It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Experiences. A Writer writing about writing.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Good post.

I started writing my first story at LEAST 5 years ago now. It really did come from a dream.

A lot of it at first was written while waiting in airline terminals on business trips. After a while it started to become something and I let a few people read it. It was about half finished and unedited. I was surprised to hear back that everyone said it was pretty good.

Then one person who liked it bluntly told me "The difference between professional writers and amateur writers is that professional writers finish their books."

That was the kick in the pants I needed to finish that book. I kept working on it and finally finished it.

The first really cool thing was holding the physical printed book in my hands, the cover art just right, flipping through the pages.

The second cool thing was having someone actually and honestly come up and tell he how reading the book has affected them. To hear how the first part made them mad because it didn't go as they expected, then this part was cool because of such and such and then that part was cool... To hear the words "I didn't want to put it down but I had to because it was 1AM and I absolutely had to have some sleep" really does stick in my mind.

To think that something *I* created from scratch, for fun, directly gave someone real enjoyment is heart warming.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

No. You're wrong. To opt for anything other than that which inspires anyone's true "passion" is simply "settling" for something "safer" than exploring the journey which will be required of those who follow their own creative "muse".
If you already recognize this in your daughter, your responsibility will be to nurture and encourage her special talents. She will need a lot of support in this world of mediocrity. Your understanding will be invaluable to her development.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by djmarcone

Congrats!

I always enjoy hearing success stories.

One day, soon I hope, and mine will be in print also.

Thanks for replying.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by QueSeraSera

I don't disagree, but our culture has a very basic mistrust of artists and writers from the jump. We simply don't consider art "work," and fewer and fewer people want to pay for it. If I run an office which specializes in creating computer software for high speed trading, I am a productive citizen. If I create a stand-alone graphic novel, write an entire record, or pen short stories, I am a layabout with delusions of grandeur. The only exception are those who create "art" for strictly commercial reasons at the largest publishers and studios, and even then -- its a grudging kind of respect, with lots of caveats.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join