get pissed of at freedom of speech and want to exercise more unwarranted and unjustified harassment.
I believe that the mods would just delete the post that break the t&c.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Setup anyone???

hey homer

usualy cops dont like to be filmed like that in their face .. the parent know that
and used their own kid to film them in the face
so they cant say nothing

Honestly, I don't think anyone likes to be filmed and have a camera in their face unless it is y family or with permission.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join