It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Android Director: ‘We Have the First Natural-Sounding Synthesized Voice in the World’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Ok, so recently I posted a thread about Apple's patent absurdity exposed at last and I kept wondering as to why Apple is being the way it is.

Some have come to the same conclusion as me where Apple WAS the brand to have, now it seems it's all about Androids.

Now Wired interviewed the guy responsible for making The world's first Natural-Synthesized Voice, Mr. Hugo Barra.

We set out to create the very first conversational voice, and I think we nailed that. I think we have the very first high-quality, natural-sounding, conversational, synthesized voice in the entire world.

When asked about having a voice to tell jokes, this is what he responded:

It’s very deliberately not making jokes with you. Google is a neutral party — it’s not your friend, secretary or sister. It’s not your mom. It’s not your girlfriend or boyfriend. It is an information retrieval entity. You ask, we respond. And it’s very important that this entity be impartial, and adding jokes and other mannerisms to the voice would take away from that.

I think the competition just started with Apple! Someone is going down!

Over to you!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Now that the "Droids" are done with beta mode, they will start blowing Apple out of the water.. Then again, this is going to force Apple to raise the bar as well.. next 2 - 4 years will be interesting in the cell phone world to say the least!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
They should also be wary of the Windows 8 platform. If the MS Surface pads take off and windows phone 8 being cross platform meaning that developers are using the same tools for both the desktop, pad and mobile phone then we could see a big change in the market.

Microsoft have also pissed off the OEM pad manufacturers because it's the 1st time MS have entered into the hardware market and this can only mean a good thing for us consumers. I can see a war about to start.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Droid!

Razr with ICS (for 2 days) I turned on the nav earlier to skirt some traffic and woah momma, except it wasn't, it was the droid lady telling me to turn left. She sounds really good for AI. star and flag, thanks OP

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Anywhere you could hear this voice recorded?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I think Android is a superior product and can't wait to hear "The Voice". I can't afford to upgrade just to hear it though.

In the end it will be Android vs. Apple... Deathmatch. I know who I would like to win, but it's all up to the users and their experiences. Nice to know that they are working harder than ever to compete at any rate.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
the lengths people will go to improve the x-rated experience on line

amazing

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I gotta go with the crowd on this one, I prefer Droid to Apple!!

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I think the android director is an idiot for taking away jokes and personality from the voice, opting to make it info retrieval instead.

When u add humor, emotion, quirkiness, then you create something the user bonds with. I cant believe how stupid and unintuitive all these top directors are.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Anyone buying Apple enjoys paying more for less. When you own less than 10% of market share and make over 80% of the profits you are ripping your customers off. This is why Apple wants to fight with Patent wars and not with the market, as Patent abuse is the only way they can do well. Also the reason I will never buy an Apple product, ever.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Adroid is going to have a bigger fan base. That doesn't mean it's better. Apple's always been more expensive and it'll stand that way.

But from a programmer's perspective - Android is still a mess. In terms of SDK there is no competition. Still. And it's been years. Google doesn't even give out a free PDF render library (every single PDF reader has to licence a library from a 3rd party). And it doesn't end there. The OS and it's SDK is just still inferior in terms of API. Writting a simple app in Objective-C is still easier than doing the same in Java for 'droid.

That will change in time. Don't know how much it'll take.

new topics

top topics

join