It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

happy 4th of July, freedom lovers, commies, cronie capitalists...etc.. unite, today is the day we ce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Happy 4th o July every one! I know we get under eachothers skin sometimes, and that is only natural given that we are all scattered across such a huge land, and seperated by many differing demographics. However, I think that there is at least one thing we all agree on, today is a day to celebrate, either with family and friends, or on your on the lake with a cooler of beer and a rod in your hand, with Hank playin on the radio. Whatever your flavor, color, race, religion, political beliefs I hope your doing your small part to enjoy your selfves today, and I invite you to share your stories of fun times past.

I mean rants don't always have to be negative right?

So I will go first.

My favorite 4th ever was back in 2003, I was home on leave and was taking my family to see the fireworks. My oldest was 3 ( now 12) and his little brother was 1. He had never seen the fireworks before, and when they started going off he freaked. Started crying and shaking, and hiding behind his mother and I. This led to the 3 year getting upset and scared, so I grabbed them both and set the on my lap, and began to tell them the tail, of George Washington, and the the founding fathers, and how the fireworks represent freedom, and that was the reason daddy was gone all the time, making sure that others get the same chance to sit with their kids and watch those fireworks years on down the road.

Now time passes, as is the case in the life, and faster than you know it, the oldest is 5, the baby is now the middle child, and we have a new 1 year old baby girl. Who ironically enough freaks when the fireworks start up. So mom and I are trying comfort her when her 2 older brothers sit down with her and start telling her the story about George Washington, and the founding fathers, and that those fireworks represent freedom, and that daddy is gone in the Army all the time to make sure others get to watch fireworks with their kids for years on down the road.

I rarely get choked up, but I stood there and watched the fireworks with tears in my eyes for the first time. And for the first time I really understood what freedom was, but more, what it is actually worth, and that my friends is a gift that I will take with me every step of the way down my lifes road.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Happy 4th of July.

Sadly this isn't going to be much of one for me, they banned firework displays around here this year due to the extreme dry heat. It's been record topping 95-105 degrees for the past week and a half.
edit on 4-7-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
In spite of the turmoil in America, I salute our soldiers.

And THANK YOU:
www.youtube.com...

I don't know how to embed much less shoot a gun.

So again, Thank you men and women of service.

Duly noted.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Nice story thanks for sharing.

Too bad they outlawed civilian use of fireworks where I live, ahhh freedom....

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Happy 4th of July.

Sadly this isn't going to be much of one for me, they banned firework displays around here this year due to the extreme dry heat. It's been record topping 95-105 degrees for the past week and a half.
edit on 4-7-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

= ) We have parades recognizing VETS, boats, para sailing, hot airballoons, ribs crackalackin, fireworks, and family.

And don't ask me which war the VETS should be been fighting in, or our current military. They don't ask either.

Bringem home safe and support them when they get back. They are US! (

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

Agreed, I never got to decide which fight I wanted to be in, and neither did any of my battle buddies. The only things we ever know for sure are, we will miss our loved ones, we hope to see them again, and our country said they needed us to do a job, so we do what soldiers do, we fight, we die, and most of the time we don't even know why. We just hope that in the end our sacrifices are enough to ensure the future, not just for ours, but for yours also.

Happy 4th ATS, I hope you all lived or are still living it up tonight.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by reddwhite
reply to post by niceguybob

Agreed, I never got to decide which fight I wanted to be in, and neither did any of my battle buddies. The only things we ever know for sure are, we will miss our loved ones, we hope to see them again, and our country said they needed us to do a job, so we do what soldiers do, we fight, we die, and most of the time we don't even know why. We just hope that in the end our sacrifices are enough to ensure the future, not just for ours, but for yours also.

Happy 4th ATS, I hope you all lived or are still living it up tonight.

You have no idea how much I ache for you people in and out of the military that served.
I take your battles personal on and off the field.

Can't say thanks enough.

top topics

join