It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critisized because I like garden burgers! Health food Stigma?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
If this is in the wrong section please move mods: It is kinda food oriented little rant/question.

First off I would like to say that I am not a vegitarian, or a vegan. I eat meat and I enjoy it very much. All kinds of meat.

I had a buddy over last night, we were having a couple beers, workin on my Jeep, you know BSing. For some reason we got on the subject of food, and I mentioned I tried these new garden burgers and that I think they are friggen delicious!

Silence, then he kind of looked at me funny, like he was disappointed in me or something.......He jokingly made some smart ass remark, But me being who I am just kind of told him to "Piss off, they are good. Try one"

"Nahhhhh, If i want a burger I will have a real burger" While I agree that there is nothing like a nice juicy med rare high quality burger with all the fixens on some good bread, I am not substituting these garden burgers for hamburger because I don't like meat. I am eating them because I really enjoy the taste of them.

And to tell you the truth, they are a lot more forgiving an hour later also if you know what I mean. Not as much grease and fat.

Is there is some kind stigma that goes along with eating a veggie burger? Or eating healthy in general? Are veggie burgers not a masculine enough food? Hell I don't know.

It is a food, I find it ridiculous that people judge others by what they eat.

They are Morningstar Garden burgers by the way. Pretty damn good.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I don't understand the stigma.. It's simple if someone wants a REAL burger.. they will eat a REAL burger.. if not they can eat a vegetable disguised as a burger..

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Hmmmm - Doesn't look very healthy to me - I'll stick to Elk or Buffalo, thanks.

VEGETABLES (MUSHROOMS, WATER CHESTNUTS, ONIONS, CARROTS, GREEN BELL PEPPERS, RED BELL PEPPERS, BLACK OLIVES), TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WHEAT GLUTEN, WATER FOR HYDRATION), EGG WHITES, COOKED BROWN RICE (WATER, BROWN RICE), ROLLED OATS, CORN OIL, CALCIUM CASEINATE, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, SALT, WHEAT), CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF ONION POWDER, CORNSTARCH, SALT, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (CORN, SOY AND WHEAT), AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, SUGAR, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SPICES, GARLIC POWDER, DEXTROSE, JALAPEÑO PEPPER POWDER, CELERY EXTRACT.
Allergen Information:

CONTAINS SOY, WHEAT, EGG AND MILK INGREDIENTS.
edit on 4-7-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Thats all well and good but go back to the kitchen and make me a burger with MEAT!!!

Oh sorry I thought you was a girl
But I still want my MEAT burger

edit on 4-7-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Thats all well and good but go back to the kitchen and make me a burger with MEAT!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I eat both. They're both good; it just depends on my mood as to which one I feel like eating. From my past experience I would say some of the stigma comes from some vegetarians being overly preachy. I had a few times where someone said they eat a "vegetarian ..fill in the blank.." and it was followed by a lecture on how horrible meat is for you and how cruel it is to animals. Another part of it is the whole it is not manly to eat vegetarian stuff and that's probably where you're friend was coming from in this case. Diet stuff was always a "chick" thing. You had the right answer though. Do whatever you want and don't let other people bother you. People like people to be just like them and they'll make fun of, criticize and sometimes even use physical force in order to do so.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by llmacgregor

Hmmm, odd that someone would act that way about something that they most likely have never tried!

Anyhow, nothing against anyone who like veggie burgers, but Morningstar is totally GMO and garbage!

I am linking you a recipe for home made veggie burgers that is awesome without the added chemicals and up to you whether you buy GMO veggies or organic to make them!

Veggie Burgers

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

edit on 4-7-2012 by seeker1963 because: Double post..........

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I love meat burgers. Elk and buffalo are awesome..

It seems as if some think that it's not manly to eat a veggie burger. _____ing Dumb! Some think that if you eat a a garden burger or a salad you are a sissy. What I am wondering is the logic behind that judgment? I don't get it. I eat stuff because it taste good and like it.

I like them because they are just something different I guess.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Yeah, I figured that they had some gmo stuff in em.
It is hard to avoid kind of, I do make an effort though.

Thanks for the link. I will definetly be trying that.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Maybe it's just the presentation that seems a bit prissy/sissy - ie: buying your Garden or Veggie burgers instead of making your own and tossing them on the Grill or cooking them over a fire ... Have to admit, the latter does *seem a bit more manly, no?

edit on 4-7-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yeah, I figured that they had some gmo stuff in em.
It is hard to avoid kind of, I do make an effort though.

Thanks for the link. I will definetly be trying that.

It is very hard my friend! I try my best with the money I have though! You are welcome for the recipe! I hope it doesn't disappoint you.....

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Reminds me of something that would be in king of the hill.
Hank tries a "hippie burger" for the first time and tells his friends. They disown him because hes not living up to "manly" stereotypes that have blinded us all. Good job telling your friend off, you should be able to drink and eat what you want with out criticism. Whats wrong with a man drinking a so called "woman's drink", if it taste good then drink it. You should not limit your joyful experiences because of a stereotype.

Just be aware of what you are eating, they put some nasty # in those burgers. Look at the ingredients, I know for a fact boca and MORNING STAR (HAIL SATAN!!) is pure crap. Most fake vegi meat has some nasty # in it. QUAN is a company that makes vegimeat, its pure fungus and not the mushroom kind.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yeah, lol.

Primal instinct! never fails.

I'll even put bacon on a garden burger sometimes.

If perfectly cooked thick cut pepper bacon isn't the virtue of being a man, I don't know what is.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Its bad I know. But it taste so damn good.....
I will definetly be attempting at making my own though.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

People are so brain washed into believing that you NEED meat, and brain washed into believing that food does NOT matter, that just like anything else, there is peer pressure to conform to society.

And according to our horrible society, you're a stupid freak if every other bite that you eat isn't a meat product.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
My EX best friend and his fat wife eat at mcdonalds every day,,they gave me hell for being healthy,,,Im 160,,they are 260 and they also think they are NOT overweight,I never say a wrd to them about what they eat but they are obsessed with what I eat,if it comes from the health food store,they wont touch it..,,is your friend as bad as these morons ?
edit on 5-7-2012 by avatard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I think its more of a cultural thing...

A REAL MAN GOTTA EAT MEAT!

and MEN DONT CRY...

and ELECTRIC CAR DON'T FEEL MANLY!

I m waiting for the electric car to be perfected.. till then ill enjoy my hybrid..

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I don't think the Op's issue was with the health aspect.

I think it was more to do with being "frowned upon" for simply enjoying a burger that didn't have meat.

To the OP, eat what you want, if it hits the spot, life is too short to care about what others are going to think for eating some sort of burger .

Tired of people dissing others for eating any kind of food. I say enjoy !! ..and if it's full of chemicals and crap, so what ?..you get to leave this world a few years sooner.

The way things are going on this planet, that doesn't seem like a huge loss in the long haul.

I'm not talking about serious diabetics who drink a quart of whiskey, and fill themselves with sugary foods everyday , then complain about blood infections.

I'm just talking generally.

edit on 5-7-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by avatard

No, he is pretty healthy for now. Not overweight or anything.
I think he is starting to try to become a redneck, for some reason. The stereotype might have something to do with it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join